Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » City Bird profiled in Model D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2823
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to DYes'r Andy Linn and sis Emily for the nice write-up of their City Bird business in this week's Model D!

I've seen their Detroit-themed merchandise at area locations. They make great gifts! (Aside to Andy: Bring on those tote bags!)
Check them out: City Bird Kids Love Detroit (and Hope You Do, Too)http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/citybird13908.aspx

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom loves your soap andy

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 807
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much Kathleen! Very kind of you to notice it and post! The people on this forum are so nice. [most of the time. :-) ]

And by the way those totes are a go. We actually already delivered a preliminary batch to Bureau, but I believe they sold out. We will have more soon!

- and thanks, chuck (chitaku)

see the website directly:

http://www.ILoveCityBird.com

(Message edited by andylinn on April 16, 2008)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy,

The Bureau used to have tote bags that looked like an x-ray. They had a gun in the x-ray image. Were those yours? They sold out last year before Christmas.

Andylinn

Post Number: 808
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, fishtoes, not those. We had totes with maps of Detroit on them. Bureau will have more soon.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats Andy! keep up the good work.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay for City Bird! You guys are an inspiration for people who just want to make their shit happen.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Andy. I will keep my eyes peeled for the tote bags. I need to retire a couple of other well-used Detroit-themed tote bags that I haven't been able to replace.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to say "congrats" right now, however I will reserve myself for the proper moment in time. I think your products Andy, are definitely interesting, unique and obviously an inspiration to many—including myself. I wish you the best of luck and hope your business becomes even more comprehensive and that your product-line, and share of the market increase.

Oh, and remember one thing...

“The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax.”
-Albert Einstein
(I figured this would be enjoyed considering the current date)

I also think this one is appropriate...

"The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can give for a dollar, is bound to succeed."
-Henry Ford

Good luck sir—it's a long road ahead.

Andylinn

Post Number: 809
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, R.F.B.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Andy and company!

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along these lines (somewhat), my wife and I were considering buying some reusable-type bags for groceries, and I wanted to try and find something with a Detroit or Michigan theme. Maybe I need to keep my eyes and ears open for your upcoming release.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, when do you expect a full line of tote-bags to be available? I could use one for a birthday gift. Thanks for offering such great products! It is always a pleasure to spend my money locally when possible.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got some of your pins for my bf's birthday. Fishtoes, the bags you are talking about are by Fred, I have a set. They sell their wares at a number of stores in the area.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 6nois. I'll keep looking around.

Andylinn

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gang, as of 1:56am today, the city bird website now stocks a full range (9 colors) of detroit map totes!

thank you so much for the encouragement, kind words, and requests. check out the totes:

http://www.ilovecitybird.com

click on the accessories section, the picture on the front page, or news article on the right to reach the dandy new totes.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how many bars of soap do you have to buy to get a date with andy's sister?

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tote bags are cute! Do you ship them out of state?

Andylinn

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, we sure do! we ship across the us and canada. a shipping price list is available off of the "policies" section in the navigation menu at the top of the page. with a tote + something else small, like some metallic map pins, shipping would be just a little more than $6 to anywhere in the usa (including alaska and hawaii!)

jfried, i'll let her answer that one herself! (she's also on the forum)

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi there - this is andy's sister. thank you everyone for the kind words and for being interested in our products. we're working on other new products, too - a new map lamp and blank books are coming soon and will be available on our site: www.ilovecitybird.com.

we don't currently offer dates as bulk order incentives, but maybe we'll discuss it at our next staff meeting :-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome guys.

This might be self explanatory, but what is an etched mirror? Is that scratched/etched into the glass? If so, would it be possible to do larger ones (such as along a slightly larger bathroom mirror)?

Andylinn

Post Number: 821
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

etching is a process where one creates images in a mirror (or glass) using a chemical reaction. yes, a larger mirror would be possible. if you're interested, shoot us an email. (address available on the site)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought one of the small etched mirrors at Bureau a while back. It is very cool and I get many compliments.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mbr, i'm glad you like it! sean, andy already answered your question, but it is absolutely possible, either on an installed mirror or a larger hanging mirror. we were actually talking about offering a larger mirror as a regular product in the future...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.