Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Zoo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Searay215
Username: Searay215

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Macomb Daily is reporting that the county commissioners have approved a measure for a August vote to increase taxes on Macomb County residents in the amount of $10 a year. See link
http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/041708/loc_local02.shtml
Although I am not apposed to this I will vote no because A. Kawame Kilpatricks name is on the water tower and B. The city of Detroit still has control over what is done there and how the money is spent. I have written my commissioner and he (Leon Drolet) agrees and voted no on the measure.
What do you think?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6159
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/132761.html?1206752184

Searay215

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnloge, I missed that, but it was in todays Macomb Daily.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6161
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem! Just didn't want you to miss out on the lively discussion we've had on the topic. :-)

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that if you consult Leon Drolet on matters, you are a window-licker, drooling at the back of your short bus on the way to "special" school.

That's what I think. I also think you don't know what you're talking about, because the City turned over operations of the Zoo to the Zoological Society, and has no more control over spending than anyone else.

Searay215

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well excuse me Mr High and Mighty Udmphikapbob what ever the H_ll that means. We have just appointed you Mr. Know it all. Congratulations!
While I do not support Mr Drolet there is no reason to call me those names...who do you think you are?

Searay215

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, who do I complain to over the personal attack that was used towards me in the previous post?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6162
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Searay, it's a tough crowd. You'll be OK, hang in there.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7607
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... talk about being blindsided! Usually when someone asks for "What do you think?" means it's meant for open discussion, a request for information, etc. and not some ugly attack like that.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personal attacks and name calling are not allowed.

I have found the moderators to be fair and understanding. When an, a'hem, spirited post still contributes to the exchange of ideas, it is often allowed to remain.

Udmphikapbob's post 557 does not add anything to the discussion. Searay215, I suggest write to the moderators.

Searay215

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Smogboy...and thank you Johnlodge for the words of encouragement, but I think I will stay on the side lines and read and not post as this is not what I was taught growing up and why we have so many problems today. People would rather berate someone for what they say, than to have an open discussion and dialog.
Yes I know its a tough crowd as I have witnessed in the past. Just thought I would add to the dialog and see what others thought.

Searay215

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal, Thanks for the suggestion, but it will probably do no good as Johnlodge pointed out it a tough crowd. As a t-shirt I once saw said "Welcome to Detroit - Now go home" Its a tough city and yes this forum as well.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think that if you consult Leon Drolet on matters, you are a window-licker, drooling at the back of your short bus on the way to "special" school."

Monica Conyers - you've just exposed yourself!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6658
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That personal attack was mild compared to others I've seen over the last few years...

Searay215, if you want to vote no because KK's name is on the tower, then your letting your emotions rule over you... we've been beating this dead horse since people have been going bonkers over Coleman A. Young's name on the water tower back since the 1980's.

Most of us here can no longer stomach KK any more than you can. But to use that as a reason for being against the proposal is a rather lame excuse.

And now that you've become "enlightened" by the fact that the zoo is now controlled by the commission, rather than the city, are you going to bo back and write another letter? Or are you going to let that signature on the tower pull at your heartstrings and be your stumbling block.

Gistok in St. Clair Shores

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame won't be around forever, but hopefully the zoo will be. If you like the zoo, support it.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see, you have no problem with it, but you are going to vote No because of a non-sequiter and a misconception? What kind of response did you expect?

"who do I complain to over the personal attack that was used towards me in the previous post?"

WTF? Where do you think you are, puppiesandrainbowsYes.com?

Smogboy

Post Number: 7608
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always hated elected public officials using public property as their personal billboards to reinforce their names in the public eye.

I see it as such a huge waste of public tax dollars to remove their name and install a new one every time a new public official gets elected. It's actually one of the coolest things I think Terry Lynn Land has done as the Michigan Secretary of State. It's more about the position and the responsibilities than the individual.

Sorry for the threadjack & rant.

Searay215

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to all of you for your comments and suggestions and Yes I will probably vote yes as it would only hurt the kids and not Kawame.

As for you Solarflare...You will someday be wondering why your children are robbing liquor stores....then you can just tell them while they are awaiting trial WTF...where do you think you are.......bla bla bla

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The zoo is an asset to the entire region. The fact that anyone would even consider allowing it to wither and die because they live in the suburbs and don't like the mayor of Detroit is, in a nutshell, what is wrong with Southeast Michigan. Well, that and Leon Drolet.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11502
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

. Kawame Kilpatricks name is on the water tower

Well, since you're being rational in what you support and why. The operations of the zoo are not managed by the city.

So let's sum up Searay:

1. I won't vote for the zoo for one silly reason and one reason I am incorrect about.

2. Boo hoo, someone was mean to me because I have no clue what I am talking about. I was raised better than talking to people like that.

Then followed up with:

quote:

As for you Solarflare...You will someday be wondering why your children are robbing liquor stores

Looks like someone managed to be a hypocrite in a record number of posts.

The hostility, while not right, is aimed at the fact that you come to a pro-Detroit board and pretty much say I won't support a regional asset because Detroit is involved and the mayor's name is on the tower. It is exactly attitudes like yours that contribute to SE Michigan being a complete void culturally and socially.

Here is my advice:

1. Research the topic so you have a clue what you are talking about. Something as basic as understanding who runs the zoo if not difficult to find.

2. Statements like "B. The city of Detroit still has control over what is done there and how the money is spent." just show how people are willing to make irrational decisions based upon ignorance. Yes, the city does mismanage money but the city is also the only city/count that supported the zoo and DIA for years. If you want to claim you won't support it if the city is involved I suggest you donate some money to the city and the city residents everytime that you have gone to the Zoo, DIA, DHM, CWMAAH, etc.

There are too many people in this region that will happily take advantage of what the city supports but whine over their city/township/county taking on some of the financial burden of some of these institutions.

So welcome to the forum but have a fucking clue next time. If you happen to see Leon Drolet can you slap him for me? You should be embarrassed of him representing you just as many of us are embarrased of KK and CC representing us.

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He asked what people think, did he not? I contributed by pointing out that the City does not control spending at the Zoo, as Searay215 erroneously believes.

You said you are not opposed to a tax for the Zoo, yet you would vote against it because of the name painted on the water tower, and because you don't know how the Zoo is currently operated. That makes you stupid in my eyes for voting against your personal beliefs.

Leon Drolet thinks that the only good thing taxes do are pay his salary. For someone who hates government so much, he sure has made quite a career at the public's expense.

I went to UDM (that's a school in Detroit) and was a Phi Kap (Phi Kappa Theta is a fraternity, and those are Greek letters). And my parents named me Robert, but I go by Bob. There, now you know the DaVinci code that is my name.

You and Leon can sit around his giant pink pig if you don't want to support the animals at the Zoo.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7610
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udmphikapbob,

Just because one disagrees with one another's point of view doesn't make them stupid. it's their opinion- just like you have yours. Debate it, argue it until you're blue in the face but when you just come outright and launch into them by calling them stupid without much of an explanation (you finally followed suit) of your point of view is just hit & run.

This is a great forum for discussing and disagreeing points of view but I hope you know that you came across like a thoughtless bully with your initial comment. It lacked merit and weight. Your follow-up is much more well thought out and has some meat to it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6179
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you want, he's a frat boy.

;)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udmphikapbob's 1st response didn't require and explanation. It was perfect.

Searay215

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All Sorry that I even posted anything. I asked a question and yes I was wrong. But the way you people treat one another is outrageous. And Yes I dropped down to YOUR level and should not have! I am a better person than that!!
I made a mistake. I do not support Leon!! I just told you what he said to his constituents. Too bad none of you can admit the same. I will not waste another minute on people who do not know how to debate and explain why they feel like they do or show someone why they might be wrong without insulting and be meaning them.

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I know my initial comment came across like a bully - most of my 500+ posts are not like that. I went out of my way to be mean. Searay's original premise that he/she would vote against something he/she supports just because Mayor Kilpatrick had his name on it is the kind of thinking that has the potential to ruin this nation, let alone maintain the divide in our Detroit region. Focus on the issue at hand - the Zoo either deserves funding or it doesn't, regardless whose name is on the water tower. Call it the George W. Bush Zoo for all I care, as long as I can take my son to see the damn tigers.

That said, had Searay not invoked the name of Leon Drolet, I probably would have ignored this thread completely. As much of my ire is directed at him as it is at you, Searay. Maybe for that, I somewhat apologize. Since the initial tirade, you seem to have learned something about how the Zoo is currently managed, and you are reconsidering your vote. So my work here is done.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so let me get this straight, you're voting no on something you support and will help out another local asset just because you hate the man who's name is on the tower?

(to avoid any confrontation), fair enough.

Searay215

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udmphikapbob....I don't accept a Somewhat pathetic apology and no your work is not done. You were NOT the reason for my change of heart. I talked to some people who know how to have a decent conversation who will give me facts without trying to cut me down or make fun of me for their own enjoyment.
So don't for a single second think that you had anything to do with this. I still think you are all the things I have said. You are a mean insulting ignorant person who doesn't know how to voice their opinion with out going into a tirade.
Had you said what you said in your last posting this might not have turned into a complete waste of time.
And as you said yourself YOU WENT OUT OF YOUR WAY TO BE MEAN. God I would hate to know you...that is not the way I treat people who have a different opinion from mine not now not ever. I will pray for you...You need help.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oye

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, like you, was surprised by some forumers venom in response to some of my posts. I decided to ignore the mean posts. I have found many intelligent folks willing to rationally discuss issues. I have found the vast majority of posts to be informative and even wildly funny. I do wish however that people that post read ALL dialogue on the thread before offering an opinion. It might eliminate redundant rants.

(Message edited by sumas on April 18, 2008)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Searay215 has come across like a thousand other n00bs on this board, hilarious.

Are you new to the Intarwebs, Searay215? It's a series of tubes through which your naivete and outrage are magnified. Many on this board have dealt with the newbie dumbassery for too long too suffer fools any longer. You'll get over it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6202
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the supporters of this tax support my effort to get SMART back to Livonia then I will support this tax.

But, I do not want any forced tax increases like what SMART did by giving the voters a choice to raise their tax or shut down the entire bus system. Thus, I do not want a choice of paying yet another ten dollar increase or to shut down the zoo.

I think that the voters deserve to have a fair choice of taxes to support all essential services and places like the zoo that increase the quality of life for our area.

Marauderkev
Username: Marauderkev

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Searay,
Stay away from the Non-Detroit posts if you're that sensitive. It's a free-for-all over there.

Searay215

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maraderkev, Not sensitive, just want a rational honest and civil discussion. If you and the others can not do that then the point of this threads is no more than bashing one another for no purpose but thier own enjoyment and I feel sorry for those who can not understand that.
90 percent of this thread has been bashing instead of honest discussion.
I suspect most of the writers in this site are under the age of 30 or at least that is how they act. This is my last post and reply as I have spent too much time defending the right to civil conversation...if you don't get it then there is no hope for you.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Anyway, This thread reminds Me that I'm overdue for a fieldtrip to the zoo. Wonder when it opens?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wonder when it opens?

What do you mean? They are open all year:

Detroit Zoo Hours

OPEN DAILY: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (November - March)

10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (April - October)

Summer Hours
(Memorial Day - Labor Day) 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have found the moderators to be fair and understanding. When an, a'hem, spirited post still contributes to the exchange of ideas, it is often allowed to remain.

You're kidding, right?

Point out one of the many "elephants in the corner" that too many Detroit boosters want to ignore and that post is not only deleted, the poster disappears from the forum.

Characterize those who voted for President Bush in 2000 as having a KKK lynch-mob mentality in the initial post of a thread you've titled "Diversity of Discuss Detroit" and you become a celebrated raconteur on this forum.

Those who continue to post here recognize that the First Amendment only protects us from interference or constraint by the government.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, I am very sorry but I don't understand your post. Are you pro or anti free speech? Some people on this thread/s are vulgar and abusive, most are not. Please clarify your position.

Crystal

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, what the heck are you talking about? Really, I don't understand.

Are you agreeing with moderation (in the sense that this is a moderated forum), or are you suggesting that anything goes?

Although I don't keep track of when posts, threads, or posters disappear, the rules clearly state that name calling and abusive language are not permitted.

I have not found that dissenters are unfairly treated.

If that's what you mean.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, everyone is entitled to their opinion but they should be ready to accept whatever criticism comes their way from others who have a different opinion. First Amendment "free speech" does not protect them from critical or abusive responses. Likewise, the moderators of a non-governmental on-line forum have the right to delete whatever posts they desire. However, it is a stretch to say that this particular forum takes a "fair" approach to allowing all types of "spirited posts". I'm not complaining about that approach, merely pointing it out to those who don't seem to recognize it exists.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get Macomb County to come on board and I will change my previous position from
"no way" to "good chance".

Crystal

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On April 28, 2008 at 7:30 AM, the Fine Living Network will air an episode of "Windshield America", featuring PAWS. Maybe there will be footage of Wanda and Winky.

Episode FLWSA-110L

Inspiration and Salvation

Heather Templeton travels to North Carolina to meet Pattie Petty, the wife of NASCAR driver Kyle Petty. Pattie runs the Victory Junction Gang Camp, a haven for children living with chronic medical conditions and terminal illnesses. We join Pattie for a typical day at camp and find out what inspired her to create such a retreat.

Next stop, Northern California, where we meet Pat Derby, an animal caretaker. After a lifetime of advocating and caring for mistreated exotics, Pat has fulfilled her dream by creating Arc 2000, a 2,300-acre animal sanctuary for elephants and other species.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading the above posts, I'm wondering if the world wouldn't be better off if we put the people in the zoo cages and let the animals run free!

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way I'd agree to that tax is if I could take my rifle in there and hunt and they change the name to the tri-county zoo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.