Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dream Cruise Expands To Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one posted this yet:

Article

"DETROIT -- Welcome to the party, Detroit.

The Woodward Dream Cruise officially expanded its suburban reach into the big city on Wednesday, when organizers revealed the details of the Cruisin' MotorCities Summer Festival, a nine-day drive-up to the Dream Cruise that will feature car shows, Model T rides, live music, food and, yes, more cruising, with Detroit-centric events extending from the Michigan State Fairgrounds to Campus Martius, Belle Isle and beyond."

(Message edited by detroitrise on April 18, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6212
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was posted a couple months ago. Shockingly it turned into a city vs. suburbs argument, with one scared suburbanite repeatedly posting about how he would never bring his car past 8 mile.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't they do this last year and pretty much no one showed up?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I thought that thread was just speculation.

This is actual proof that it will come to pass.

I really don't care about the scared suburbanite (you know who you are) who's afraid to drive a car across 8 Mile. It's more weight off Detroit's shoulders.

(Message edited by detroitrise on April 18, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6215
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

;)

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs a "cruiser" or a Dub type cruise. The urban style of cruising is different from the 50's American Graffiti type set.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, The Motor City is embracing it's auto heritage a little better, and as a region no less!

Can I say "thank you Mr. Ilitch" without getting yelled at? He really did seem to see this thing through. Am I mistaken?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trstar, that is a interesting idea.

Dearborn really needs to get their Ford Wyoming Drive-In Theater in on this.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Didn't they do this last year and pretty much no one showed up?"

Yes. There was a group with Detroit Synergy in connection with Ford's Piquette plant, that did an event a few years ago. It was publicized well in the media, but unfortunately it was raining on the day of the event...

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout a Detroit Nightmare Cruise, rat rods and beaters only. Special prize for creative use of duct tape.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not? Detroit probably has the highest concentration of pre-1990 cars in the state. You cant drive through Detroit proper for 20 minutes without seeing a Caprice or 80s Caddy.
Id say ANY summer day in the city is a cruise day.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will now share our pain.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Organizers have insisted that it wasn't about excluding Detroit, but about maintaining the historical route of the cruise within Oakland County.

Focusing on history
"There was no particular inclusion or exclusion," said Dale Dawkins, president of the board. "I really feel strongly that we need to continue to focus on that specific history, and that is from Eight Mile to Pontiac."

Yes, the strong history of this event that began all those years ago in the "long, long ago" also known as the "before time" or that strange year that was 1995.

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Downriver! :-)

Don't know if you were kidding about the rat rod/beater car thing but I think it'd be friggin awesome!

Best car I saw last year at the Cruise was this old beat up piece of crap station wagon these 16 year old kids had painted dark purple, slapped a couple of coachlights on the front and then taken out. The thing was held together with black electrical tape I swear it! And you never saw prouder guys in your life than those 4 boys in that wagon!! Me 'n hubby pulled up next to them and told them how awesome their ride was. They all grinned from ear to ear! True story. :-)

They loved that piece of junk! Maybe it wasn't worth the tires it sat on but it made me smile. Cuz even with all that's happened in our beloved Auto Industry I could see the next generation of Motowners still had engine grease in their souls. Ya know?

Praying the road always rises to meet you Downriver! :-)

Jones

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.