Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dequindre Railroad Question. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been curious what the cement silo like structure at the beginning of the Dequindre Cut is. It looks like it was possibly used to store coal from trains for transfer to trucks, etc. for residential heating use. Thanks for the help.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5907
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it anything like the coaling tower nearby in Livernois Yard? There must have been quite a number of those scattered around over the years for fueling locomotives.

Residential coal yards were usually heaped like the salt gets heaped in SW Detroit. I don't recall ever seeing silos for them back in the days when coal was still being used for home fuel.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for coaling towers for steam locomotives, there might have been one at Milwaukee Jct., but I don't think there were any others between there and Brush St. station.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Previous threads:

Silo Question

Before Greektown there was Germantown

(Message edited by Mikeg on April 19, 2008)

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was not a locomotive coaling tower. Thanks for the other link.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Locomotive coaling on the Grand Trunk Western's Dequindre Cut line was done at their engine service facilities, which included a roundhouse, at "Milwaukee Junction" just north of East Grand Boulevard and east of Russell.

The junction is so named since the GTW's predecessor, the Detroit & Milwaukee, intersected with the Michigan Central there.

Today, the line south from the junction is in service operated by the Detroit Connecting Railroad, who serves local industry. The track has been removed from the the Dequindre Cut where the present construction is going on. I believe it ends north of Mack .

Bob Cosgrove

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the last business on that line that still uses the rail is the boomer construction company, on the corner of e.forest and the cut.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.