Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit's Signature Food » Archive through April 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Coney Islands. Nuff said.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nobody said anything about Faygo yet?!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, I considered mentioning Faygo, but what would be the point?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo HQ is in Detroit--since people have mentioned Vernors and Stroh's, I thought a Faygo shoutout was in order

interesting Faygo facts, according to Wikipedia...

Faygo is numerously mentioned in certain Insane Clown Posse songs, and is "advertised" in the movie Big Money Hustlas. Since the drink is promoted by ICP, Faygo has been referred to as the official drink of the Juggalos.

The original title of the White Stripes song "Little Cream Soda" was "Faygo Cream Soda," and it was performed with that lyric at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on July 2, 2003. The song was eventually released on their album "Icky Thump" in 2007.

(Message edited by alley on April 20, 2008)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it Greek Food? Coney Islands are native to New York. Vernors, Faygo, Better Made Chips, could be in the running. How about Kowalski Sausage? Kars Nuts in Ferndale. Whatever happened to the slogan, "Nuts To You From Kars? They must have deemed it too insulting.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8454
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Coney Islands are native to New York.

Try to find one there!

They have these things in Rhode Island called "Hot Weinies", a hot dog with a dribble of something appearing to be a derivative of chili, not more than an 1/4 inch, never even dribbled onto your leg.

Coneys are a true Detroit invention (and even considering Hormels on a hot dog as close to the joy of biting into a Lafayette "one with everything"
leads me to believe the poster lost his taste buds).

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Boy-it's a michigan thing

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, not quite.

Other states have and had Big Boy, but Elias Brothers had the most successful Big Boy franchise with the most restaurants in operation.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku-nice try, they started out here but I'd bet all of Southern California is down to 15 Big Boy's(the mediocre Carrow's out of Santa Barbara took 'em over...the oldest surviving Big Boy's in Toluca Lake is a landmark well worth your time) the original is now a Blockbuster Video in Glendale, and 2 blocks from the former site of The Hillside Strangler's torture upholstery shop(and Neal's Records, the best bootleg record shop, ever)

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies:

Sounds like Coney Island loose burger, with Vernor's pop (or a Faygo) and Better Maid Chips, and Stroh's Ice Cream is the start of a Detroit based meal...

Other additions might include White Castle's, since Detroit was one of their early markets, Sanders Candies.

M&M shrimp anyone?

How about the Michigan food?

Something with Michigan cheeries?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I just thought of something no one mentioned.

CHICKEN SHACK! :-)

Oh, and I think White Castle is more of a Milwaukee thing, like CVS and Walgreens.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually Big Boy started in Burbank,California in 1936 as Bob's Diner. A fat kid walked in and ordered a double decker hamburger every day, so Bob called it the Big boy. Bob met the Elias Brothers at a conference and they took on his idea with their Chili bowl at 8 mile and Dequindre. Big Boy llc owned by Robert Ligget and headquartered in Warren,Michigan owns the Franchising rights.

I've had the damn story told to me since I was a kid.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 919
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urbanize - he is referring to their ad campaign, "its a michigan thing"

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

michigan food thoughts:
-pinconning cheese
-frankenmuth chicken
-smoked white fish in leland
-planked white fish in petosky/harbor springs
-leons potato salad in lansing
-all the speramint in wrigley's gum comes from st johns
-kalamazoo was once the celery capitol of the world
-pasties...yum
- beans, the musical friut, from mid-michigan
-baby food from gerbers in fremont
-gotta love muscrat dinners at vfw halls served by sexified matrons in hair nets

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Chitaku, then why did you throw that "Big Boy is a michigan thing" pie in the sky if you knew the story? :-)

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coney island hot dog. Hands down.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 920
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well urbanize, perhaps its because that is their new ad campaign "its a michigan thing"

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4110
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cherries!
corn flakes, Frosted Flakes, raisin bran
Jiffy mix baked goods
Sanders hot fudge sauce
Mackinac Island fudge

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor's, Sanders "Bumpy" cake, and Better Made chips. Not entree items (at least for most folks, lol).

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of White Castle's, we live west of the Mississippi here in Minnesota, and on Thursday drove 150 miles to Hinckley, Minnesota (east of the Mississippi) to bring back a 100 burger case of slyders. Should have bought more. Even though we put 75% of them in the freezer, we're already into the frozen stash. This just my hubby and I. We LOVE SLYDERS! Unfortunately, not available fresh west of the Mississippi. Frozens just aren't quite the same.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Grumpyoldlady.

Maybe the people in your town can get together and bring a White Castle franchise to your region. :-)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, White Castle was founded in Wichita-HQ'd now in Columbus, OH...farthest West was Kansas City MO until shortly after 9/11, now it's St Louis;
http://www.bizjournals.com/kan sascity/stories/2001/05/07/tid bits.html
when I hit the road(& will be near a toilet within a half-hour) I've been getting Krystal's-in the few areas where they go head-on with W.C. they outsell 'em;
http://www.chowhound.com/topic s/368349

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I could franchise a WC near me, I'd quit my job tomorrow

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still find it hard to believe people prefer a Chicago "Wiener" over a Detroit Coney.

They are obviously deprived from good food.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 716
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome:

This Frankenmuth chicken that you mention... definitely not a Bavarian staple. I had been to Frankenmuth as a child, and was in Munich for work. Turns out the Germans don't eat a whole lot of chicken; and the lies perpetuated by the two Frankenmuth restaurants left me a bit disappointed :-(

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived in Germany for three years.

Frankenmuth style dinners are NOT easy to find and foreign to most Germans. Although, during Oktoberfest, Hendl (chicken dinners as we know them) become a little more common.

Coneys are what Detroiters are known for worldwide, as it should be IMO.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh, and I think White Castle is more of a Milwaukee thing, like CVS and Walgreens."

Detroitrise:

CVS has never been in the WI market-the market is dominated by Walgreens, Jewel-Osco recently left
Milwaukee has one White Castle-they started in Kansas

Not sure where you get your information but Milwaukee is famous for Blatz, Pabst, Miller, and Usingers

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 623
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1950's, my father was a District Sales Rep. for Chevrolet in Saginaw and whose district included Frankenmuth. He loved his fried chicken!

He told a story about 1 of the restaurant owners (Zehnder, I suspect) who wanted to sell his retaurant to Bronner and get out of the business. Bronner didn't want to buy the competing restaurant across the street.

So Zehnder started a rumor that he was going to sell the restaurant to the mafia from Detroit, they could open an Italian restaurant and conduct their "business" there.

Nobody paid much attention to the rumors until several black Cadillacs with Italian-looking men pulled up in front of the restaurant and went inside. A few hours later, they all left.

Bronner, worried, made the deal to buy Zehnder's.

What he didn't know was that the "Italian Mafia" were all actors invited to dinner and paid for by Zehnder!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6361
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shoutout for Jewish Delicatessens in Detroit. jjaba IS the sociology of delis and never has he seen thrice baked bread with that hard crust and tasty chewy inside.

Order the #6, Milton Berle. Half-pastrami-half corned beef, slice of swiss, Russian Dressing, now I'm fressing. Add some cold slaw and a cup of Matzoh Ball soup. Save room for a piece apple strudel.

jjaba, essen unt freesen.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger muskie, sheep head and a rare channel cat, smothered in Franks RedHot, washed down with a labatt blue.

If you go out, it's a hot-and-ready and "POP". What's pop?