Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Light rail service » Archive through April 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check this out!
City Announces Location For Light Rail Mass Transit Plan

DETROIT -- A light rail mass transit plan for Detroit is one step closer to reality Monday after officials announced the chosen location for the $371 million project.

The electric rail cars will run up the middle of Woodward Avenue, from a yet to be determined starting point, to Foxtown and on to the State Fairgrounds, where a 400-space parking complex will service incoming commuters.

Monday's announcement, made by Norman White, chairman for The Detroit Transit Options for Growth Study, in conjunction with U.S. Rep. Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick (D), and Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick marks the initiation of the preliminary engineering phase.

The rail will generate 12,000 jobs and service 11, 000 round trips daily, according to the city's technical review.

The $371 million light rail mass transit program, sponsored by DDOT, will be up to 60 percent federally funded and 40 percent funded by private contributions and foundation grants.

The city does not have full funding for the next phase, but they are hoping that Cheeks-Kilpatrick can help by using her seat on the state appropriations committee.

Some Detroiters said they are leery of the project because feasibility studies on the light rail mass transit project have been in the works for 30 years.

Activists said the city is pursing a process that worked to get Denver, Minneapolis and Dallas on rails.

DDOT rider Marcia Yakes told Local 4 she hopes something will change soon, because she is sick of waiting for buses that don't show up.

Passengers would ride streetcar style trains powered by overhead wires running on steel rails embedded in the street and operated by a driver.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/15946921/detail.html

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I'll believe it when I see it. Note the timing and who's announcing it: Fibber McGee and Mommy.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5735
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it actually happen for us in my life time?

WOW...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

skippers rule...

but still awesome just to read/hear it

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6675
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... up the middle of Woodward? ...and these overhead wires would have what kind of effect on Detroit's Thanksgiving Day Parade??

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6365
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add a conductor to take fares and keep all things tidy. This isn't exactly Salt Lake City ya know. For motormen to take fares and keep order doesn't work as in New Orleans where the street cars roll at a snail's pace.
jjaba.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6235
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shockingly exciting effect!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5736
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same as they always had Gistok none apparently....

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 237

"Fibber McGee and Mommy" - that's funny.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please note that it begins and end inside the city limits. So the city can charge you to park your car too.... You gotta love the Kilpatrick Smoke and Mirrors campaign. Nice to see Mommie show her face again too.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5940
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's discuss those 12,000 imaginary jobs.

In what industries?

Where will they be located?

Who has the skills to get any of them? [IOW, are there any basic enough for those with little to no work skills to get, and why?]

How was the 12,000 figure derived? [Taking any comparable city's LRT plan won't apply here because Detroit has no peer city low enough.]

Who actually made that figure and is that organization or individual willing to back it up in some meaningful way--like some substantial penalty held in escrow for any substantial error? [Yeah! I got to witness this...]

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

please note that it begins and end inside the city limits. So the city can charge you to park your car too

So L. Brooks Patterson doesn't put the kibosh on it, more like. I'm no fan of Kwame, but I somehow doubt this project is an orchestrated parking-revenue grab for the city. If you drive all the way downtown, chances are you'll be charged to park your car as well.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this doesn't negatively impact the new Rosa Parks Transit Center.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardhat: Thanks! :-)

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6676

Detroit_Stylin, perhaps big balloon parade characters weren't the craze at parades back in the 1st half of the 20th century when streetcars were popular... Now the biggest hurdle (after a few overhead traffic lights were temporarily removed) has been the GCP Woodward Ave. People Mover beam.

(Message edited by Gistok on April 21, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6236
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps you can find your answers, or not, here, LY.

http://www.dtogs.com/PublicDoc s.html

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Cool. Very Cool.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5941
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, asking DTOGS for answers is like asking your folks about the tooth fairy.

For months, they had nothing more recent than a half year old on their Web site.

I second the "Smoke & Mirrors" nomination.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, given the choice between light rail on Woodward and a few pretty balloons once a year, I'll take the light rail every time.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In related news...

Oil prices spiked to over $117 a barrel

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure I'll take mass transit: When you pry my steering wheel out of my cold, dead-- um, how much is gas again? Which way to the streetcar stop? :-)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

please note that it begins and end inside the city limits. So the city can charge you to park your car too....

What's wrong with that? Why should the City of Detroit spend millions of dollars on a rail system, and thousands of dollars per parking spot, simply to subsidize suburban commuters? Most rail systems that have park-and-ride charge a fee (typically less than market-rate) for the privilege.

quote:

Let's discuss those 12,000 imaginary jobs.

In what industries?

Where will they be located?

Who has the skills to get any of them? [IOW, are there any basic enough for those with little to no work skills to get, and why?]

How was the 12,000 figure derived? [Taking any comparable city's LRT plan won't apply here because Detroit has no peer city low enough.]

Who actually made that figure and is that organization or individual willing to back it up in some meaningful way--like some substantial penalty held in escrow for any substantial error? [Yeah! I got to witness this...]

Get a copy of the study and read it.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5942
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. Dan believes in tooth fairies.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk is cheap, but It would be great. Would people drive and park to get on the rail...why not just drive to the city/destination?

What about the highland park factor. Would burb folks want to take stroll through highland park?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. What's going to happen is, the suburban people get on at 8 Mile. Then, at McNichols, they get off, walk through Highland Park, then get on again at Tuxedo, continuing on to downtown.

Or, wait a sec. Are you on crack, Defendbrooklyn? Why the hell would anybody "take stroll" through Highland Park unless they had business there? :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't be that much extra time/distance to skirt around HP. It would actually be safer passing through Hamtramck instead of the Detroit detour around HP.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the pessimism...

We should all expect this to happen. And, taking this story seriously. It's not a far stretch for the city to come up with it's portion for this project.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, what makes it a stretch is that it was announced by our all-image playboy mayor, who's done this announce-and-retreat thing before.