Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Light rail service » Archive through April 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It also gives him another talking point for why removing him from office would be detrimental to the city's success.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5944
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick had a $2 billion plan, followed by a $1 billion plan the year later, and now a $300 million plan with a slush fund for erasing about 1/2 of the expected deficit--just in time for his reelection campaign.

All duds.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saying if you get a group of people to park at 8 mile, train into the city, spend money on shopping and food, and then head home; you are asking them to take all their new goods and train through Highland Park. Why would you want to make yourself a big target to be mugged.

All i'm saying is, HP is not safe and people will not want to be on a train that stops 2 or 3 times in HP when they can just drive to the city. Plus PR is going to be a big factor in getting people to buy in…If stories start breaking about crime on the rail system people will not ride.

I like the idea of bypassing HP until HP can get their shit together. Bypassing HP might put some logistical constraints on potential Ferndale/Royal Oak/Berkly riders due to the close proximity.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6240
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly how much less together is HP's "shit" as compared to the parts of Detroit immediately surrounding it?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 608
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. "Train," when used as a verb, does not mean what you seem to think it means.

2. There is no route downtown from the suburbs that doesn't pass through any blighted/unsafe neighborhoods.

3. Why shouldn't HPers be able to ride a streetcar downtown? Who says this is just for suburbanites?

4. Maybe light rail access would help HP get its shit together.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people who won't want to take a streetcar through Highland Park are hopeless cases, and it would be suicide to try to build a mass transit system that caters to them.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many bus lines already serve this corridor, between SMART and DDOT? It has to be at least 6.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why the hell would anybody "take stroll" through Highland Park unless they had business there?

Because Highland park could use the traffic...

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where could they start south of Foxtown? You can't get around CMart or GCP. I assume they would stop at Foxtown and have everyone take the GCP People Mover stop to points south.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY,

Without looking at the study, I'm guessing that some of the 12,000 jobs that are created by this project are not permanent. Meaning that they are counting the construction jobs that will be needed in order to build the project.

Also, when you do job projections like that, you have to take into account the "multiplier effect". Meaning that direct creation of one new position (lets say a conductor) will support X number of secondary jobs.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All i'm saying is, HP is not safe and people will not want to be on a train that stops 2 or 3 times in HP when they can just drive to the city. Plus PR is going to be a big factor in getting people to buy in…If stories start breaking about crime on the rail system people will not ride.

You do realize that Highland Park will be prime real estate if a Woodward line is ever built, right?

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that this is posted now while I'm trying to find a working website to see what public transportation might be available from Lonyo/Michigan to the western 'burbs. I cant even get a Detroit gov pages to load, much less ddot.

But let's spend money we don't have to help people who don't have jobs get to where jobs aren't? Okay, I'll try to dial down the frustration now.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6678
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Johnlodge... I agree... can one even tell (aside from signage) when one enters or exits Highland Park from Detroit??

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, Iheart. Those storefronts will be bought and refurbished faster than you can say Highland Appliance.

If that isn't the case, I'll buy you five pounds of coffee! :-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5738
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can...in a major major way....

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4161
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm saying if you get a group of people to park at 8 mile, train into the city, spend money on shopping and food, and then head home; you are asking them to take all their new goods and train through Highland Park. Why would you want to make yourself a big target to be mugged.

I call bullshit. The DC Metro runs through some not-so-fantastic areas. How many people get mugged at Minnesota Avenue station every day? Virtually none.

In fact: Most Crimes Occur at the Ends of the Lines
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04 /18/AR2008041803175.html

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don,
Here is the link to the Downtown/foxtown plan. There is 3 of them.
http://www.dtogs.com/f/CBD_Sta tion-Plans_08-02-20_001.pdf

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where could they start south of Foxtown? You can't get around CMart or GCP. I assume they would stop at Foxtown and have everyone take the GCP People Mover stop to points south.

The plan does not stop at Foxtown. There are three separate plans for the central core included in this proposal.

The simplest runs straight to the Rosa parks transit center.

The second is a one way ring running a few blocks from the people mover going the opposite direction of the people mover.

The third is having it detour off Woodward at Grand river and run down Washington and up Jefferson to the Ren-Cen.

I'm sure the TV didn't have time to describe the three CBD options.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How many bus lines already serve this corridor, between SMART and DDOT? It has to be at least 6.

This system will replace most or all of these bus routes, which will save DDOT money, since it is less expensive to operate LRT than it is to operate over crowded buses. It will also save a lot of rider time, as the LRT will be faster than the existing buses.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Interesting that this is posted now while I'm trying to find a working website to see what public transportation might be available from Lonyo/Michigan to the western 'burbs. I cant even get a Detroit gov pages to load, much less ddot.

You're looking in the wrong place. DDOT basically only serves the City. As soon as you say Western Suburbs that puts you on Smart.

http://www.smartbus.org/smart/ Home

And if that western suburb is Livonia you'll need a car. Livonia opted themselves out of smart a little while ago.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6241
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(hiding from Trainman)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge, I was thinking something similar as I typed that last post.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6680
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Wincing at the thought of another set of tracks on Washington Blvd.)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Sg. It would seem to make sense to stop at Rosa Parks initially. The People Mover can be used to continue on to the Ren Cen and rest of CBD unless ridership later justifies extending it. Ideally you want some compromise between the "door-to-door" people around metro Detroit expect and encouraging more pedestrian traffic, even for a block or two.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If constructed, this WILL be the tipping point for midtown and downtown gentrification. By the time of completion who knows how high gas prices will have soared? It will be exciting to see Woodward explode with TOD.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4648
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is quite believable, considering the funding sources. With Rock Financial and potential future companies moving downtown, watch all of midtown really explode with thi, as others have said. It will be possible to live car-less and rely on something other than your own two feet or a spotty bus system in Detroit.

This could revitalize several Woodward-adjacent neighborhoods beyond New Center that we haven't even considered as redevelopment frontiers yet, and watch property values in southern Ferndale soar, and their residents demand the line be extended into Oakland County.

If successful, you could realistically expect a similar line to be reinstated on Jefferson within a decade. This would change the course of development along that stretch from low-budget strip mall redevelopments to actual urban redevelopment.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok don't worry, last I checked it would be the only set of tracks on Washington Blvd.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, in case I forgot to say it: this is *really* exciting. I hope the financing comes together. Unfortunately, it's going to be at least until January 20, 2009 before that happens. In the interim, let's get through the preliminary analysis, locally preferred alternative, and environmental impact stages so the project can be considered for federal funding.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the best thing would be to expand the people mover up Woodward and connect Midtown, and Newcenter areas using John R. and cass somehow.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

This was apparently the announcement of the locally preferred alternative.

http://www.dtogs.com/f/Project _Flowchart.pdf

Of course doing the EIS, engineering, and finalizing funding will take time, but this isn't coming out of nowhere this week.