Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Firefighter piece « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LeDuff asked me to post a link to this story:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080422/METRO /804220377

I liked the quote about people building then abandoning the city.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5167
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The firehouse itself is not untouched by thieves. The men of this firehouse recently cooked a supper of steak and potatoes. A call came over the box before they could eat it. When they returned they found that their dinner had been stolen, the canned beans and coffee creamer were stolen from the larder, as well as a truck belonging to one of the men.

That is just sad on so many levels.

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gut wrenching.
God Bless the DFD.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They fight twice as many fires as in NYC for $17/hr and have to pay for their own station supplies. Sad indeed.

I'm surprised the comparison to a Baghdad ghetto was made. Most usually frown on comparisons to Detroit as a war zone, though I guess I can understand how it would be to the firefighters.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was LeDuff's comparison, not the firefighters'. Those are the type of comments LeDuff's detractors don't like.

Hopefully he'll drop that crap once he's more in tune with the city.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I realized that it was LeDuff's and not the firefighters', but I just meant I could see why the comparison might be a little more apt for the work of a firefighter. Still perhaps not the best image to bring though as Detroit's problems are not at all related to those of war but instead of neglect, poverty, and other social ills.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.