Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DPS data/statstics « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am working on another big report that heavily involves DPS district data. The last time I did this report was in 2005/2006 when the "district data" on the DPS website was very up to date.

It is now 3 years later and there is little to no current data available. Are MEAP scores, attendance numbers, and other district information public record? Who would I contact for this information?

Any help would be appreciated, as I am covering everything to student data/teachers/administration issues. Thanks in advance!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try FOIA.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you can find data for the Class of 07 MEAP results:

https://oeaa.state.mi.us/oeaa/

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you this; DPS lost 10% of its 2006-07 enrollment in 2008.
Projections for 2008-09: fewer than 100,000 students district-wide.

Unfreakingbelievable.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5985
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Projections for 2008-09: fewer than 100,000 students district-wide.

For student-counting purposes, the head count is made twice annually--near the start of the school
year and another near the start of the second half.

I remember somebody on DY stating that the second count was already under 100,000. Somehow, 98,000 sticks in my memory. Perhaps, somebody will actual accurate knowledge on DY will chime in with the second-count number.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am as big a Detroit supporter as there is, but under no circumstance would I send my kids to DPS right now. I hope when I have school age kids in the next 10 years or so I can take this statement back.

For those of you with kids in DPS, other than money, what are the needs that you see on a day to day basis in you kids' education? Let's say someone was considering investing $10K in each of your kids schools, what would you like to see?

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public schools are having problems everywhere. An elementary school not far from my house has had four bomb threats in less than a week. All of the schools around here are having problems, and this is a nice suburban area.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State School data:
http://www.michigan.gov/cepi
DPS data:
http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/d ata/rea/
You can also try:
http://www.greatschools.net
for individual schools.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5989
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The OP was concerned that the DPS data more likely should be listed in a history book. Its Web site's facts are going on three years old. It doesn't take any of my Mensan "super powers" to opine that DPS is deliberately suppressing any embarrassing data the past three years.

DPS ancient history disguised as "facts"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.