Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Parking Tickets Amenesty « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzylinn
Username: Jazzylinn

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know how to find out when the next parking amnesty day is? Once again the tickets have piled up.

Noticed it usually starts in May

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean you have a bunch of unpaid tickets? Why not pay just them then if you do?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 923
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall, the last amnesty period was the "last" one. No more.

Pay your damn tickets.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Learn where/how to park to avoid tickets in the first place. Parking tickets are a tax on stupidity.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I become Chief Traffic Court Judge, I will grant no amnesty. This is a court, not a charity ball.
Pay up, pay up now, or go to the Slammer. You got the ticket, you pay for the ticket.
But have a good day.
Clerk, Call the next case.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking enforcement is a joke. More power to you, Jazzylinn. If they really wanted to bring retail back to downtown Detroit, they'd provide free parking for the customers just as they do at the suburban malls.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4773
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inquiry seems genuine to me, since I seem to recall two or three 'last' amnesties over the years. I don't see where Jazzylinn says he/she isn't going to pay, just looking for a coupon.

If there is going to be indignation, it should be over the granting of amnesties, not toward someone who seems ready to pay their tickets and is trying to get a discount. Who else wounldn't?

Just pray you don't have to stand before Judge Rock or you might be heading to the rock. :-)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The inquiry seems genuine to me, since I seem to recall two or three 'last' amnesties over the years. I don't see where Jazzylinn says he/she isn't going to pay, just looking for a coupon.

If you pay the ticket with in what... 7 to ten days? of receiving it you pay a discounted rate. He already got his coupon. He chose not to pay.

This is the problem these "amnesty" programs in all their forms; property tax, utilities, etc.... people simply chance it, ignore their responsibilities, and hope for the chance to pay less than they owe, thereby screwing the rest of us. If you can't afford the parking ticket, stop getting them.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6274
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried will help you out, Jazzy, but he wants a date.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried waiting for the fabled 'amnesty' years ago, and after almost a year I gave in and surrendered myself at their office in the Book Building. By walking in and showing that I wanted to take care of it, they usually give you a discount. Mine came in the form of all late fees being knocked off. Plus they were able to give me an installment plan.

Two years later I found myself with lots of tickets yet again but I thought I was 'safe' by parking somewhere residential and away from the CBD and Midtown. Not safe. I was booted and given no option for an installment plan.

Of course, this was all almost ten years ago and I've learned my lesson. Just pay the tickets, don't wait for the amnesty, it may never come. If you have a lot of tickets or can't afford to pay it all up front, ask for an installment plan. Just don't get booted. Then you're f**ked.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While getting ready to pay my taxes and came cross recepts from payed parking tickets in 2007...it was $375 after the late fees were applied. If I had payed them when I got them it would have been under $100.

My point is, dont be stupid and try to beat he system. It is smarter to pay right away and avoid late fees of up to 300%. I know I am stupid with my money, but it baffles me how many other idiots are out there.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Learn where/how to park to avoid tickets in the first place. Parking tickets are a tax on stupidity."

jeez, that's harsh. anyone who has ever lived somewhere where the only parking nearby is at meters understands how easy it is to get tickets. if i come home late at night, i'd rather risk getting a ticket and park within a block or two of my apartment than park far away and walk alone. seems smart to me.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, I'll gladly pay my parking tickets ... just as soon as they start enforcing in the fire lanes in front of "upscale" clubs with valet parking downtown. :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not stop paying property taxes and let them pile up for a future amnesty? Then, for those who do pay, just have them pay more to cover the delinquent taxes for those elitist assholes who want to pay via amnesties.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree birdie...Nobody forced someone to live at X-location with only meters nearby. Just because there are meters there, that does not mean certain people should have free reign to not use them.

The city of Detroit did everyone a sevice by installing the modern meters that even accept credit cards. If you do not carry change there is still no excuse not to pay the meter.

It might interest you to know that the new meters allow someone to see how long the meter has been expired too. I was at WSU last week and the parking person pulled up and was about to write me a ticket. When I walked up and explained that it could have only been expired for a minute or two, he pressed the info button on the front and it showed that it was just 1:30 expired. He said "have a nice day" and walked away.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what happens with parking tickets is the city, every so often, says: "Can't get blood from a turnip," and has amnesty. Or are you just being your usual reductionist self, you shameless brawler. :-)

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh i didn't mean that people have free reign not to use them. i always put money in my meters and even in other people's meters if i notice they are expired. i was only speaking from my experience of getting tickets because of nighttime parking. meters were recently put in near my apartment and begin at seven am. sometimes late at night the only spot i can find close by is at one of these meters. even though i try to wake up at 6:45 to move my car every time, sometimes i miss it and get a ticket even if i'm only a few minutes late (eg i arrive at my car at 7:10 to find a ticket). i don't even mind the tickets, but i was just trying to point out that sometimes it's easy to get tickets and it isn't because of stupidity or laziness.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have come to believe that parking meters are not able to keep track of time accurately. I always put in more money than I think I need.

Twice I got parking tickets and I was certain I had put in enough money.

Later, I saw a short television piece in which a high school student timed several meters and found that many (most?) of them were way off.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The inquiry seems genuine to me, since I seem to recall two or three 'last' amnesties over the years. I don't see where Jazzylinn says he/she isn't going to pay, just looking for a coupon. "

"If there is going to be indignation, it should be over the granting of amnesties, not toward someone who seems ready to pay their tickets and is trying to get a discount. Who else wounldn't?"

Seems ready to pay? Why not pay them right off and be done with it? Hope anyone that is a ticket scofflaw gets their car towed

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI.... There is no discount if you pay early. The website on the ticket slip doesn't work and if you call try again later.

No everyone that gets tickets deserve them. I put 75 cents in a meter by the Magic Stick @ 5:15PM and I came out to a ticket issued @ 5:37PM and the meter gave me an hour when I put the money in. So now I have to take time out to fight the ticket.

Now amnesty day pays off when you have racked some fines up. But I wouldn't NOT pay them so I can wait for amnesty day which may not happen.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

FYI.... There is no discount if you pay early. The website on the ticket slip doesn't work and if you call try again later.

Might want to read the back of the ticket. IIRC if you pay within 10 days you get $10.00 off the fine.

quote:

No everyone that gets tickets deserve them. I put 75 cents in a meter by the Magic Stick @ 5:15PM and I came out to a ticket issued @ 5:37PM and the meter gave me an hour when I put the money in. So now I have to take time out to fight the ticket.

Whether or not it's deserved, you will spend 10 times the ticket amount in time and energy fighting it. Pay it the day you get it. Remember never to park there again and get on with your life. Parking meters ripping you off is life in the big city. It's just Detroit keeping it real for you.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I have the ticket in front of me as I type and there is NO mention of an early payment discount.

Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how it is now because I haven't gotten a ticket over there in a few years, but it used to be that when you got a ticket in a Wayne State lot, it was only $10. And if you waited I think 14 days before paying it, it reverted to a City of Detroit parking ticket and went up to $20. I'm sure I'm wrong about the amounts, but you get the idea.

When I got all the tickets that I mentioned in my previous post, I was living in the block bounded by West Ferry, Woodward, West Palmer, and Cass. There is NO parking around there for residents. It's all metered for two hours at a time. For awhile I was parking in a Wayne State lot at Cass and West Palmer, at the southwest corner of those streets, but then they started building the new law library and that fell through. Then I started parking down on Antoinette and Cass near where Cass goes over 94. Working late nights in a bar, that was not a fun walk back to the apartment.

The point is, in some areas of Detroit, options are very limited and you end up with a lot of tickets - like it or not.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Amnesty Day comes, will I get a partial refund since I always actually pay to park?

Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the money from parking enforcement go toward paying off the bonds the city sold to pay for Cobo/the JLA?

Sorry, I know it's a bit off-topic. I was just curious.

(Message edited by rocknrollscientist on April 24, 2008)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Parking tickets are a tax on stupidity."

I thought lottery tickets were tax on stupidity :-)

Do they give out tickets if you park at a broken meter? I noticed there are lot of broken meters, even the new ones where you can pay by credit card. Can you get out of a ticket if you can prove the meter you parked at is broken?

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a freshman at Wayne, I lived in the same area as Rocknrollscientist- Cass and Palmer area. Everything was metered, and we couldn’t leave our cars in the WSU parking lot across the street overnight (they weren’t selling parking passes then. Believe me, I asked!) So every morning for a semester, I got up at 6:30 AM to move my car from the street to the lot, or to go feed a meter, if I hadn’t found one of the nine free spots on the street.

Why get so angry with people who rack up tickets? Everyone makes mistakes. And some parts of town aren’t that convenient to live in, if you have a car and are a broke college student.

Now I’m curious. What does the city do with the money it gets from tickets? Something special, or does it go back into a general fund?

Anyone ever read the book “Tepper Isn’t Going Out?” Funny book about parking in a big city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.