Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A repeal of the prohibition anniversary party « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband was at a community meeting. The owner of The Ye Olde Taproom was there. He said, on May 10th, starting at 7:00PM, he was holding a Prohibition anniversary party.

Beer will be 5 cents a glass for the evening.

The owner said that Detroit got to serve alcohol, one day earlier then the rest of the state, hence, his May 10th date.

Sounds like a good time. The Tap room has been around a long time. I am embarrassed to admit that I have not been there since my college days. Drinking was legal at 18, when I was 18. So I can't say they served underaged drinkers. It's located on Charlevoix between Wayburn and Alter at the Detroit/Grosse Pointe border.

Many Forumers indicate they would like to connect, this sounds like a super "cheap" way to connect and also celebrate our nation's and states's history. However, at 5 cents a beer, if you like to drink, bring a designated driver. I will most likely be there but I don't drink beer. Too bad for me, the roll back, isn't on Vodka!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4125
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, if you check the "Connect" board you'll find a thread "FSC meetups" where bar bound get togethers are regularly posted, too.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/93017.html?1208567 409

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prohibition Party

I would definitely suggest this, it's a BLAST. Everyone dresses up like gangsters and flappers, and who doesn't like cheap beer!!
http://www.myspace.com/yeoldetaproom

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could dress up like a flapper, but in 1933 you would stand out as someone who was 4-5 years behind the times in fashion, the Flapper party ended with the good times of the 20s, the November 1929 stock market crash was the beginning, and things got progressively worse in '30-'31.
The typical Flapper dress with the rows of fringe date to 1924-'27.
Things in 1933 were somber, and the repeal of prohibition was welcome. Everyone drank during the "noble experiment" anyhow. A cruel joke enacted by a bunch of tight-assed WCTU spinsters while the drinkers were in Europe fighting WWI.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11532
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This region really needs to embrace it's booze running past and start hosting tours of some of the more famous/infamous spots.

Include some bars that were speakeasies or blind pigs in the day for lunch and a drink then tour the other places. Seems like it could bring in some tourist revenue, both locally and out of state.

Let's embrace our heritage of running booze from Canada during prohibition days.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, packman, didn't you see any romance to the era at all? :-) :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8475
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bread pudding, bread soup, bread stew, milk-toast...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.