Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Happy 15th Birthday. Can you guess whose it is? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4775
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint 1: I would not be asking this question without this birthday.

Hint 2: You are looking at it.

Hint 3: I am not talking about this website and forum.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birthday of the PC?

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Gore's invention?

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^The World Wide Web?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hypertext? HTML?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6280
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verdana?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Web Browser?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mobile phone...which I use to access this site 90% of the time?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6381
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old is The Forum?
jjaba.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6281
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arial?

Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wrong. The WWW was created in 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in Switzerland. Although, it was April 30th, 1993 when CERN announced that the WWW would be free for everyone to use.

Thank you, Wikipedia! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W orld_wide_web)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comic Sans Serif?

Oops, that's only 13 years old, designed for MS's epic failure, Bob.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing it's something Detroit related considering that this is the "Discuss Detroit" section.

Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's when Don Barden connected the city of Detroit via cable. Eventually he sold out to Comcast.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4776
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth is the winner with Rocknrollscientist a close second. The Mosaic web browser, the first html browser, was released. The browser required TLB's html [affectionate acronym for Tim Berners Lee in the web world, creator of html].

15 years ago today, there were 30 websites in the world. Like many great innovations, it was profoundly simple and amazingly deep. Early html had a total of 27 commands making it possible for amateurs like me to crib a page and enter cyberspace. In early 1994, I created my first website, also first artist website in Detroit, and off I went.

I would say a few things have changed since then, like a trillion dollar industry appearing out of thin air. The internet had been around for a long time, but this event is truly the break out moment.

It is arguably the most important event of the past two decades, possibly more. The implications in industry, social networking, politics, telephony, marketing, art and on and on are almost unfathomable.

I often note that I feel like I waited my whole life for it come along.

Happy birthday.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, are you saying that this site is one of the 30 oldest on the internet? If so, that is pretty amazing.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4777
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Mosaic was launched April 23, 1993; I didn't create a website, and not this one, until early 1994. By that time there were probably 100K sites.

The predecessor to this site was "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit", a 250 page webisode then at http://bhere.com/ruins and first launched unlinked in late 1996.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool. I didn't know you invented the web browser. Props to ya.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, yesterday was also the 25th anniversary of the release of "War Games", with Matthew Broderick as David, the kid who nearly starts WW III. Great flick. The computer in "David's" room is actually an IMSAI 8080. Much of the computer science in the flick was actually hoo-ha, but it made for a good story.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, yesterday was also the 25th anniversary of the release of "War Games", with Matthew Broderick as David, the kid who nearly starts WW III. Great flick. The computer in "David's" room is actually an IMSAI 8080. Much of the computer science in the flick was actually hoo-ha, but it made for a good story.

I remember when that movie used to come on as one of the Channel 50 Saturday Afternoon movies.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember D.A.R.Y.L.? Came out roughly the same time if I recall.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5180
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy birthday, Mosaic!

When I first got my hands on it I ran around and installed it on all my coworkers workstations. I just whispered cryptically, "You're really going to want this."

When you post a message here there's a checked option near the bottom of the page that says "Enable HTML code in message." Has anyone ever been able to include any true HTML here? For even a simple HTML comment, it gives me an error message.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During college, I took some classes one summer when the college was first getting connected to the WWW. I worked in the computer lab and Mosiac was installed for testing on the a couple of computers, but we weren't really supposed to be using it. Since there were very few people around during the summer months, it was usually just us lab rats in the lab. Our boss, an actual college employee, would come out of her office if she heard us talking about it, making sure that we weren't using it.

It got to be that when we were talking about any topic, we'd randomly insert the word 'Mosaic' into sentences just to see if we could get her to jump. Of course, once she realized we were messing around with her, she stopped coming out all the time, and we used it regularly.

Good times! Happy Birthday, Mosaic.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4778
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, all the 'Enable HTML code in message' means is that if you type in an http:// web address, for example https://www.detroityes.com or use www as in www.detroityes.com, the program will automatically will create a link the code, ditto for email addresses. All other html is ignmored to prevent mischief.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6284
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ray, I had a 300 baud accoustic coupler like the one used in that movie. You dialed the number of a BBS or other recipient modem, then put the phone receiver down onto the coupler when the CHHHHHHHHHHHHH started.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 499
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<p style="font-size:20pt; color: blue; font-weight: bold">Happy Birthday!</p>

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course before mosaic and http:// we had gopher:// !

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6385
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, then how's come your date of entry reads 10-03 and jjaba's reads 11-03 when we've been around alot longer? Can you tell the world when jjaba's first exciting post was on this Forum?
(Ditto for johnlodge, also 10-03.)
jjaba.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early 90s, my brother told me he had to show me something and called me over to his office at WSU. Some of the faculty there were beginning to use Mosaic. After receiving a demonstration of Mosaic, I was not nearly as excited as many others were about it. I became very interested a couple of years later and built my first web-site, an entire 5 pages worth, in basic html, in 1996.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I soooo do not miss the pre-web text-client email that I had in college. Elm, pine, etc. - good riddance! I still find it a bit remarkable that "teh interweb" did not exist when I was in high school.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6294
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lowell, then how's come your date of entry reads 10-03 and jjaba's reads 11-03 when we've been around alot longer? Can you tell the world when jjaba's first exciting post was on this Forum?
(Ditto for johnlodge, also 10-03.)
jjaba.

I have no idea when I joined! Or how I got a month on you somehow.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I won!

I remember the days of the 300 baud modem. When I got my first 14400 I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Of course BBS'ing was just fine text wise.

I don't know why the HTML doesn't work.

(Message edited by townonenorth on April 23, 2008)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah never mind. I see Lowell has explained it all. No mischief with the html... Pays to read ALL the posts huh?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5189
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, thanks for the explanation. You saved me from wasting too much time on it myself.

If I can ever help, just ask.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.