Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » People's Records New Location « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To my delightful surprise last night, I noticed a sign posted in a window across the street from Zaccarro's Market proclaiming "People's Records: Coming Soon."

I've been waiting for a record store to open on Woodward for years and I think that's a great location. Hopefully it can develop as a neighborhood with the market and other stores that may open as well.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWESOME!! Brad (Hales) is one of the most focused and driven people I know and, with People's being his DREAM, I knew it would only be a short matter of times before he was up and running at full speed again. Great news!

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yayayayayayayay!! ran into brad the other day and heard that he just signed the lease. what a great location. cannot wait to shop there again.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a very, very good spot--arguably what Woodward needs right now is some funky places to go with the fancy ones. The mix is what will draw people.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7303
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That record store should be at the midtown area not where the crackeads live. But it's the best they can do.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live a block away. To the best of my knowledge I am not a crackhead. I think I'm offended.

Sciencefair

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also live down there and am not a crackhead.

It's time we had more development in Tweentown, between Downtown and Midtown.

Alley

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AGREED!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this on the same side of Woodward as Zaccarro's, or the West side?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

west side. yay peoples! I cannot wait to raid the record racks once more! - at michigan's best record store.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11544
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they an actual record store or are you guys dating yourselves? :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an actual record store. glad to hear he's found new digs

Alley

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, it was in the basement of Forest Arms before the building was lost to a fire Feb 6.
You can check out the People's Records podcast at:
http://bradhales.podomatic.com/

(Message edited by alley on April 23, 2008)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. We're still minus one independent coffee shop.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they sell CDs as well, or strictly records?

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear they reopened. I have a record player but no records for it. I will frequent there.

They should open up amsterdam in the back of the store or something.

Sciencefair

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I knew it was strictly records, other than Brad's mix cds.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 820
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no cds, just 45s, 33s, 78s. (not many 78s.)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Just got a postcard mailer for ppl looking to sell their records. I called the # but had to leave my number. Wondering if theres a connection

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and 8 track tapes! (a few)

(Message edited by birdie on April 23, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ModelD Media with the skinny:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/peoples14108.aspx ?utm_campaign=Gleaners%20is%20 Greener%2C%20and%20So%20Can%20 You&utm_medium=Email&utm_sourc e=VerticalResponse&utm_term=Pe ople%27s%20Records%20to%20re-o pen%20shop%20on%20Woodward%20i n%20Midtown

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7688
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by there last night and saw the sign and was glad to see they've moved. Congrats for sticking around!

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I considered opening a retail store at that same location, and even did a walk thru. I knew that location was a diamond in the rough but, I wasn't prepared at the time to make the investment in the amount of security required to lease the space..it is around the block from one of the biggest drug rehab shelters in the City)

This location is awesome..and I see a huge amount of potential. With Zaccarros, Atlas, and now Peoples, and a planned loft development across the street...this area is starting to grow into something. I love to see progress in the City..the momentum is growing!!

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe, if you're referring to the harbor light center, that relocated on to lawton near mlk.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11570
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and a planned loft development across the street

What planned development?

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the planned development is next to zaccaros, and yes I think it was Harbor Light that was there on the next corner going North on Woodward. Also, if u go back behind that area there are alot of halfway houses and several homeless shelters. I know at what point an ordinance had to be passed to regulate the proximity of these facilities to each other.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.