Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » How do you get to work? » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What mode of transit? How far and why you travel the way you do?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retired. Vas iss das 'vork'???

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk to work. about 1.2 miles. Because I need the exercise and gas prices.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive about a mile down Mt. Eliott, then 2 exits on I-94, and the lodge to the Bagley exit. I really want to bike this summer, but there's no safe route that I've found. I can't seem to find a route that doesn't run by a correctional facility, an area with a lot of wild dogs, or an area with un-bikeable pavement.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk 10 feet from my bedroom to my office to check the job listings.

Grandwhore is great... I'm waiting to be "blown away" by job offers. Any day now, any day.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk three blocks to work. If I'm feeling lazy I bike.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now I'm unemployed and taking a class online. But when I get my new job I'll walk down my hallway. Now ya can't beat that commute!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well jrvass, today the governor announced over 9,000 new jobs. The largest announcement of her tenure.

There are also over 30,000 jobs posted online at the michigan talent bank. Perhaps it is your fault - at least as much yours as the governor's. Everyone is taught that networking is the key. Walking to your office to see if your inbox says "youve been blown away - here is a job for you" aint gonna cut it in this world

Did the governor fire you? did the governor close your company? With her 93 business tax cuts?

Blaming the governor for your problems is ridiculous.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since I got forced-transferred to Novi last December due to a "joint-venture", I'm driving 1 hour each way to my job (from east of downtown). Yeah, yeah, at least I have a job. I hate it to no end. BUT not for much longer anymore. I'm moving to a country where gas is $6 per gallon (Germany) next month and I'm so looking forward to it. Because there, I won't depend on a car if I chose so. Better public transportation than even Manhattan. Goodbye to 2 hours spent in frustrating, dangerous and expensive traffic everyday.
P.S. There will be a job opening at my company soon.

By the way, is there really a choice around here about the modus of transportation unless you live and work downtown?

(Message edited by ghetto_butterfly on April 22, 2008)

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that the warm weather is here I ride my scooter. On my way in I drive straight down Grand River to Wyoming. On the way home I hop on 96 to Grand River.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i drive 80 miles round trip. from eastside to westside and back

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone take the Woodward express bus?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fiance (wife on Friday a-thankyouverymuch) and I carpool in every morning down Woodward. Like to take the bus instead, but we're just over a mile from the Woodward line. Not really doable when you lug 20 pounds of laptops, books and paperwork.

As a slight aside, just this morning we were talking about how great it's going to be to park at 8 and take the train in to the Burroughs stop. Ahh, pipe dreams :-)

(Message edited by rugbyman on April 22, 2008)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am among the legions of unemployed, but my jobs were all in Oakland country, so I drove. Right now I bike a lot and use my car every few days, when I don't feel like biking. If I move to Chicago I will bike everywhere. I love driving, but not in a city like that.

Melody,

If you tell me where your start and end points are, I can help you pick a bikeable route. Detroit is a pretty easy place to bike, since the traffic density is so low. From what you said above, the first thing that comes to mind is taking mt. Elliott down to Warren, Warren west to John R or Cass, and then either of those downtown.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive and walk... a lot. I make most of my income working from home. I also am working with a couple of people from the suburbs, which ads mileage.

My fiancee lives in Saginaw, which ads even more miles. I also drive to take classes in Saginaw/Flint for six months out of the year, and end up staying up there some times. The lower prices at Delta made up for the gas a year or two ago.

I am getting married next summer though. The current place I rent in the city is small. I'm probably going to drop it this year, so we will be moving sometime between the beginning of Fall 2008 and Summer 2009. We're trying to locate in the CBD, and operate out of our home office. Since I also look at college and education as a lifelong process, it would make sense to either transfer to a more local college, or take my classes online. It's just helpful to actually know your professors. I also really enjoy the class discussions and networking potential.

The stalled projects in the CBD and Midtown areas are really causing us problems. Many of the places that exist are horribly located for us. Selling these undesirable units really has become a primary goal of many leasing agents and realtors. The ones we where willing to buy have all been stopped, or have been pushed back. We are thinking about attempting to work out of a temporary space until our primary choice is done. My ultimate goal is to be operating almost completely out of our future home office for the next few years.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually drive and, on some occasions, I bus it. When I take the bus, my route is the 495 (John R) Southbound to downtown, and I transfer to the 610/615 at Woodward & Larned, which shoots me right to Mack & Moross. Before I figured out a SMART route, I would catch the DDOT 8 Mile to Eastland, and transfer to the Mack line. I found DDOT to be unreliable and often too crowded, so I stick to the 'burbs bus now if I have a choice. Although I don't do it much these days, I like taking the bus--it's relaxing and I can catch up on reading.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk from Lafayette Park to my work in the financial district. On cold weather days I take the DPM from Greektown to the financial district. My company provides parking in the attached structure but I find it completely stupid to drive less than a mile.

Occasionally I drive to Wayne State for my classes, but usually I take the bus. The only real driving I do is to visit friends or go shopping in the suburbs.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive when I have to, bus when I can. Live on the east side so rely on the way-overcrowded SMART 560 to get into town. They run that bus every 10 minutes at certain times of day, ought to be 5. Transfer to DDOT for final destination, and find it quite reliable except on very hot days. (The union rules: drivers don't have to take a bus with no working AC if it's over 85 degrees out, and most buses do not have working AC. Love them union rules.)

Found the last gas station today selling for $3.469, doubt it will be that "low" tomorrow.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk from my bedroom to my office down the hall. Of course, that is after I go downstairs to the "cafeteria" to see what's for breakfast.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Down I-94 through the CoD, pushing the clutch in and out a few hundred times in rush hour traffic.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11529
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitchhike.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot, bro, I think the clutching gets me an extra 2-3 MPG over if I drove an automatic trannie, so I have no problem with the clutching on those days when I have to drive.

Rough guess, I save 10 cents every time I clutch. Just a quick mental calculation, may be way off.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If DDOT has the bike carriers on the front of the buses, then Melody could take Caniff/Arden or Holbrook to Woodward and then throw the bike on a bus for Southbound service.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4658
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walk 10-15 minutes in Ann Arbor. It's one of the nicer walks you could take in the region, too, but I only get to do it until August before I become willfully unemployed for my first year of law school.

Dstar, that's a pretty cool setup. Have you tried biking? Just get your friends to move to the city and then you can sell the ride.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody points out a serious problem, Detroit (and the whole metro area) is very bike unfriendly compared to other regions (you know, the successful ones). Chicago has a couple thousand miles of streets with bike lanes; Portland has a few hundred; Detroit has zero (Ferndale has about three).

DDOT can't afford bike carriers, East; DDOT hasn't got enough money to run the buses as is, with needed frequency and schedule, much less add on. Good idea, but not likely near term. Cheaper to fix the streets by "moving paint" as they say.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I have considered the bike thing but generally I have to wear a suite and I am not a big fan of biking in general. I love to run though, so walking is just natural for me.

My ride is a GMC Envoy (purchased when gas was cheap). I would love to get rid of it, but I think my girlfriend 1.5 hours away would be upset if I had an excuse to not visit. Thankfully she will be moving here very soon! Now if they would get that inter-urban rail link done so I could still visit my family in Lansing, then I would totally sell that awful gas-guzzler.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive a heavy duty Ford Excursion from Marysville to Belleville Michigan. I think im going to move further out though as it is getting to built up north of 26 Mile rd now.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 611
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I drive a heavy duty Ford Excursion from Marysville to Belleville Michigan. I think im going to move further out though as it is getting to built up north of 26 Mile rd now.

The House of Saud must love you.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to walk (or drive depending on the weather) 2 miles to the bus stop at 13 & Woodward and take the Woodward Express when I worked downtown--just don't make the mistake of getting on the regular Woodward bus (you stop at *every* stop).

Right now I drive 14 miles roundtrip. With a Fusion and a Camry, gas mileage is great, even though gas prices aren't. Next month it'll be a 40 mile roundtrip to work, so I think I might drive 4 miles to the Park and Ride and take the bus.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't work. I'm laid off.