Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 101.1 WRIF is Drew Coming Back Enough Already » Archive through April 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am begining to think all the rumors about Drew from the DREW and MIKE show on WRIF 101.1 not comming back are true ...he has be gone forever. I know he was off with the girlfriend as she went through cancer treatment ....then rumors about contract demands and so on ....

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Austerman speculates about Drew Lane's possible return to WRIF in todays "On The Radio" column in today's Oakland Press. It's available at www.michiguide.com

Austerman notes that the speculation was that Lane would return for the start of the spring ratings book. Well, the book has started without Lane.

BTW, I understand that the Oakland Press is considering dropping the weekly column, authored by Austerman and Art Vuolo which has covered the Detroit radio market since 2001. It is the ONLY column devoted to the subject in the area (and one of the few in the country), and I hope that the powers that be at the paper will realise what a valuable resource the column is. If you read it, and would like to see it continue, e-mail editor Glenn Gilbert at glenn.gilbert@oakpress.com and tell him so......

(Message edited by douglasm on April 13, 2008)

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm--I'm a Citizen Adviser to the Oakland Press Editorial Board and usually write at least one guest opinion in there per month. I'll pass your thoughts along to Glenn the next time I'm at the newspaper.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone REALLY miss this guy? Drew & Mike could both drop off the face of the planet for all I care..and they could take the rest of the "funny" Detroit area radio morning show hosts with 'em..
Seriously, do we really need two idiots yammering about the latest celeb to have a boob-job, making fart jokes, and then laughing hysterically at their own non-humor?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's better to burnout, then it is to rust..."

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good forum for the latest Radio and T.V. rumor is:

http://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB2/ index.php

As far as Drew is concerned, I missed him, but have learned to live without him. Any kind of hot topic talk radio is dead in this area, except for sports, and they will beat the same topic to DEATH all day long.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drew and denny to 97.1

deminski and doyle to 101.1

mike clark & co to womc

Bigb23

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deminski and Doyle to 101.1

I've heard that rumor too.If they could cut down on some of the silliness, they could really go places.

The best local radio talk show host is Peter Werbe.

http://www.peterwerbe.com/onth eair.html

At least it's intelligent subjects with few commercial interruptions.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 743
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23 - do you listen to Detroit Today?

I like Peter Werbe too... I don't always agree with him, but the discourse is good.

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to HATE morning talk radio. I wanted to listen to music while I was stuck in traffic, not some idiots yammering about American Idol or some crap. When the CD player was broke, 94.7 was the best option in the morning, but they still spent more time talking, not enough music.

Then I discovered NPR. Awesome. I always turn on NPR first thing in the morning for the drive to work.

In other words, to hell with WRIF and Drew and Mike

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far I'm concerned WRIF has sold out morning radio like MTV sold has sold out
I listen to a music station to hear music if I wanted talk radio I would listen to a talk radio station.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ddaydave-

I'm with you. Those morning jocks are so unfunny that they are annoying....all of that phony laughter and bad jokes. I usually listen to the news on 950 AM in the morning. Even with the news they have the worse commercials that I have ever heard. Like, that Rock Financial, Rock commercial. The guy who did this commercial lives down the street from my dentist. Such a temptation.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on April 13, 2008)

Bigb23

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision -

I listen to NPR all the time, both WDET and WUOM. But I also like a little humor thrown in. Cartalk is one of my favorites. And I barely get Prairie Home Companion indoors.(but will make the effort).

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Drew.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cartalk is genius, MUST LOVE Click & Clack, the Tappit brothers!
http://www.cartalk.com/

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I stated before, I like the show better now. It became a bit serious and one-sided. I stopped listening because everytime I turned it on it was a sports conversation. I would listen for 20 minutes and it would still be sports. Drew would be better off having own his sports show because thats what D&M was becoming.I can now turn on the show and not know what to expect topicwise.Seeing as there are already multiple stations dedicated to sports talk, the dial seems already saturated with that format. Drew made the show 70% sports-related. With him on sabbatical, the show once again seems unique and offers irreverant topics not heard anywhere else. I like the producers in their expanded roles, too (Marc and Mike).I feel theyve proven their potential.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, thanks bigb23.
I justed lost an hour reading all the postings on that link.AsIf i didnt have enough sites to regularly catch up on already...
As someone who has had a longtime fascination in the radio scene and the careers of broadcast artists, that forum is ADDICTIVE.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the show is just fine without drew - I like the mike/mike and mark show. those guys are funnier than drew and not so shitty. they all make too much money , as evidenced by walters' giant hummer2. hahaha ! (just kidding mike.)

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike needs Drew to survive. Every once in a while, the show is ok....but, JUST ok. And, Now that the producers have taken over the show, sports babble and "catty" chat is even more predominant.
As far as 97.1's "Dumbinski and Dull"...Thank God they are going, going...gone!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drew had fallen into a pessimistic slump the last couple years. The show lacked its irreverent humor and shticks that it had in the past. When Drew went on sabbatical, the interim crew got back to being humorous again. I like the show again, although wish they could occasionally touch a little deeper on the bigger current events. Not beat it to death like Drew was doing, but discuss it a little more.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to listen to NPR on WDET, until they hired Amy Miller and she did not go away. I cannot stand listening to her screw up the news. Then I turned to WUOM for my NPR fix.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could live with more music & less idiocy on the radio..Doesn't matter which commercial morning show you tune into on the FM dial, they're ALL taking the low-brow path that Howard Stern made so popular.

I've taken to dialing in 88.1 in the car, regardless of where I travel so I can sample the public radio end of the spectrum.
High school kids seem to have the best music radio everywhere, but especially in the metro Detroit suburban area, and their low wattage stations are all parked at 88.1
Plymouth/Canton's "the Escape" is what 89X wishes it still was.
Bloomfield Hills High's "the Biff" plays a nice varied selection, sorta like "Doug FM" minus the endless self promo drivel & commercials.

Sorta went off-topic, huh?

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Drew, but now that Mike is used to doing the show with Mike, it's gotten much better. It was a rough for the first week or two.

Personally, I REALLY miss Daminski and Doyle. 97.1 is a joke now. How much sports do you really need? I used to listen to D&D daily while at work and as dumb as it amy sound, they made my afternoons better.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jerrytimes, 97.1 is a SPORTS STATION, hence all of their programing will be featured around sports. Jay and Bill to give you a break from sports but asking 97.1 how much sports you need is like asking the Food Network how many cooking shows you need!

And by the way, the only person worth listening to on Detroit radio is Mike Valenti. He can be a jerk, but he speaks his mind and knows his stuff.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im normally an NPR guy, but sometimes I need a fart joke and fake laughter. Drew and Mike are pratically Detroit institution. Only Pete W. and Terry G.has my attention. Thats a compliment. Fuck a D&D. Theres two true idiots. I also have to say that I very much like whoever fills in for Drew. I honestly dont listen to them that much but sometimes their a riot. Not to mention my favorite part of their show, T Daniels. I sound like I work for em dont I?. Yall cant deny a good fart joke though.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx- I liked those stations but i dont think i have any in my area.When I lived near Birmingham in my teen years I could get the BIFF though it was kinda scratchy. When I worked in Novi I periodically got the Escape. Novi High School also had a station but a lot of times it was a loop. They programmed about 2 hours of music, then when it was done, it would just start over. A bit dissapointing.
Are there any of these stations within listening range of Hazel Park/Madison Heights? I remember Warren had one a long time ago but I dont remember the frequency

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The collection of Drew/Mike type shows is what drove me to buy my first iPod 5 years ago. I agree with Zrx, we have way too many overgrown kids on the radio that go overboard just to get "shock" ratings.
I was glad when Howard Stern went to satellite. I have listened to D/M & found it entertaining at times, but I asked myself if I'd let my kids listen to it? The answer is a resounding NO.

If you like music in the morning, a cool alternative is Ann Arbor 107.1. Martin Bandyke moved over there from WDET & he spins some great stuff. I can get it in Detroit as I drive west, & Bandyke is from Harper Woods!

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've really been enjoying Music and Company with Tom Allen on CBC Radio 2 recently.

He makes classical music entertaining.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Allen is the best! Go Vultures!

I also love Studio Sparks with Eric Friesen and DiscDrive with Jurgen Gothe. I feel like I've known these guys forever.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started listening to the Drew and Mike show on the way to work recently (never thought to before) and much to my surprise, I enjoy it. Recently, they've been doing a tv theme music quiz using randomly selected songs from compilation cds; quite funny. Their take on the news each morning is way more fun than listening to the quasi-monotone of NPR (sorry).