Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit's Signature Food » Archive through April 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perch, Walleye, Pike, Whitefish all old Detroit favorites.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yummy i want to go back home...yummy coney islands

hey me and my friend got into an argument about where coneys come from...detroit or NY?

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresh warm salted bagels with cream cheese. White castles. Saunders! Coneys, smoked fish. Can't get these things here in Texas and I really miss them.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole Frankenmuth German thing was just something made up by the folks in Frankenmuth. In fact it was a guy named Wally Bronner who dreamt up the whole erzatz thing as an answer to the building of I-75 in 1958.

True, Frankenmuth was founded in the 1850's by a bunch of Lutheran German farmers, but that whole half-timbered crap is as fake as Michael Jackson's nose.

For as much as I dislike Frankemuth and their fake German ompaapaa crapola, I have to hand it to the citizens of Frankenmuth for getting behind an idea and sticking to it. The city is one of - if not the largest - tourist location in Michigan and the citizens pool their tax dollars and promote the hell out of their little town.

The streets are spotless, the buildings immaculate and the folks are welcoming.

Everything Detroit isn't.

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=118

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone should come up with a Detroit themed restaurant that offers an all you can eat of the best of the best tastes of Detroit under one roof. Betcha it would be a great hit!

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Coney thing comes from Michigan. All in all it's a just a diffrent kind of chilli dog. In NY/NJ their is some real good hot dog places around that serve more then just chilli dogs.

Chicago dogs are completely diffrent ball game. Just the same as the pizza from there. Most deep dish pizza imtimidators here aren't so grand. I'd love to see more mom&pop style pizza places pop up and not these imitations of deep dish places or etc.

In the south BBQ, fried foods is the food down there. Im suprised no one mentioned Punchki's.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6232
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

-smoked white fish in leland

Oh MAN! Fishtown, here I come.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,
There was a restaurant like that in downtown Denver for a while. You could go in and get a Coney, a Faygo redpop and a bag of Bettermades.
Unfortunately, it went out of business the same summer my daughter moved out there.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Boy is one of my least favorite restaurants.

I don't think anyone mentioned Kowalski sausage. Pinconning cheese is always worth stopping for (good one Gnome).

Don't forget Michigan's awesome wines and beers! (I know, not Detroit, but...)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - how long ago was that restaurant opened in Denver? I have a childhood friend from Detroit that has lived there for about 15 years. She's never mentioned it to me.

Whenever we go visit her there, her one request from back home is Faygo Rock & Rye. We take several cases each time and she hoards it away from her grandsons! They would scarf it all down if she let them know she had it in the house! LOL - And funny thing is, my other childhood friend that now lives in San Diego; her request of a taste of home is Vernors. So we take her a couple of cases of that.

Oh, and those are driving vacations of course! :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter moved out there in summer of 99. It was in an office building on the 16th st mall where they had a food court. It closed before I had a chance to get out there, so I don't know how long it was open.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jcole. I'll have to mention it the next time I email my friend to see if she was aware of it being there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6362
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, excellent link of Detroit News.

Yes, we call it POP. "Hey Joey, get me a pop out the icebox."

jjaba, fressing on a Milton Berle Combination.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6363
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget smelt season on the Eastside.

jjaba.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corned Beef sandwiches from Lou's Deli or Bread Basket

Jcole

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, Smelt season when I was a kid, was the best. I didn't dip, but my dad did, and my mom would freeze a bunch so that I could have them for my birthday dinner in February of the next year. Lightly floured, pan fried and served with a sprinkle of lemon pepper with shoestring french fries on the side, and red velvet cake for dessert. Oh, to go back 40 years and eat them again.

Jcole

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, I think it might have been in the Tabor Center. Not positive, tho.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, now you guys done went and did it! I need my smelt fix. Wasn't it Milroy's on Gratiot near Toepher that served really good smelt dinners? Anyone know for sure if they're still in business?

Jcole - I'll mention that center to her as well. Thanks!

Jcole

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go to the Milroy's on Kelly near Houson-Whittier across from the Civic theater. I don't remember smelt dinners there, but I loved the battered cod and especially the big, yeasty rolls with the little butter pats on cardboard squares with a square of waxed paper on top. I couldn't say fish and chips when I was really small, so I used to ask for pish and fips on Fridays.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww that's cute - pish and fips! Reminds me our son couldn't say pork chops - he called them chork pocks! Kids say such cute stuff :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6364
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody in my neighborhood could pronounce Chiam Filipowitzkoff so we just called him, Chiam the Pisher. Later, he changed his name to Charles Fountain (inside joke.)

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 733
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-quote-
Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 4:23 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"Utz's chips & Old Iron City for the emigrees from PA steel country."

Or Snyders of Berlin chips for those from my home county of Somerset in southwestern PA (now famous for Quecreek mine and 9-11 crash...).

-end quote-

Buffalo wings out of Cambria County are the best I've found...

Back to Detroit: anything on a charcoal grill at the Metro Park is "Detroit."

Gnome

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh man, jcole, boy do I miss dipping. nothing like wadding chest deep in the middle of the night and scooping up hundreds of runners. you could catch smelt just by dipping your baseball hat in the river. best done slightly drunk.

On the whole Michigan food theme, have to let everyone know that Juillerete's in Harbor Springs closed for good in September. Juillerete's was known for it's planked whitefish and Ice Cream thing called a Velvet Cloud. I think it had been in buisness for 110+ years ... all within the same family.

And Jjaba, I've gotten a bit militant about "Pop". When I see "the Orginal Ginger Soda" printed on my bottle of Vernors it frosts my cookies.

Gnome

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and speaking of fish, I urge everyone to head to Scotty Simpson's on five Mile in Detroit. By far the finest fish and chips around

Scotty Simpson's pix in freep

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 704
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck yeah forgot all about the beer. Bell's is one of my fav' Michigan brewed beers & Michigan Brewing Company as well.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck yeah forgot all about the beer. Bell's is one of my fav' Michigan brewed beers & Michigan Brewing Company as well.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coney Island Pizza. Sliced hot dogs, onions on coney sauce covered with blended cheese. Comes with mustard on the side. Had one at an indie, Bella's Pizza in Allen Park. Most satisfactory!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

occasionally, people order Coney Island omelettes--hot dogs and onions inside, chili on top (cheese optional) with white toast

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.hofmannsausage.com/ products/ProductDetails.aspx?C ategoryOfProductID=16&ProductI D=59

These are the real deal. The "Coney-Dog" is just a Detroit variation. Once you have had a coney (actually pronounced "coonie") from the original source, you will understand. These are fantastic, don't contaminate them with kraut, onions or chili, just a little mustard. Too much crap on them and you can't enjoy the flavor of the coney itself! A good Detroit Coney-Dog is great, but it is totally different from an original.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's got to be a coney with a Sander's Hot Fudge cream puff, followed by Better Made Barbecue chips washed down with grape Faygo. And then for a snack GOOD HUMOR ice cream...and then, remember going into a K-Mart or SS Kresge and the submarine sandwich counter in the front - three subs for 99cents...I can still smell the onions....