Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Small Abandon Buildings In The CBD « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for information about three of the CBD's smaller buildings. Historical information, past uses, and current uses would be very helpful. The below addresses are guesses.

The buildings are:

1. 1314 Washington Blvd. between The Clark Tower Lofts and The Archdiocese Offices/St. Aloysius Catholic Church. It's a two story building.

2. The triangular building at the intersection of Clifford and Griswold.

3. 1235 Washington Blvd. next to the Book Building/Tower. It's a two story building.

J_fish
Username: J_fish

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no. 2 is owned by my ex boss. He's a member of the golden ticket syndrome. It used to be a night club from what I hear its a pretty cool space. Before he bought it they shot some of the battle scenes from eight mile.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abandoned.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the triangular building on clifford and griswald, are you referring to the small synagogue next to D'Mongo's? If so, I have heard that it is the only conservative synagogue in downtown, and is only hanging on by a thread. According to my source to hold a service at such a synagogue, there must be 10 persons present. Even with the live in janitor, they only occasionally can come up with 10. :-( It would be a cool house. - Andy

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that synagogue building is really cool. how sad about the services!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't aware that it was used for anything. (It's the building with the 30 and the for sale sign on it).

Thanks for the correction Pam. Now I know.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3615
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Washington Blvd in 1943:

Washington Blvd 1943 east

2. 30 Clifford. Was a fire station a long time ago. I'm guessing the current building is not the original. In 1940 it was a restaurant called The Cow Shed. A few years later it was divided into a bar on the west side and an eyeglass store on the east side.

3. 1943 again:

Washington Blvd 1943 west

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5960
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Clark Tower Lofts, what's up with them? Weren't they temporary lofts for the SuperBowl?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.