Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Another positive experience in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City parking enforcement officer noticed me having trouble with one of the new meters that accepts credit/debit cards, pulled up,asked me if I needed help, couldnt get the meter to work, so he set it so I would have time in the library. Very pleasant man, wish I would have gotten his name so I could send a compliment to his department.
Back in 98 when I was utilizing the bus service, a DDOT employee in a department van noticed that I had missed the bus and proceded to pick me up and take me to the stop,or flagged down the driver to stop cant remember exactly how it went down, but those instances are just one of several nice occurences Ive had in the D.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one of the nicest experiences in Detroit about a month ago. I took the train from Ann Arbor to Detroit, went to downtown for a few hours and needed to get back to the station. I got onto a SMART bus and we got to Baltimore St. I pulled the cord to stop, but the driver kept going. It seems that only the yellow and green (DDOT?) busses stop when you do that unless I missed something. I didn't know what to do and I felt screwed and that I was going to miss my train. One of the guys I sat next too got up and asked the bus driver for a transfer ticket for me because the bus driver seemed like in a bad mood and I didn't know how the bus fare-transfer system worked. Then a nice lady had me get off at her stop and directed me to a place in which I was able to flag down a DDOT bus to the Amtrak station. I made it onto my train with only an extra minute to spare. I was so thankful to the man and woman who helped me. :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4686
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good stuff. Your second story, Terryh, is really phenomenal. That's not something you expect.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you pull the cord on either a DDOT or SMART bus, the bus stops at the next designated stop on that line. SMART stops tend to be further apart than DDOT stops. If you make it clear that you missed your stop, some drivers will let you off at a red light or something, but some will just keep driving.

I saw this happen on a SMART bus not too long ago--a woman wanted to get off at Holbrook, but the driver wouldn't stop until just inside the Highland Park border.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.