Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ghostly Int'l BoyCat Bird on Adult Swim « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who are interested in a real local success story ...

Here is a writeup on Cool Hunting about the collaboration between Ghostly International and Adult Swim. There is an animated cartoon of the Ghostly Mascots BoyCatBird in a music video to be shown, plus there is a free download of a compilation of Ghostly music specifically for Adult Swim.

http://www.coolhunting.com/arc hives/2008/04/ghostly_swim_in. php

The best part is that Ghostly has maintained local roots despite increased national and international business. And Ghostly's first record had that "Put your hands up for Detroit" line that got sampled by Freddie Le Grand and made into the song everyone loves to put on their MySpace pages now.

Well, and I guess personally I'm glad b/c this is written by the guy who worked as the manager in my store for a long time, and was almost my business partner in Mezzanine Detroit. Until the siren song of a girlfriend lured him to NYC. It happens.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Cool.

I actually just downloaded that album tonight.

I am a fan of Deastro's music, its great to see him featured on this album. I think he is an artist to keep an eye on.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ghostly...

ahh, must be nice to have a millionaire dad help the business.

not knockin him, im yay detroit as well.

but i got little respect for the brand.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So wait, you have a problem with the label actually starting with enough money to make it? Clearly you know exactly zero about business.

It actually sounds like you *are* knocking him.

Don't be jealous.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ahh, must be nice to have a millionaire dad help the business.

i see where you're coming from, that's kinda my gut (jealous) reaction when hearing about stories like his too, but you better beleive i would accept some monitary help from my dad if he were anything close to a millionaire to start my own business.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of him, or them. Is it a band or a cartoon or what?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Valenti is the brains behind Ghostly International, an Ann Arbor record label, who's core artists include:

Matthew Dear
Dabrye
Mobius Band
Solvent
Skeletons and the Kings of All Cities
Kill Memory Crash
Aeroc
Twine
Lusine
Cepia
Christopher Willits
Kiln
Tadd Mullinix
Dykehouse
PostPrior

BoyCatBird is a comic drawn by Mike Segal, which was adopted as a Ghostly International mascot, and will now be shown in animation on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network.

I used to have the Ghostly International pink cat head sticker, it has since disappeared :-( I would love to get another

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care where he gets the money from, I think Ghostly is an excellent label with an eye on quality in terms of music, branding, and promotion. They (he?) know what they're doing and it shows.

Good for Ghostly.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good for ghostly, and good for the people who are on the label, im glad they can make a living. Honestly and truthfully.

but I know people who have worked for the ghostly office in the past and to think that they are doing it on their own is a joke. However, im not privy to their financial situation as of present, so maybe things have changed.

My respect will go to all the detroit labels that dont have daddy helping them out. Call me a hater if you want.

(Message edited by KOVA on April 25, 2008)

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent call Dan on Daestro. Ghostly is an amazing label that is making leaps and bounds each year.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side bar...what ever happened to Midwest Product???

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You spend your life working hard so your kids can have a better life, and not have to deal with all this stuff in the cruel world. No wait! You don't want to do that. Then everyone will call him fake, better switch over to the Detroit side and put him in the rough urban environment. Oh wait, those schools only have a 25% graduation rate, and there are drugs and guns in those schools. Back to the suburban schools, oh no! He just got a girl pregnant while doing drugs, at some crazy party in a recently foreclosed home, or while mommy and daddy are away. At least he's alive, the urban schools have regular shootings. Oh shoot, I forgot Columbine. That can happen in the suburbs too? God, please, why can't I find a perfect place to raise and shelter my kids? "

When will people realize that race, religion, certain lifestyle choices, sex, and income don't matter all that much?

I was watching an episode of House awhile ago, and they made the great point on the topic of trying to impress, or richness. See, the real people in life who don't care, the people that "keep it real" are the geeks and outcasts. They know what their image is, but they do it anyway, because that is what they want to do. Everyone else is out on a big ego trip. And yes, outcasts can have money.

These divisions are the same as the divisions of Detroit and it's suburbs. I'm sure everyone has seen The Brady Bunch episode where they draw a line through their room.

Money is easy to make, but hard to maintain, especially by kids who never had to earn it. I feel bad for those rich kids, because they are going to end up losing it all nine times out of ten.

So quick to judge and throw a stone when you haven't walked in their shoes? It is a hater mentality. We're all born into the same prison, why are you calling the kettle black? The grass is not greener on the rich side, but the poor will never agree with that, I'm sure (at least, until they waste their life trying to get there, as that will surely bring solutions to all their problems). I really don't even have to continue.

Money just shouldn't be powerful enough to be one of those imaginary lines. It really shouldn't.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.