Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'City lost another little business' « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forumers who haven't yet seen Detroitblogger John's latest illustrated essay, posted April 24 at detroitblog, can catch a typically touching tribute to a slice of Detroit life . . . gone by the wayside.
quote:

. . . the city lost another little business, the kind that make a city interesting.

You'll meet a plucky former Midtown merchant named Cheryl West, who says: "We tried to tough it out, but to no avail. I guess it was not to be."
x

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitblog John -- whoever he may be -- has my respect as the finest blog writer I've ever come across.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6332
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The header on his Web page looks suspiciously like one of Ryan Southen's photos.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

“People would not believe what goes on in that building,” she says now of the Fisher Building. In her three years there she was robbed six times and endured countless shoplifters, she says.

WTF? In the Fisher?????

"Security is an absolute joke there and there was no security presence down that hallway. I’m so glad I’m out of there."

Completely changes my opinion of the Fisher building and it's management. I had assumed that since WJR and the like are in there that security would be better. I guess not.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6015
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJR possibly had Jack Benny implement its security system--with an alligator-filled moat, etc.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6623
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The header on his Web page looks suspiciously like one of Ryan Southen's photos.

I assure you it's his own photo.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4140
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DV, that's one person's complaint. Take it with a grain of salt unless the other merchants agree.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in the Fisher Building's Pure Detroit store a few years ago and have to say that the security people were great and very quick to arrive when we did have a problem, which wasn't very often at all. Maybe things have changed in the last two years since I was there?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6336
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Aiw. I retract my suspicion.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very difficult to run a retail business in an area where very few people go to shop, no matter the business, no matter how nice.

When people have a need to buy things, they go where they think there is a good chance they can get the things they need to buy. Meantime, by serendipity, they may find other things they like and buy those things too.

It would never occur to me to go to the New Center to do shopping. I don't think of that as a retail area. If I'm wrong, it means the New Center hasn't done a good job promoting itself as a shopping district.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one has shopped there since Winkleman's closed in the mid 80's. Posters can fill in other merchants names from this once bustling shopping district.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Crowley's location wasn't bad--and was the last full-line department store in the D. At the time, of course, it had GM HQ across the street--which didn't hurt.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6036
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the oldest hardware stores in Detroit is located kitty-corner to the Amtrak Station. It's over eighty years old and still run by its founder's family.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 965
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee and folks wonder why more businesses don't move to the D. When they'll stealing brownies and knick knacks, you have some desperate thieves.
That bakery on Warren had some great pastries.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.