Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Can Anyone Find Old Photo of Missing Eastern Market Building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6719
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, back in the 1980's I remember that there were 5 historic old buildings on the block that has R. Hirt Jr. Co. Here's the block today:

The building that is sadly missing is the one that used to be to the left of R. Hirt. It went by the name "Fronterra Bros.". It caught fire at some time in the late 1980's to early 1990's. Sadly, although the ornate red brick facade (with fancy red arches over the 2nd story windows) was still intact, it was completely bulldozed. That building had the 2nd fanciest facade on the block, after the Hirt Building.

It's a sad loss that most folks on this forum aren't aware of.

Googling "Fronterra Bros." or anthing similar does not come up with any results.

Anyone have an old pic of the block (or just that building) from earlier in the 20th century?

Thanks,
Gistok

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistok; there is an old GMC trucks add from the eighties that shows the entire line in front of this building. you might have better luck with that. if you want to see a large, original print of this, vivio's has one hanging in their dining room on the first floor. it's up high, above the stove/waitress station.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't this the poultry market that burned? It got a lot of press at the time, and there are probably pictures of it via News/Freep.

Rsa

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob; you're thinking of gratiot central market. that's much more recent and has been rebuilt since then.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was a bar the 'Pushcart Cafe' the Fronterras lived in our neighborhood,growing up

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one from the Virtual Motor City site:

EM

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the Eastern Market--in the "welcome center," you will find what you are looking for.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok...
I have this one, from an original snapshot in my collection.
Not the best focus, but you can see a lot of the building you're interested in. Guessing from the automobiles present, I would date this ca. 1920.
Enjoy!

Gistok

Post Number: 6726
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks folks!

My memory must be getting bad... the building next to R. Hirt that is still standing is the 2nd nicest of the row of buildings, not the one that burned town... although it's still a loss...

Gistok

Post Number: 6734
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Krawlspace, thanks for the pics... now that begs another question... notice the Eastern Market Shed in the pictures on the right? Since today's Eastern Market shed numbers start with Shed #2, and since the shed in that picture no longer exists (no sheds in front of the Hirt block)... I assume that was Shed #1.

Anyone know the history of this shed?

Also, speaking of sheds... anyone have any updates on the former Belle Isle Stables, which were dismantled and sent to The Henry Ford. That used to be a shed from Central Market on Cadillac Square, right?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait, judging from krawlspace's photos.... did they bulldoze a shed to build that paring lot!? WHAT THE HELL! Can't people just walk a few blocks from the structure... geez.

And I remember my mom talking about the fire when I was a kid. Wasn't there some insurance fraud/arson involved? I remember everyone seemed VERY shaken up.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait, judging from krawlspace's photos.... did they bulldoze a shed to build that paring lot!? WHAT THE HELL! Can't people just walk a few blocks from the structure... geez.

And I remember my mom talking about the fire when I was a kid. Wasn't there some insurance fraud/arson involved? I remember everyone seemed VERY shaken up.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in early elementary school in the 80s (at Burton elementary on cass), there was some kind of insurance fraud/arson rumor circulating about that structure involving parents of a kid at school. As a six- or seven-year-old, I didn't really know what was going on, but I remember hearing about it.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also tore down the Detroit House of Corrections that stood on the corner of Russell and Alfred Streets.

Not sure when the shed in front JR Hirt was removed, but the picture below (1920's) shows the DoHOC before they built the place in Northville.

eastern market for the air

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the shed was removed when the freeway was put in.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another shot of Shed 1, it was larger than 2:

link

And another from inside Shed 2:

link

Anybody know where this is:

link
?

What about the building that looks like a school, at the current location of Sheds 5 and 6? You can see it in this picture and the one linked in a previous post:

link

Here is a larger color picture of the building that started the thread:

link

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JSM-
I think the building that looks like a school is the Detroit House of Corrections. I believe it was first built as a Poor House in 1861. They tore it down in the late '20s / early '30s.

That photo of the truck farmers looks like it was taken in that parking area to the east of the jail. The buildings in the background seem to match.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't the former stables that used to be on the east end of Belle Isle from Eastern Market, prior to being moved? A few years back they were moved again to preserve some of the brickwork, and the Freep wrote about the buildings history. I cant remember the details though.

Rsa

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the stables that were on belle isle was the old central market, formerly located in cadillac square.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the cast iron and other architectural elements from the Cadillac Square market/former Belle Isle stables were transferred to The Henry Ford. At one point, there was a plan by curators to rebuild/reconfigure the market building in Greenfield Village. Not sure whatever happened to that idea.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI:

Here is a picture of the old Central Market: VMC Link

And another: Link

This one too: Link

Maybe this is as well? Link

Gone in 1902: Link

Interesting shot from the 70s (no market): Link

And one of somebody's idea (also no market): Link

BTW - kept bumping into this building on my VMC searches: Bond Clothes I really like it. It was on the eastern corner of Woodward and Campus Martius, right where the Borders is now.

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at Greenfield Village. The main architectural elements of the Central market are stored on site. It will probably be years before the place can get enough money to reconstruct the building.

The main elements of the Marshall DT&M Roundhouse were stored on site for years before there was enough impetus and money to get that re-built.

The old market definitely won't be going back up until well after this economic downturn. Things don't happen there unless the money is flowing in.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.