Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Jefferson retail aid pushed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson retail aid pushed
Detroit, foundation propose grants
BY JOHN GALLAGHER • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER • April 25, 2008

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080425/BUS INESS04/804250409/1017/BUSINES S

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds Great!

I hope they get some brand name stores!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The East Jefferson corridor is served by some retail, including stores in the Harbortown complex. But residents in the district, like those throughout the city at large, complain of having to go to the suburbs to find many kinds of stores."

Suburban stores on East Jefferson? That's the impression I get. Generally good news, but would be odd to have a Wal Mart on that stretch...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4697
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson has been trending in this direction for awhile, CP. It has CVS, Rite Aid, IHOP, Staples, dollar store chains, big name banks, among other things. There are easily more chain stores than other types of retail along all of East Jefferson. I have no problem with that, but design stipulations ought to come with this grant money [it won't]. Parking in the back, please!

And, of course, EJ needs a major grocer with Farmer Jack having been obliterated. The space is sitting their, waiting, over by Conner (but this is beyond the space covered by this grant).

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Suburban stores on East Jefferson? That's the impression I get. Generally good news, but would be odd to have a Wal Mart on that stretch..."

Well, Home Depot thought it was enough space for retail at the lot on St. Jean and Jefferson, so a big box store it's size wouldn't look SO strange.

I have no problem with it personally. Ironically, one of the reasons there's so much suburban retail along Jefferson is because that's where most of the profit is (with Grosse Pointers commuting along it to and from downtown and the wealthier neighborhoods of Indian Village, Jefferson Village, and a few other areas.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5958
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't see a problem with it either. It doesn't really look or feel all that odd considering the layout of the street. You stack on top of that some awfully large lots for an urban area, and it kind of just works that way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.