Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Light rail service » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5957
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just replacing some buses with LRT or streetcars will not increase any appreciable number of jobs not directly related to the enterprise. I too could throw out some BS about job creation (or lack of same) that the city and its DY sycophants are doing here and elsewhere.

But really, do you think that rebuilding some transit will enable Detroit to rebound? Twelve thousand net jobs are significant and surely would be noticed. But, simply throwing stuff against the wall in the hope that something will stick is running pretty thin, considering that most Detroiters with even lousy memories have all heard that nonsense time and time again over the past four decades.

It's about time that you--the RT supporters baptize new converts instead of reconfirming the already confirmed...

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just replacing some buses with LRT or streetcars will not increase any appreciable number of jobs not directly related to the enterprise."

If new development results in more jobs (i'm not sure how it wouldn't...) then evidence to the contrary has been cited clearly and reliably here 100 times.

"simply throwing stuff against the wall in the hope that something will stick is running pretty thin"

Developing long-term infrastructure that has been demonstrated in dozens of other cities is throwing something against the wall and hoping it sticks?

"It's about time that you--the RT supporters baptize new converts instead of reconfirming the already confirmed..."

They will find the money to fund the the other 40% and the converts will come when the line is built. This is why they gave up on developing an entire regional network at once to instead focus on getting a single line down.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many people on the board, I am cautiously excited. However, I have a few questions about this project. There seem to be a lot of stops for a rapid transit system. I guess I am envisioning something like the El in Chicago, but at street level or more appropriately, something like the T in Boston. That said, would it not make more sense to have something like 10?
Also, 20 mph seems slow, but of course for safety reasons this may be the fastest they could go. Could it not go 40 mph? What are the reasons for this seemingly slow speed?

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know where you are getting the number from, but 20 mph is an average speed, including stops.

Most LRT systems top out between 40 and 60 mph. I would imagine that in sections of Woodward south of McNichols, top speed would be 35 mph or so, north of there, it might be more like 40 of 50 mph.

But this is really little more than a guess.

As for the number of stops, there is certainly a trade off between access and speed. But to give you a Chicago example, on the Red Line between Wrigley Field and the loop, there are 9 stops, this is a distance less than 5 miles.

But there are significant differences between what Detroit is proposing and what the El is. The El is a high capacity rapid transit system (heavy rail). Detroit wants to build a light rail system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ight_rail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R apid_transit

A good examples of similar system is Portland, OR's MAX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M AX_Light_Rail

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmyers, yeah what we have set up here in L.A. is pretty good & it's about to get better(they'll soon end up with the light rail commuting with the commuter rail, fine by me they've jacked up the commuter rail to an ungodly rate) I've ridden Tri-MAX in P-town, Sactown, Dallas system-heard mixed reviews about St. Louis-even Tucson has a mediocre trolley that goes a mile...the one that set off the light rail boom is the San Diego Trolley since it works but mostly because they did it for so cheap...they even took it thru one of their most prominent cemeteries(dunno how many bodies were relocated)

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To respond to the 465 one way question earlier, the Woodward Limited service offered by SMART in the opposite direction is the 445/475 routes.

They all have different end points in the suburbs, but most of the ridership comes from along Woodward between Birmingham and downtown anyway.

Dbetts
Username: Dbetts

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all, first ever post.

To bring back an old issue raised by Gistock (I believe) and not really answered, does anyone know if the parade has been factored into this equation at all?

For the record I COMPLETELY support light rail down Woodward, with the hope of adding more spokes of the wheel in addition to Woodward, rail into Oakland county, and an Ann Arbor to Detroit rail joining in and spawning a real reliable regional rail transit system. The whole concept makes too much sense. I'm a recent U of M grad and my buddies are the ones exiting all the time partially because we don't have this a transport system like this yet.

I'm just curious if anyone has considered parade issues with any seriousness.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Dbetts. I do not have any idea on the parade. I am excited to hear about this, but I won't get my hopes up until it gets past the planning stages.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they succeed in constructing light rail on woodward, I will not cry if the parade has to reroute.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the parade and LRT has been discussed here a long time ago. I don't know what URS or the city have thought.

I would guess that the parade will get moved to an all-downtown routing,

Last year the parade went from Mack to Larned:

http://www.theparade.org/dbdoc .aspx?id=58

Maybe in the future it will go from GCP down to Congress or Jefferson, then take one of those streets for a few blocks in either direction. There are many possibilities:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms ?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1107 83396714351599619.00044b7a54e9 b7ababbc3&ll=42.331821,-83.045 847&spn=0.011072,0.020084&t=k& z=16

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More good news from yesterday's announcement: the proposed light rail trains would allow bike roll-ons. This should provide more incentive for DDOT to get bike racks on their buses, especially those that would feed this line.

This also would make it easier for folks who don't live Downtown to enjoy the Riverwalk.

I have some additional information on the LRT plans and biking on my blog.
http://www.m-bike.org/blog/200 8/04/22/detroits-light-rail-pl ans-accomodates-biking

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1926 the city did another transit study report. This one called for a subway system, elevated system and street system. It was pretty impressive.

What's really funny is one of the proposals is the exact proposal being proposed now. Just 80 years later.

http://www.gotdetroit.com/img/ transit/transit_study.pdf

It's 11MB so it's pretty chucky.

(Message edited by gotdetroit on April 23, 2008)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Back in 1926 the city did another transit study report. This one called for a subway system, elevated system and street system. It was pretty impressive.

What's really funny is one of the proposals is the exact proposal being proposed now. Just 80 years later.

I believe that construction had actually started on some of the subway stations, before the entire project was squashed by the Great Depression. Immediately after that, you have WWII, and then the rise of suburbia. It seems by then, the extensive transit system had been lost in the collective memory.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Any idea how far along they got with the construction of those stations. It would be interesting if remnants of them were still under the ground somewheres.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4774
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to be convinced where half that money applied to the Woodward bus line wouldn't produce better results.

This means 24 hour 10 minute minimum waits, clean new battery-powered electric buses with shelters at every stop, posted and enforced times, a transportation security force big enough to make even the most timid feel comfortable, a fleet of express buses, free coffee and beverages, and minimum fee parking lots at express stops.

Couldn't that be done for under $185 million, no wires and no tearing up Woodward for tracks?

Make the buses work first. They will always be with us no matter what.

For meaningful light rail, let's work on the getting the Ann Arbor, DTW, downtown line [new center at least] working.

Unfortunately this sounds too much like the MCS as police station idea; more for consumption than reality.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4169
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotdetroit, check out this thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/for ums/Detroit-Subway-t18781.html

Lowell, I understand your skepticism. But there is no way on earth a bus line can perform on par with rail, no matter how much money you dump into it. In the long-term, the operational costs of the bus would far exceed the rail, and the ride quality characteristics are severely limited. I say this as one who regularly rides both rail and bus, and it's no contest which mode I prefer.

Light rail is going to be faster, for one, and since it's on a fixed guideway, is going to address your reliability issue. Less moving parts means less maintenance, and less friction means less wear and tear; we all know how pleasant it is to ride on a bus that's on the verge of a breakdown. Let's not forget that rail spurs investment, as other cities (most recently Charlotte, of all places) are seeing before their lines even open. When was the last time a business opened up because there was a sign on a metal pole in front of the building?

What you seem to propose, however, is akin to bus "rapid" transit. Such a system is being implemented on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland as we speak. After 25 years of planning, what was originally a subway line will be 6 miles of "rapid" bus service--at a cost of $250 million, or about the same cost as a light rail system.

Folk313
Username: Folk313

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,
Ann Arbor and DTW are of a scope beyond light rail, at least of this sort. As for your suggestion for meaningful light rail for a "downtown line [new center at least] working" first, isn't that exactly what this proposal is all about?

I can understand the skepticism about the woodward rail, but can't see how it should linger beyond a few moments of doubt. streetcars will, i believe, be the saving grace of many cities' transport systems. if they worked sixty years ago, and continue to work today, even in the quotidian neighborhoods of cities proper, they can work today and they absolutely must work in the future. I have no doubts that sustainable, meaningful development will follow the construction of this very important asset.

As for buses, they have a significant role to play also. however, it's time that Detroit make the capital investment to diversify its infrastructure. Woodward avenue is the right place to take the first step.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folk,

I agree 100%.

I also hope that one day, the light rail service can be expanded. With lines running down Grand River, Michigan, Gratiot and Jefferson (heading north). Perhaps an additional spur could be added to the Michigan line that would run down Vernor into the Mexicantown neighborhood?

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you who continually raise this subject on the forum, I have put the following on my word processor so I don't have to write it each time another harebrained and unworkable idea is hatched. I respect Danindc and his extensive knowledge of transit systems and their value.

This area will NOT have rapid transit for two overpowering reasons.

1. Federal funds are a must for any rail system and the Feds will not appropriate any money to the political clowns of Michigan (Granholm, Stabinow, etc. in the state, and the City of Detroit politicos don't even warrant names to chuckle over their incompetence). Senator Carl Levin is the exception to this as he is widely respected by both parties. No fed money = no mass rail transit of any sort.

2. No one will ride in a public transit system in Detroit because of CRIME. Everyone wants to get where they are going safely. The lenient judges and juries of Detroit preclude this.

Rail transit coming to this area is as likely as steam locomotives running down the center of Woodward. End of story.

First written 6-2005

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never ever saw anybody so proud of not having changed their mind in three years. :-)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo, that's what they planned...

...back in 1926.

map

http://www.gotdetroit.com/img/transit/transit_study.pdf

Greatlakes

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the foreshadowing from page 3 of that report:

quote:

We must realize that the creative genius that has given us the automotive industry will continue to find expression in other forms and products and that Detroit is destined to grow. Whether that growth is to be uniform, efficient, and economical depends largely upon the wisdom of our plans and accomplishments.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rail transit coming to this area is as likely as steam locomotives running down the center of Woodward. End of story.

Get ready to wipe that soot off your face.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1. Federal funds are a must for any rail system and the Feds will not appropriate any money to the political clowns of Michigan (Granholm, Stabinow, etc. in the state, and the City of Detroit politicos don't even warrant names to chuckle over their incompetence). Senator Carl Levin is the exception to this as he is widely respected by both parties. No fed money = no mass rail transit of any sort. "

How much you want to bet that getting federal funding does not obstruct this project?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5981
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lack of sufficient local capital and operating funding is the major stumbling block. Hell! Detroit has been cannibalizing its DDOT right along--fewer routes; shorter days for others; some buses are short (drivers playing hooky or buses unavailable) for their scheduled shifts, etc.

Detroit is a financial basket case and poster child.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how long until this thing is actually ready to use? Do the forumers really think they will break ground on this thing within 3 years or is it going to be decades before something happens?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So how long until this thing is actually ready to use? Do the forumers really think they will break ground on this thing within 3 years or is it going to be decades before something happens?

This mostly inactive debate dates back some thirty years, and all what came of that was the PM, twenty-one years ago. And most everybody must agree by this time that it too was a failure.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5941
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty, I suspect this proposal, having gotten further than any proposal in years, will be relatively close to schedule. Unlike previous attempts are the return of rapid transit, the current city administration has made this a solid priority, putting behind it substantial manpower, rather than a dream.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5983
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LM was extremely helpful with supplying the forum with any details other than kissing the rings of members of the current administration.

DTOGS expects ground breaking sometime during 2011, with 24 to 30 months for construction. That means that the proposed plan would come online no earlier than mid 2013, and it just might not be running until late 2014--according to DTOGS.
quote:

Construction on Woodward Avenue could begin as soon as 2011 and is dependent on unified local support, Federal approvals and securing matching funds. Construction is expected to take 24 to 30 months.

Still, there are some necessary items that must happen locally before any construction or before the feds cough up the 50% to 60%. Mainly, the feds must be convinced that there are means of support locally for it. That involves a lot more than some DY posters going ga-ga about some transit.

Mainly, it involves money.
quote:

As the project proceeds, a detailed funding plan for capital, operating and maintenance costs will be established. Generally, FTA New Starts Program funds pay 50% to 60% of the construction costs with the balance coming from other Federal, state and local funding and private funds.

The newspaper article conveniently left out mention of state and local funding in its puff-piece reporting of the event earlier this week. For those, it included private donations and foundation support--a bit of a leap (of faith?) from the DTOGS reporting. It's quite possible that the reporters simply ran that story from redacted DTOGS reports. State and local funding could be deal breakers,considering the state and local economies, even without any possible recession.

Furthermore, the expected $371 million initial cost estimate is expected to be fine tuned before any Federal approval is granted. BTW, the FTA considers a 20% cost overrun to be OK. So, keep that in mind when future cost estimates are issued.

Don't be shocked if something like $450 million is the revised cost estimate, and it could likely go considerably higher once the project starts. That usually happens, notwithstanding DDC's assurances that it won't happen--because actual evidence of rapid-transit cost-overruns doesn't bear him out in that regard.

Greatlakes

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While others like to dismiss your "pessimism," LY, I appreciate your candor.