Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Digg Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Timeless
Username: Timeless

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone. I work with 313rd.com, and was hoping to collect some feedback from you all. We are putting together a fun campaign called "Digg Detroit" that will encourage people to Digg an article we have written to highlight all that is good about Detroit. We're hoping the campaign can gather enough support to earn some attention either locally or nationally.

The link below is not currently being promoted on the site, as we're still tightening the page up. So please do NOT digg, or pass the link to others just yet.

We're just looking for some feedback, and maybe some preliminary contribution from some forumers before we do a press release.

Thanks so much.

http://313rd.com/third-word/re ad/digg-detroit

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to burst your bubble, but everyone knows that DetroitYES.com is the best website on Detroit. Good luck though!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea and hope it works. So sad that none of the wonderful things happening have anything like the prurient appeal of the 'sext' messages. Pagergate, indeed!

People just love a good old train wreck. What great positive thing caps a train wreck? When we figure that out, we will get a better handle on this.

How about some human stories, the names behind the positives, maybe highlighting some special exhibits or shows, research projects at the schools. I know LTU in Southfield gets good press with some of their projects. Showcase some of the unique retail places and cool ethnic destinations, too. We have to put a human face on this to get behind the mask of disaster that keeps popping in front of everything.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3231
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else click this link thinking it was about the prominent Diggs family of Detroit?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Department of redundancy department?

Timeless

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gazhekwe. If you have any specific commentary you suggest we add to the list, please pass it on via this forum, or email us at info[at]313rd.com. We agree that a human touch would be a good addition to the list...

Timeless

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone, the Digg Detroit campaign was launched on 313rd.com today, and we'd appreciate you showing support by digging the article.

If you're not a fan of the idea...Digg anyway.

http://313rd.com/third-word/re ad/digg-detroit

Thanks!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too think of Charles Diggs and the Diggs funeral home.

I assume you folks are trying to be all funkified with the spelling of digg, but your funkification makes me think of embalming fluid and kickback schemes.

Is there a reason for the name?

why the two names? 313rd and digg? and why would someone want to register? Hate to be dense, but what are the benefits to joining your 313rd/digg?

(Message edited by gnome on May 09, 2008)

Timeless

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, the reason for the name "digg", is because that is the name of the social media site we are using as a promotional vehicle for the positive things going on in Detroit.

Social media has risen to become one of the most powerful marketing tools. According to 'Advertising Age', 8% of marketers have yet to use social media, but over 78% are realize they need to start using it.

Digg is one of those website that has received an unheard amount of traction. "Everything on Digg — from news to videos to images to Podcasts — is submitted by our community (that would be you). Once something is submitted, other people see it and Digg what they like best. If your submission rocks and receives enough Diggs, it is promoted to the front page for the millions of our visitors to see." (digg.com)

By employing "digg detroit", we are trying to solicit support from the creative community Detroit has recently been touting. Yes, it requires an account creation process that takes no more than 2 minutes, but the returns can be very big. Articles dugg up on digg get attention from millions of users from around the world.

To be dugg on the front page of digg, will suggest that Detroit is a) creative, and b) alive. Since Digg is read daily by many influential people and businesses throughout the world including PE shops, Venture Capital funds, etc, we think that this would be a great way to change any negative sentiments that may have towards Detroit.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6580
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Gnome, keep up with the times! Everybody knows about Digg. Do you Digg it? How many people Digg it? What do your friends Digg! Digg this!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodness, the stuff you learn when you're stupid enough to ask questions. Thanx for knocking the scale from my eyes.

Forgive me for thinking about embalming fluid.

Not too sure about the digg benefit, but that must just be the luddite in me speaking, I have an aversion to social networking sites like facebook and myspace. However, I do want to thank you for educating me, I'll try not to sleep in class anymore.

(Message edited by gnome on May 09, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.