Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Architecture A hidden gem « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Savedetroitarchitecture
Username: Savedetroitarchitecture

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited Detroit twice since December. The Fisher & Guardian buildings were architectural
marvels. I was disappointed to see the Michigan
Central Station so abused and neglected. It's
difficult to understand why people took it upon
themselves to engage in the disgusting act of
"tagging up" It's painfully obvious these individuals are cultureless and think they are legends in their own minds by putting such
slop on the walls. Also, the current owner of
the train station has no excuse for lack of proper fencing. It's deplorable that such an important part of Detroit's history is fading away. As for individuals who say "tear it down"
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and let
people assume you are intelligent than to infiltrate society with your negative views. It
is when you post your comment and disregard
important history, that people get the overt
impression of your lack of culture or knowledge
of architectural history. To anyone who is part
of a grassroots group, I would welcome your comments.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Several years ago I visited a small city in Europe and it looked like every building that was ever built in that city was still standing, occupied and in perfect condition. Some were 500 years old. But here, it's all about "NEW"; "old" is equated with "ugly". If we could only teach people what Beauty is. I think it's mostly a matter of how people are raised. If parents instill values in their children, they carry those values into adulthood. And if children are raised by Hollywood, they think it's cool to watch things blow up.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4702
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a ton of marvels left, and even some streets that are still quite intact, but the extent to which we've lost buildings is alarming. I'm sure you noticed all the parking lots downtown. I agree with Retroit on the need to educate people so that they appreciate what we have.

What other buildings did you like, Savedetroit?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.preservationwayne.org

Upcoming event May, 22nd at the Detroit Boat Club.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Join the club Save. We're all a little sick and tired at the lack of vision and leadership around here. It's like the blind leading those that can kinda see.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats why i plan on being an Architect once i am finished with school. I plan on designing buildings, whether be it commercial or residential but i love the intricate details you see in Detroit. I really dont like the bland looking office buildings you see in the suburbs.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, bud, architecture these days IS that bland stuff you see in the suburbs. Classical architecture is unquestionably more beautiful, but it's too expensive to build anymore, and impractical to boot. If you're going to make an attempt at classical architecture styling like that dominating the skyline of Detroit, you're probably going to end up a starving artist. Function over form, that's the general vibe I get when I look around everything going up in Chicago, and elsewhere. If the building has to serve a purpose of a box with big windows, it's probably going to be a box with windows, 9 times out of.... well, every time.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say that I enjoy the graffiti. On an old abandoned wreck like the Central, its an improvement as far as Im concerned

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because one person fails to take care of their property doesn't give everyone else a right to have "urban excursions" (trespassing), "art exhibitions" (vandalism), or "natural resource recycling" (scrapping).

Django

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I enjoy the "vandalism" and I love "TRESSPASSING" as long as there wide open and unattended. Ive loved splunking Detroits underbelly. I dont even mind some "scrapping" to some extent. When a building is being naturally torn down by ghetto palm and weather, whats the sense of trying to save it. The scrappers are in effect doing a favor by removing the hulk of waste that some ppl, maybe yourself included, would call it an eyesore. Dont get me wrong, I know scrappers, most of them unfortunately have no code. But there are scrappers out there who do have morals and respect for this city. I will admit they are few and far between.

(Message edited by django on April 29, 2008)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, I hope you have seen the movie "The Fountainhead". Or read the book.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django wrote, "There are scrappers out there who do have morals and respect for this city."

Just how the hell do they have morals and respect for the city when they're illegally tearing it apart?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

............and participating in an underground economy which does not pay taxes, which could among other things fund police patrols, prison cells, maybe even rehab programs.

No end in sight

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 838
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

be careful not to overly confuse urban explorers with vandals and graf artists. A true urban explorer breaks nothing to enter a building, and takes only pictures, or junk found on the ground (such as an old flyer.)

If one has to break in to enter a building, or breaks things inside that building, or paints inside the building, that is vandalism my friend.

a true urban explorer appreciates the magnificence of these buildings and in many cases appreciates the opportunity to study these hidden gems. One example, if it were not for the NUMEROUS pictures of the inside of the train station, would there be such a call for saving it? I think most of the people who took pictures were doing no damage to the building. Afterall, if you're going to do something REALLY wrong the last thing you want on hand is a camera.

(Message edited by andylinn on May 01, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, Look, I realize there far and few between scrappers who "have morals" Some of these building are going to be and absolutely need to be taken down, I have no problem with these scrappers. I live right around the corner from the Packard, that place needs to go. Its a beautiful building, Ive been through it countless times, but I dont believe theres any saving that structure. Its already falling in on itself. Go climb to the top of the SW structure. Of course you wont do that cause you would be trespassing. I hear where your commin from, I love exploring these building but some of them just have to go. Ill now wait for my demise on this site, LOL

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding trespassing...that's an inherent risk; you know that going in if you don't have permission. I'll admit I love the adrenalin rush from it.

You could also get killed, though. Does the name 'Richard Nickel' ring a bell with anyone? He's my hero and a great Polish-American.

Take pictures if you want, (that's what I do) but leave a building the just way you found it.

It should be like your campsite out in the woods. Not even a forensic team should know you were there.

To add to any destructiveness makes a person a big part of the many problems we face. It also says a lot about the character of that person.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.