Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Converting 35 mm negs/slides to digital. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many 1970's shots of Detroit architecture on 2-1/4 and 35 mm negatives, as well as Kodachrome slides. I would like to convert these to digital so I can share them online, but don't want to buy equipment. Are there any local services that will do a good job at a reasonable price?

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Meijers that still do film processing can make you a CD directly from your 35mm negatives. I still shoot film and rather than have a scanner to scan the prints, I just get a photo CD made from the negatives and they turn out pretty sharp.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 467
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can buy one of these slides and negatives to digital converters for $129.95 and do it yourself:

http://www.brookstone.com/stor e/product.asp?product_code=582 544&search_type=search&search_ words=slides&prodtemp=t2&cm_re =Result*R1C1*T

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

take them to woodward camera in birmingham.
http://www.woodwardcamera.com/

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy a Slide/Negatives convertor; use it VERY quickly, then return the electronics to the store within their X-day return policy.

Bobceng

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I like Detroitpetanque's idea. Shows the Spirit of Detroit at it's entrepreneurial best during these hard times. However, would have to wear clean cotton gloves and be careful not to drool on the equipment as I began to see these images digitized!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok ... I see now ... the jig is up:

U R converting "amateur photography". The kind that Bob Crane was into.

Bobceng

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but when I post these, I will challenge DY posters to guess what the building in the background, behind her, is.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.robertpence.com/fil mscan.html

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased one of these (Dimage Scan Dual IV) about 2 years ago.
It came with holders for 35mm film and mounted slides. It can scan up to 3200 dpi (which is way overkill). Cost me about $200.
The software that comes with it is does a nice job with the image processing. Scanning in batch mode takes about 10 min for a roll of 24 exp. In addition to the included software, I use Neat Image to filter out grain (higher film speed = more grain)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can be tricky to get good results from scanned Kodachrome, because of its high contrast. I think there are other factors as well.

(Message edited by Burnsie on April 28, 2008)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you do is pop the negative into the floppy diskette drive. The computer does the rest. ;)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a flyer in the mail a few days ago from Bed,Bath, and Beyond.
Slide and negative converter for for $99.99 (NOT $100!). USB, software, etc. and a $5 off coupon on the back of the flyer.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume you would find that in the "Beyond" section?

Bigb23

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's waterproof for use in the shower. :-)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine doubles as a soapdish

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobceng, after you find the time to convert those slides, please share them here for us to enjoy. We would love to see them!

Bobceng

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all for the input! As soon as I weigh the options and compare transfer quality, I will convert these to digital, and place them exclusively on this site. Most of these places are long-gone, but all are in Detroit.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Foto 1 Imaging in Ann Arbor for transferring slides.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow, I like Detroitpetanque's idea. Shows the Spirit of Detroit at it's entrepreneurial best during these hard times.

Using that philosophy, so is scrapping.

Bobceng

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds: I don't know if the "Dds" means you are a dentist. If so, Get me your business card. I prefer a dentist with no sense of humor; otherwise, they might laugh and slip with the drill at a critical moment.

My comment was strictly "tongue in cheek" (no dental puns intended) and in no way condoned either retail fraud or by extension, scrapping. We had the aluminum side porch hood stolen off our house a year ago, and did not find it at all humorous.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm considering using this service http://www.scancafe.com/

Bobceng

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks77: Just checked scancafe.com. Sounds like a great deal; how serious are you about trying them?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My comment was strictly "tongue in cheek"

I take it you're the only one allowed to be "tongue in cheek" on this thread, then? Sorry. I didn't know. Carry on.

Bobceng

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds: if your comment did not mean to imply I somehow condoned scrapping and I misunderstood, please accept my apologies.

I just checked with Lowell, and it appears that I do NOT possess a site monopoly on "tongue in cheek", as previously thought. My mistake.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobceng: I'm serious. I like the convenience and options, the price is reasonable, and it has some good endorsements. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 514
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobceng, can you contact me at rjlj at hotmail.com please ?

Bigb23

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article online today.

http://www.popgadget.net/2008/ 05/the_photograph.php

"I have a box that moves with me to every apartment never getting smaller, it holds all my old print photos and a few albums. I get very romantic over this box, because so much of my past is tucked away inside. But, I find myself increasingly worried about losing even a single item or damaging a precious photograph. I also find myself taking photos of my photos to share with friends (as you can see here).

Hammacher Schlemmers Photograph To Digital Picture Converter efficiently converts photographs into digital images faster than a conventional scanner. I'm giving it the mom-safe seal, meaning that if my mom can use it so can anyone!

Photographs are placed into a tray that slides into the converter, you just press the button and the image is recorded. The entire image is captured with a 5MP CMOS sensor (just like in your own camera).

This device currently works soley with PCs, so I'm out of luck, but I like the concept and the functionality, so I'm keeping my eyes open for a similar Mac-friendly device."

Price: $149.95 at www.hammacherschlemmer.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.