Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Edsel and Eleanor Ford « Previous Next »
Archive through April 29, 2008Gnome30 04-29-08  2:58 pm
Archive through April 30, 200856packman30 04-30-08  1:33 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx cystal, never have been able to keep that straight

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad was a writer. When my brothers and I were growing up, Dad gave us pop spelling tests and made us diagram sentences.

I can still hear Dad yelling, "The verb, to be, never takes an object!"

Dad might have overdone it, but I wish they taught grammar in schools these days. Our boys (17, 20, and 20) did not learn grammar in any of their English classes. I think they call it whole language these days.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

diagramming sentences when you were a kid? youch. i had trouble doing that in college. fun tho. i take it your dad was a fan of chomsky? [but i agree with you and your dad; grammer is very important and is lacking in primary education today.]

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6743
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matilda Dodge Wilson (nee Rausch) was John Dodge's secretary, before she was his wife.

Surprisingly Matilda was John's 3rd wife. His first (3 children) died of tuberculosis. His second marriage lasted all of 2 years and ended in divorce (childless), and with Matilda he had 3 more children.

It wasn't just Matilda that was shunned by Grosse Pointe society. John Dodge had a temper and often exhibited crude behaviour... which made him unpopular with the Grosse Pointe crowd as well.

Jjaba, you got your years wrong on the Ford deaths. Edsel died in 1943, and Henry I died in 1948.

Quinn, the reason that the Ford House is not like the great mansions in Newport is (like the tour guides will tell you) that Edsel and Eleanor wanted a liveable house, not a palace. The grand palatial rooms of many of the larger Newport houses (as well as most of the larger palaces of Europe) lack intimacy and warmth. Even the largest of the Ford House rooms, the Gallery feels liveable and on a more human scale.

Bratt, you said that you may know me. I'd post a pic here (since I'm already outted due to my LEGO connections and website)... but if I do post a pic, that other evil forum is notorious for taking peoples pics and posting them as their avatars. Are you one of the docents at the Ford House? The only docent I know and always ask for is that shorter lady with the buggy eyes, who is so funny when taking tour groups thru. She loves entertaining the German groups I bring to the house.

Last year there was a minor scandal with one of our groups. Unbeknownst to me, the local German club included beer with the box lunches for the busload of Germans (lunch was under the tent at the visitors center). I didn't know until it was too late. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought into or sold at the Ford House... because Grosse Pointe Shores has only 1 liquor license... at the GP Yacht Club.

(Message edited by Gistok on April 30, 2008)

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Edsel died in 1943, and Henry I died in 1948."

Actually, old Henry died at Fairlane in April 1947.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6428
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the facts. Ignore previous assertions.

Henry Ford: Born July 30, 1863. Died April 7, 1947.

Clara Jane Ford: Henry's wife. Born April 11, 1866. Died Sept. 29, 1950. Married April 11, 1888.

They are buried at Ford Cemetery, 15801 Joy Rd. Detroit 48228 Michigan. (313-273-9632)

Edsel Bryant Ford: Born Nov. 11, 1893. Died May 26, 1943.

jjaba.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 746
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Gistok I am not a Docent.

How long have you been doing the German Tours?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edsel Ford was named after Henry's best friend from elementary (?) school - Edsel Ruddiman.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall seeing Mrs. Ford's Continental limo parked outside of a child developement study program/building that she sponsored in the early 60's...but I can't remember the name of the program...does anyone know what it was?

The Edsel Fords were a class act with their artistic and cultural contributions to Detroit. I caddied for their son, William Clay, one time at the CCD...he was a real gentleman and a great tipper...a tribute to his parents.

(Message edited by GoBlue on April 30, 2008)

Gistok

Post Number: 6744
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, I do the tours for Carpathia Club of Sterling Heights. Whenever they have a folkdance group or brass band visiting from Germany, they call me and I join their tour bus on a tour of an itinerary that I come up with.

I stick to a winning gameplan...

1) Ford House & lunch.
2) Drive down Lakeshore Dr.
3) Drive around Belle Isle.
4) Stop at Guardian Building to visit lobby & stores.
5) Take a People Mover ride around the loop starting at the Financial Center Station.
6) When we get off back at the Financial Center, I have them go to the end of the platform overlooking the One Woodward Ave. Bldg. (former MichCon Building) and go thru the history of Detroit area architect Minuru Yamasaki and his Detroit "prototype" for the World Trade Center.
7) If there's time (and it's a weekday), I also set up a private (self guided) tour of the Fox Theatre, and a photo-op in front of one of the Comerica Park tiger statues.

Whenever I do these tours, the Germans absolutely love the Ford House and Lakeshore Dr., but they are absolutely awestruck with the Guardian Building and Fox Theatre. Also, they are blown away by the World Trade Center tie-in to Detroit.

The first time I gave this tour to a group from Germany back in 2002, later hosts in other cities (Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Chicago) were dumbfounded and ask the Detroit German club folks... "What did you guys do to these people? All they ever talk about is how wonderful Detroit is!" :-)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--The next time you conduct a tour of the Estate with your German friends, tell them, per my post above, that the Gaukler family who sold the property to Henry Ford, came over from Neustadt, Germany in 1845. So the Estate has traditional Germanic roots.
And it's high time you did a Lego replica of the Mansion, too!
Aufedersein!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6432
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. And here we all thought they were all French ribbon farms. When the Germans arrived with their sausages and beer, the French probably were yelling "there goes the neighborhood."

jjaba, now that's a piece of property.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When the Germans arrived with their sausages and beer, the French probably were yelling "there goes the neighborhood."

When the Germans arrive, the French usually say, "We surrender.".

Jjaba

Post Number: 6434
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, so true in various periods of history.
jjaba.

Gistok

Post Number: 6745
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock... saying that someone is from Neustadt (New City) in Germany is like saying that someone is from Salem USA. There are many of both!

There are 4 Neustadt's that I can think of off the top of my head, and each one has a location identifier as part of its' name:

Neustadt an der Weinstrasse
Neustadt an der Aisch
Neustadt bei Coburg
Wiener Neustadt

Unlike the USA where the identifier is a state name, in Germany duplicate named cities are usually identified either by the river they are near or what larger city they are near. (Although "weinstrasse" translates to "wine road".)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This pretty much says it all:

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist
threats and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved."
Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or
even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the
blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists themselves
have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The
last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was
during the great fire of 1666.

Also, the French government announced yesterday that it has raised its
terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in
France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a
recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively
paralyzing the country's military capability.

It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of
alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and
Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain:
"Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance"
to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher
levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual, and the only
threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy.
These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish
navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 packman, that is one of the funniest things I have read. Is it yours or from another source?

The_rock

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the history/geography lesson gistok.
Digging through the basement archives, the best I can find indicates some info from a long-deceased aunt which says "N.E. of Straussberg--110 miles South of Frankfort". Does that help?

If not, just tell your friends, that Henry did not have the necessary class, good looks, moral fiber, and /or other positive virtues to set up residence on the East Side, so he moved over to the West Side where those things didn't count.
They say that Henry Ford was rather cheap, so I doubt jjaba or Ray36 got very good tips when they hawked their Detroit Times.

Gistok

Post Number: 6746
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks The_rock... that would be "Neustadt an der Weinstrasse", which is in the heart of Germany's Rhine wine region known as the Pfalz. It's a few miles west of the Rhine river.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch--no I did a "non-detroit issues" style post on that one, cut 'n paste a forwarded email.
That doesn't change the fact that it's funny!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6435
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Canarsie, deep in Brooklyn in Wartime, some Italian guy yelled to his buddy,
"Is that a U-Boat?" Answer:
("Not-a-mine, I justa look.")

56packman, jjaba loved the Spanish submarine.
Now that be humor!

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford, with a proper Westside burial, was dead before jjaba hawked the Detroit Times. jjaba thought Tipper was Al Gore's wife.

jjaba, folding his route on Grand River Ave.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that gag about the Polish submarine? The one with a screen door? :-)

The_rock

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danka Shen, Her Gistok. I will add your information to the family archives.
I now plan to use my remaining legal skills to do a title check and trace the warranty deed between Henry and Great-Great Aunt Josephine. Should there be a title- flaw,and/or lack of legal consideration on the transfer, even a slight imperfection, I will commence litigation in the appropriate court to quiet title so as to have the property returned to me as counsel for the Gauklers. Then we will once again own the whole Estate, Ford House and acreage,including Ford Cove where boaters have always engaged in hanky-pank,and which family members have always called "Gaukler Cove".
And you, Her Gistok, will be devised 22 acres for your efforts. Sehr gut!

Gistok

Post Number: 6748
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually The_rock, my fathers ancestors came from Neustadt an der Weinstrasse. Circa 1730 they moved to newly unoccupied (Turkish expulsion) Austro-Hungarian lands in the lower Danube region, and in 1944 migrated (ahead of the advancing Soviets in WWII) back to Germany and on to America in 1958.

So we could be distantly related... 22 acres wow! :-)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He lied about being laid without lying down." -English is a peculiar language!

Henry Ford wasn't happy about his son living in Grosse Pointe. From "The Peoples Tycoon" by Steven Watts:

"Henry grew irate about Edsel's choice of friends... [& Edsel] moving about easily among the fashionable and wealthy in Grosse Pointe rather than the farm and village folk of Dearborn...Henry Ford's class resentment found a target in his own son."

The_rock

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok---Hello cousin!! I will also toast you with a glass of wine, although I must admit I prefer Schloss Vollrads from the Mosel area over the Pflaz wines.

Retroit--Even back then, there were West siders jealous of those of us on the East side. Old Henry was no exception.

jjaba- Yes, a few of the Fords were buried through the Hamilton Funeral Home. However, Verheyden Funeral Home in GPF buried both Benson and Josephine Ford. When they go to their rewards, William Clay and Edsel will both demand the usual impeccable service that Verheyden offers. YHIHF.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Benson Ford's daughter, Lynn,married into the family that runs the Verheyden business-I don't think her last name is "Verheyden" however.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn, Lynn was married to Paul Alandt (still is, I think). He owns a couple of auto dealerships (Ford and L-M of course) and I think he once ran the Eleanor Ford estate). I don't think he had anything to do with Verheyden.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2833
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn's married name is Alandt; husband is Paul. I believe Paul joined his dad Clayton Alandt who worked at Verheyden's for years, but it looks like Paul is no longer with Verheyden, per their staff page at: http://www.verheyden.org/about /staff.html

This link to a Ford Forums page outlines the Ford Family as covered in a lengthy Detroit News article a couple years back: http://www.fordforums.com/f349 /ford-family-keeps-dynasty-ali ve-through-five-generations-39 450/

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a linguist, and I believe he once told me Edsel was the German form of the name Attila.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Googled "Edsel". One site states that it is derived from the German word "etzel" = noble.

It also reported that Edsel currently rates "0" on a list of favorite names.

Any German speakers here to confirm the above?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6437
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eleanor Clay Ford and husband, Edsel Ford are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Detroit. Henry Ford II was cremated.

jjaba.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: The "old man's" distain for Grosse Pointe must have stuck with Edsel; while they may have resided in GP in life, by God, they were going to spend the afterlife on the Westside of Detroit!

Gistok

Post Number: 6755
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know of a single Edsel in the German community here or of any acquaintances in Germany.

Edsel is too close to "Esel", which means "donkey" in German.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6439
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Gistok refer to the Edsel car or the Edsel name? There's gotta be atleast one Edsel in Germany.

jjaba.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of that name in germany, although it is mentioned in early german american documents. However the name and the car are as different as the Cadillac, the french noble and the car on the road today.
jjaba, do you remember the sweet and sour cabbages at Boesky's. I know i am breaking from the thread, but while duscussing yes detroit with a group of friends who have lived in detroit since the 1960's. We would love to have their reciepe if it;s around.

pkbroch:pw history

Jjaba

Post Number: 6441
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting to Jewish Delis on a Henry Ford thread is impossible. Writer's block, but yes we remember Boesky's.

jjaba, cruising 12th St.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford have an unobtrusive marker on the way to my GGG-father's mausoleum across from the Dodge's. GGG-uncle's mausoleum is a few streets SE. I get lost there.

Editted to add... GGGG-grandfather is there from 1792.

(Message edited by jrvass on May 04, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.