Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Corktown Restaurants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone

My wife and I get around to quite a few restaurants in Detroit, but we almost never go to Corktown. Been to Slows a bunch of times. Question is, where would you recommend we take some semi reluctant suburbanites who want to Corktown for dinner??

Thanks for any help!

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baile Corcaigh on the corner of Bagley and Trumbull.

Dan

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A little off the beaten path in the heart of the historic district, diners at the Baile Corcaigh on Bagley savor their warm Irish soda bread, sitting among the tables dressed in white linen, the handcrafted stone fireplace, shiny glasses and dark wood furnishings, while waiting for their crab cakes and steaks in whiskey sauce. The Baile Corcaigh (the Gaelic name translates to “town of Cork,” and feel free to call it by its Anglicized version, “Bally Cork”) also opened last year. It serves dressed-up pub fare — the kind of well-prepared, inspired, fresh takes on classic dishes that has become de rigueur at trendy, upscale UK pubs. So along with your bangers and mash you can try a salad of crisp mixed spring greens tossed with Irish blue cheese, or start with crepes filled with a dreamily rich mushroom and spinach mixture."

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/corkvisit.aspx

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to forumer pmardo, they have a special on wednesdays... Free chips (fries) and $1 off pints for happy hour... sounds like I need to go...

Also, don't forget Mudgies... (in the old Eph Mcnally's)

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

baile corcaigh: the most beautiful pub with drop ceilings in corktown.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took my family to Baile Corcaigh a couple weeks ago and everyone had a great time... as usual. However, I noticed a lot more cars in the lot than people upstairs. Is there a bar downstairs? I thought I heard some bar-sounding activity down there.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they usually use the room downstairs for special events. Their web page says they have an Irish book club there once a month.

(Message edited by BearInABox on April 29, 2008)

Dan

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drop ceilings or no, the place is really good.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11571
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget a burger and chips at Nemos. I don't know about the food at Hoots.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very funny Wood. Funny because it's true. With all the Wexford Cream Ale I've purchased there they should have just about enough $ to refurbish the original tin ceiling.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4441
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for all the help, couple of pre dinner beers/cocktails at Nemo's, dinner at Baile's

I'll let you know what my reluctant guests think

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.