Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Michigan may get VW plant » Archive through April 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0424/REG/44435544/1069

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they do build here so I can yell: WHAT YOU DRIVE DRIVES MICHIGAN.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I once was pulled at the side of the road, putting away my jack and the flat tire. A car pulled along side of me, he yelled I wouldn't have been stranded if I drove an American car.
??? He drove a Crown Vic, made in Canada. I was driving a Rabbit, made in Pennsylvania (at that time) And Fords don't get flat tires?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12547
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hatred never seems to get flat tires, nor pulled over for boneheaded moves in rush hour.

Got a client up in Fenton who used to be the head troubleshooter in VWs short-lived Pennsylvania plant, I owned three vehicles built there and loved them all. (78-84?)

I wish I had one of those original GTIs back in my shed, actually, it was easily one of the finest vehicles I've ever owned...great driver response, easy to maintain and shade-tree repair, efficient and fun as heck.

Sony later turned that plant into the last American-made television assembly joint...with Corning's helluva glass plant across the street making picture tubes, it was quite an operation.

All of my friends who bought televisions then own American-made Sony's! Those vintage CRT sets still remain at the top of my favorites list.

If VW can remember their roots and make a people's car on our shores...easily home repairable, small, quirky, cheap...their sales would skyrocket. If ONLY they would build a citycar for the US...

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they decide to come here and choose Detroit! God knows the area needs the jobs, and the infastructure is there.

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they come here too. I don't think they will though. No foreign auto maker has had a plant here, maybe their scared of the unions here.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guarantee they go to a right to work state.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4678
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will choose Alabama. It would be an absolute gift if MI got it, and it would be because their product is superior and they know what they build here will sell (unlike the Big 3), and because they will have won a good deal with the unions. I would love to see it because of the jobs, and to give another example to the buy American camp of how blurry the lines are these days, and how their rhetoric is senseless blather.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11547
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if VW execs will stop by American Axle. That will make their decision about Michigan a little too easy.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5346
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, what are the advantages for them to build it here?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6399
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Invoking Skipper's rules. The article says nothing, explains no locations, and is basically a pipe dream. Believe it when you see it.

What the DID say was that VW moved FROM Detroit to Va. Maybe they can't get good brats over there and are jonesing for a Detroit Coney Island.

jjaba.

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan does get this plant, it will most likely go on the west side of the state. Unions are not as much of an influence over there as they are in Detroit.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UAW strike at American Axle is turning them off, don't count on seeing this plant here.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VW is no stranger to unions. But, I doubt Michigan is a contender in this race.

(Message edited by sharmaal on April 24, 2008)

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VW did once build a plant in Sterling Heights. Ended up bailing from that project and selling the plant to Chrysler.

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a foriegn car co. plant in MI. Mazda has a plant in Flat Rock.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5947
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, VW is especially familiar with unions. Hell, they are headquartered in Germany.

Anyway, I doubt they will move the plant, here. It wouldn't make sense for them to move their American headquarters south, but then choose to build a plant up here. I think the only reason Michigan is listed as a contender is because Granholm has been trying like hell to get foreign auto companies to invest in Michigan, and with limited success, thus far.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was VW's old plant in Westmoreland, PA union or not? I would assume not, but I don't know, and I figger maybe someone here does.

I didn't know that SHAP was originally construected by VW??

Flat Rock is a joint venture, with the Mazda 6 built in one area and the Mustang in another.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4685
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mazda is owned by Ford. Not a joint venture in a real, economic sense. Yes, two seperate types of vehicle are made here, but it's just like jeeps [or is it just their engines] and vipers being made at Jefferson North in Detroit.

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very unlikely VW would build an assembly plant in Michigan now, with even the HQ relocated.
Chattanooga TN has bid recently for Hyundai,Kia,Toyota plants, etc.Hamilton county and city Chattanooga took ownership of the closed Army base.They annexed the property into city limits,then turned it into an Industrial Park but have not allowed 'small players' to build plants there.
Couple years ago they even added a new exit and overpass from I-75 which goes nowhere- until they get a big factory built in that Industrial Park.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5347
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they are having their Routan minivan built in Windsor by Chrysler. I can see their fear of unions, but Michigan has so much more to offer as far as research and development. If I were scouting for a site, I would take into consideration the amount of local research and support. I’d also look at the quality and education of the workforce. The Nissan plant in Mississippi had to create illustrative instructions created because most of workers were too stupid to comprehend written instructions.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6400
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick tells it like it tis. Mississippi has been #50 of 50 in education forever.

jjaba.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These companies are not going to build an assy plant in Michigan period. They will put engineering/technical centers here but not assy plants. When that place was known as Mazda Motor Mfg NA the union whipped the company so bad the parent company ended up bringing the president back to Japan. The other Japanese companies saw what happened. That's why you haven't seen any foreign auto assy plants in Michigan.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why start a foreign car assembly plant now...how many have slipped through our fingers through the past few years? This deal is not going to happen in Michigan. I think we missed the boat on 6 or 7 or so new plants...why start now?

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford leases the plant from Mazda, The Mazda 6 and the Mustang come down the same line all day.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,
I'd double check that story. The Mississippi plant had a higher percentage of college grads on the line than most plants in the county.

And even if what you say is true, it'd be 1000% smarter to build there than in Michigan.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

Ford has a controlling interest (a minority interest, but enough of one to be effectively controlling under Japanese law) in Mazda, but does not own it in the same sense that it owned, say, Jaguar. Mazda operates largely independent from Ford, at the same time that they share a lot of platform engineering.

Also, the Viper is not built at the Jefferson plant - it is built further north on Conner Ave., between Outer Dr. and 8 Mile.

Patrick,

Why do you think Nissan's workers in MS are stupid?

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UAW Local 2055.....
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f ullpage.html?res=9C06E3DB1139F 932A35752C1A967948260&n=Top/Ne ws/U.S./U.S.%20States,%20Terri tories%20and%20Possessions/Pen nsylvania

I had two of the Pennsylvania UAW-made VWs, and both were incredibly good cars. The 1987 Golf that I bought used was always remembered by the oil change shop as being one of the cleanest engines they had ever seen. The engine was still running strong @ 175,000 miles when there were too many non-powertrain issues for me to fix.

I gave it to a fellow churchgoer in Brightmoor who had it all fixed up and running great in less than a week.

(Message edited by rooms222 on April 25, 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6402
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's plenty of successful automotive production in the South. Fords in Atlanta, GM in Arlington, Texas come to mind.

jjaba.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6720
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thoswolfe, VW never actually built a plant in Sterling Heights. The plant in Sterling Heights used to be a missile plant that VW purchased but never ended up using. That's when they sold it to Chrysler.