Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Monica Conyers battles school children « Previous Next »
Archive through April 29, 2008Kid_dynamite30 04-29-08  1:31 pm
Archive through April 29, 2008Detroitfats30 04-29-08  8:38 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It cracks me up when those ppl who so often demand respect, or who are just in the heat of battle say something that they think sounds "good" then repeat it over and over to hear themselves say it again. "shreck, SHRECK" she really thought that was something at that moment.
Yeah I think I might have spelled Shreck wrong, so I spelled shreck wrong, DAMN RIGHT I SPELLED SHRECK WRONG, I MEANT TO SPELL SHRECK WRONG, SHHRRREEEECCCCCKKKKKK.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jcole is right. I've noticed that people who loudly demand respect rarely give it.

Or get it.

Similar to another nugget of wisdom: the loudest talkers have the least to say. Nothing of any importance is discussed with your "outside voice."

(Message edited by focusonthed on April 29, 2008)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5977
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was absolutely priceless. Conyer's was owned by some children. "But, we're kids" is the best line of the whole thing, and put everything in perspective.

Django

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parents of Lil girl should be proud as hell. I hope their readin up on this here. Or her teacher.
Fine Job Lil Girl.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 had a followup interview with Kierra Bell

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/16066427/detail.html

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you who are so quick to generalize about DPS, these students are a reminder that there are good schools and good students in Detroit. They are obviously doing something right at Courtis Elementary.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Courtis was/is one of the schools that has been fighting closure by DPS. Hope this helps them.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni, I don't think being critical of the dysfunctional school system is the same thing as making generalizations about the quality of DPS students.

That said, when people stage media events, chances are they're not going to pick a kid on the verge of dropping out with a rap sheet and a drug habit. I have no doubt that Ms. Bell was hand-picked because she's bright.

In other words, generalizations based on Ms. Bell would be equally faulty.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the end of the Video, Mr. Leduff promises that today he would present an interview with Ms. Conyers. I can't find it.

Was the Leduff interview suppressed by the DetNews editorial board? Baseless rumor I know, but Kwame has me seeing conspiracies everywhere.

(Message edited by gnome on April 30, 2008)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on the detnews.com right now. He gave her a few comedic chances to say that she was sorry, and she said no. Watch the reenactment at the end. Funny funny funny stuff here

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Priceless!

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is wearing the same shirt she had on at the interview with the schoolgirls yesterday. What is going on? Was this done yesterday?

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's here: http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/multimedia/index.cfm

"Are you concerned some voters might consider you a nut? If you were a nut, what kind of nut would you be?"

Ha!

Gnome

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx for the link, I had a real tough time finding it on DetNews.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

clickondetroit.com has an interview with Miss Bell

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who does that little 8th grader think she is?

You can't talk to Monica C. like that!

LOL

What a DUMBBASS!

M.C. was about to lose her cool..... (Wonder what inappropriate name she was thinking of calling the 8th grader?)

<313>

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Some times you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't." Notice that MC seems to take offense to him liking peanuts - as though she though he was dis-respecting George Washington Carver.

The more I see, the more I'm almost embarrassed to say I'm from Detroit.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leduff did her a favor.
She actually comes across as a likable person.
Still dumb, but at least likable.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that video was hilarious and yet sad.

what leadership.

I am more convinced now that voters like to vote for versions of themselves who just so happen to have college degrees

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Where did Martha Earn any college credits?

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica Conyers, didn't she make the historical "Animation Proclamation"?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can this stuff get any better (worse)?! LeDuff is my hero, now. lol It's sad because Monica doesn't realize that LeDuff is using humor to show how immature she is.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 831
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tis true Vizion...did Martha graduate high school?..I know she started singing when she was a teenager

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn.....this is like Stephen Colbert comes to Detroit! BETTER KNOW A COUNCILWOMAN!! Monica Conyers ... The Combative Conyers!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe "The Clownish Conyers! would have been better.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, Kiera Bell was on the Mildred Gaddis show this morning for a segment. She came off as soft-spoken and very polite. Her parents should be very proud!

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica has obviously gone insane, watch this end of this video where she and Charlie LeDuff re-enact the Shrek fight

http://info.detnews.com/video/ index.cfm?id=2210

main article:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/M ETRO/805010393/1409/METRO

Django

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that on rif this morn,I loved how she at the last minute decided to play KCs role realizing , very quickly, that she could try and manipulate it. Backfire. OOPS.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't she answer the question TRUTHFULLY and say that she thinks Cockrell looks like Shrek? Typical detroit city council personality. No professionalism at all. She might as well use the infamous phrase...Don't you know who the...

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the second video of Monica Conyers being interviewed, then reenacting the Shrek incident. The only conclusion I can come to is that the woman craves attention. The interview and reenactment have no positive purpose for her campaign to redeem herself but instead portray her as pathetic and needy. She can't help but act out to bring attention to herself.

Let's face it. Monica Conyers was elected because of name recognition, her husband's and his family. Now that Detroiters have seen her mercurial behavior, let's see how she makes out in the next general election. It might be better for Kwame to continue on as Mayor and wait for next mayoral election, than to have Cockrel Jr. become Mayor with Conyers as President of the Council.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my aunt went to school with her...she said she's been crazy since forever

the news did some more press on Kierra BTW

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps Monica needs to get on meds like Britney.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps Monica needs to get on meds like Britney.

Plenty of City Council insiders can confirm the real need for this. Meds, however, would only help to solve the anger management issues. Unfortunately, Ms. Conyers' shortcomings as a public servant go far deeper and cannot be resolved through medical treatment.

Gnome

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica was on Mildred Gaddis this morning to refute comments from other callers. Monica took issue with Mildred telling her she couldn't speak over the other callers and also threatened that her lawyer would sue Mildred as Ms. Conyers felt she had been denied access to the airwaves.

Mildred checked her. Monica hung up on Mildred. Good stuff.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am cynical and bitter, but little girl is inspiring. Just like a dream I had one time in which I was riding the bus and everyone on that bus started singing "don't say 'say what?' to the kid". Hopefully these children grow, LIVE, and stay in Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6763
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, I'm gonna have to start listening to Mildred's show... what's the station & what time/day is she on?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that Moronica had one tiny grain of civility still left in her to expend, and invited the children back to present them with "Spirit of Detroit" awards.

http://www.wxyz.com/mediacente r/local.aspx?videoid=11437@wxyz.dayport.com&navCatId=16

Gnome

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok- Milred Gaddis show is on WCHB AM 1200 her show is suppose to start at 6 AM but ... she starts off with some prayer, then there is a Sammy Davis song, then some commercials then a station promo and then Mildred rolls in.

I must say she has the longest commercial breaks of any station I've ever listened to.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave Monica Alone! (weep, sob)

She cant help it that she watches too much Disney!

LEAVE MONICA ALONE!

lol

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you guys are really deprived, aren't you? :-(

SHREK IS NOT DISNEY, IT'S DREAMWORKS!

"The film was extremely successful on release in 2001 and it helped establish DreamWorks as a prime competitor to Walt Disney Pictures in the field of feature film animation, particularly in computer animation. Furthermore, Shrek was made the mascot for the company's animation productions."

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 03, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really can't believe this.

I know that a lot of this political nuttiness is getting some people down. But just think about it guys. We did this well despite that kind of leadership? We held a Super Bowl here under that kind of regime? We have been able to attract new business people even though we sometimes have childish arguments? Imagine whats going to happen when we get some more good politicians and leaders. It will happen!

I don't think we're doing all that bad. We just have to keep it up!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit, look at te even bigger picture.

Under this leadership, crime has remained high (arguably risen higher), the schools are still horrible (possibly worse), the neighborhoods are still horrible (possibly worse), there's still trash everywhere, and the taxes are still outrageously high.

So it seems the negative still out weighs the positive.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and no Detroitrise. All we have to do is take out our trash. I know it's easier said than done, but it makes it obvious where the fight is. You may not believe we can do it, but part of it has already been done. Think of some of these reporters as our scouts who are giving help to the army by getting them this info.

Gnome

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I'm going to act in a unilateral manner and award you the My Little Pony trophy for optimism.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That one was above my head. What is "My Little Pony"? The girly read this and told me it's a toy you must have played with when you where a little girl?

Never heard of it. It really seems like your trying to spit a bunch of venom at me. Why? I'm trying to be nice and civilized here. What are you trying to call me out for? I just don't get why anyone would try and start a random fight.

Edit: Spelling.

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on May 05, 2008)

Gnome

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you've found me out, I used to play with My Little Pony when I was a little girl. My Little Pony is a symbol of a bright shiny future in the face of overwhelming odds.

I'm not trying to spit venom at you, just hoping you'd spend a little more time and make sure your posts make sense. I enjoy reading your thoughts, but lately they are sooo disjointed, and confusing, that they are tremendously difficult to understand.

For example,
quote:

All we have to do is take out our trash. I know it's easier said than done, but it makes it obvious where the fight is. You may not believe we can do it, but part of it has already been done. Think of some of these reporters as our scouts who are giving help to the army by getting them this info.

Do you mean the US Army is going to clean our streets because reporters have written stories about trash? Or do you mean that Kwame and Company are the trash and now it is up to the News Media to remove the sitting government? Or do you mean that the News Media has brought the issue of public corruption to the attention of the voters and now it is up to the voters to clean up City Hall?

Reading posts shouldn't be like solving a Rubik's Cube. Just go easy on the rest of us, please.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, my mistake I guess. I'll make sure to try and spell every post out. I didn't realize I was that hard to understand. The news media's job is to uncover the truth. Some of our politicians are corrupt, and this is the job of the news media to point out to everyone.

It has nothing to do with the US Army and particular organizations. I was being vague for a reason. They are pointing this out to anyone fighting for a change. Some of our politician's true colors have been showing recently, and the media is doing a good job of showing us those moments. That is really what a big part of my point was.

________

As for being an optimist;

Have you ever seen the movie Training Day? There is a scene from that movie in which the main character is presented with a riddle by a drug lord. The story is about this snail who spends weeks trying to get to this porch. When he gets there the owner of the house opens the door and kicks the snail across the lawn, braking his shell. The snail does it again, he spends weeks crossing the lawn just to end up on that same porch. The owner then opens the door again, sees the snail, and says "What the (Expletive) is your problem?"

The main character of the movie decides he has the answer. It's smiles and cries. This answer impresses the drug lord, who now seems more content with his new acquaintance.

That example can be a little confusing, so I'll give one more example/story. Back when I was in High School we had a guest speaker come in who was a very successful Detroit business man. He gave us all these print outs that he said contained the secret to his success. Here's what the sheets read;

:::Attitude:::

Attitude is more important than facts.
It is more important than the past,
than education, than money, than circumstances,
than failures, than successes,
than what other people think, say or do.

It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.
It will make or brake a company...
a church...a home...a person.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day
regarding the attitude we embrace for that day.

We cannot change our past...
we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.
We cannot change the inevitable.

The only thing we can do is play on the one thing we have.
and that is our ATTITUDE!
Life is 10% what happens to you and
90% how you react to it.
You are in charge of your own attitude!

:::End:::

That really says it all my friend.

You see, in the streets that's all you have. That's all you control. In fact, that might be all any of us really have. When you've been through enough hard times, optimism is the one thing that can keep you sane. I don't know how else to explain it. I really just have an odd point of view sometimes. I don't mean to offend anyone with it. You make your own decisions on whether I'm right or wrong. I'm sure some of my views ARE wrong and/or crazy. But why not voice them? I'm offering my point of views into the pot for people to consider. I look at everyone else's contributions here as the same. The more people contribute, the more we have to go by to make our own decisions. Do you see my point?

I've been getting defensive towards Gnome lately. I shouldn't be doing this, and I apologize.

Sorry. No hard feelings?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.