Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Layout of DTW McNamara Terminal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm flying into DTW tomorrow, and have only been to that terminal a handful of times.

Someone is picking me up. How are the outside passenger arrival area(s) laid out? It's a pretty long, straight shot--are the pickup areas sectioned by arriving gate #s, or is it concentrated in one area?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All are concentrated in one area just outside baggage claim. Do you both have cell phones. They now have cell phone waiting lots away from the pickup area. Have them wait there. It will save them gas from not having to repeatedly circle. Call them when you walk up to the baggage claim area.

http://www.metroairport.com/pd f/maps/McNamara_Parking_map.pd f

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The terminal is long, and the pick-up area is also one big long straight-shot. There are numbers along the length of the pick-up area so you can simply tell your friend what number you are standing by -- this has always worked for me.

And welcome back to Detroit! :-)

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know if the baggage claim is circular, or is it one of those twisty, snake like conveyor belts like in the Smith Terminal?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just have them park short term for the $1 an hour in the garage right across the street.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies is right with the cell phone lot, call your ride when you get your bags, or hit the baggage pick-up.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tips. I knew D-Yes would be a "one-stop shop" for this kind of info!

Lilacgirl
Username: Lilacgirl

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think McNamara has the oval baggage claim areas. I've only been inside that terminal once (have to fly into Smith) and I didn't check bags so I only glanced at them for a short second before moving by.

Rob__bob
Username: Rob__bob

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McNamara has the oval baggage claim areas.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you take the subway downtown. It's on level F and only costs $.50 for the trip.

Oh wait...wrong decade. I'm from the future.

Also, technically the baggage returns are rectangular...with rounded edges. But maybe they will be oval in 20 years.

Ahem.

Lilacgirl

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought so. I will be so happy when the new terminal is finished. I hate flying into Smith...

Rob__bob
Username: Rob__bob

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like i "said", McNamara has the rectangular with rounded edges baggage claim areas.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That current shuttle blows when you fly out of smith...but speaking of flying out of smith.

Has anyone flow united recently? I've been trying as much as possible to because of that awesome $15 upgrade for more legroom...seriously it rocks. IT's the best thing in the world...and totally worth that crappy parking and bad terminal.

Rob-bob...I don't know what you're smokin' man. Look at your post. Besides, I'm not sure I've seen any airport with oval baggage returns. Not against it and now all of a sudden I'm thinking they would be pleasant. Hmmm...

Maybe that's what will finally create world peace.

Oh, one last complaint (but kinda funny) story about Smith. I just back through there Saturday. You know how they usually flash that light and sound the alarm before turning the conveyor on? They didn't this time and a bunch of people were sitting on it. Nobody got hurt but it was awesome.

When they tear that building down I'd love to get my hands on some of the marble in the main concourse.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the pool hall they used to have at Smith years ago. We used to go there just to shot pool and watch planes takeoff/land through the huge windows there.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when ever i pick people up i just pull up and wait the sheriff never bothers me. I have sat there for over 30 min before when a friend had his luggage lost

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the tram to the Westin Hotel and exit from there, just have your ride waiting right outside there. Maybe tell them to park a little further back so they are not harassed by the Valet but I find this is the most direct and efficient way to get out of the airport.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually sort of like flying out of Smith, since it has less traffic than McNamara. It can be pretty quick, even if the security lines at McN have been pretty decent in my (limited) experiene. Getting a between Big Blue and McNamara can seriously blow, though - especially late at night.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I live in Chicago and fly United from O'Hare almost exclusively for business, I dearly dearly miss McNamara, and there is nothing wrong with it. It is never "busy" compared to what I have to deal with now, not even on Thanksgiving.

Lilacgirl

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do agree about the security lines at Smith. Even though half the time they see my employee badge and let me cut to the front of the line.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.