Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 7-year-old gets drunk at Comerica Park « Previous Next »
Archive through April 30, 2008Wash_man30 04-30-08  8:29 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7320
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boy's father brought Mike's "HARD" Lemonade drink. Notice the word "HARD" as in an alcoholic beverage in which the father didn't know. So the cops caught the father with the boy possessing the alcoholic beverage, took the boy to foster care for 2 days and released to the parents. The boy's father has learned his lesson.

We have to be careful of buying any products they may contain impurities. Always look at the ingredients before you buy. You never know what poisons are found in those products.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Danny... have you found any poisons in your search before you buy?

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent post #1122 Ray.

I saw this news report the other day and couldn't believe how they handled this situation. Using common sense, if this guy was going to deliberately give his kid alcohol, he wouldn't do it in a marked bottle for all to see. Presumed guilty until proved innocent.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dad can buy me a "Long Island Iced Tea". Heck, I may even be able to remember the recipe if I think, long and hard, back 25 years ago and a stroke... I think the last one I had was in college.

Screw the mind-teaser... Google sez...

1 part vodka
1 part tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Colaź

That is what I remember.

dad... dad???

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I witnessed this same exact accident 2 years ago at a tiger game. We were sitting right behind home plate in the same area as either the players wives or girlfriends for the opposing team. The lady right in front of me bought a mikes hard lemonade though seat service and gave it to her roughly 4 year old. The kid was chugging it and I tapped her on the shoulder to let her know it was an alcoholic beverage. She quickly took it away. The kid through a bit of a fit until she bought him something else.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have become a country of a bunch of whiners and complainers. Talk about suing? Are you kidding me, the father should drop his mistake and let everything die since he was the one who f'ed up. Not the Tigers, not the police and not CPS.

I wonder how you all feel when the police do sting operations for cigarettes and alcohol can those poor cashiers use the idiot excuse like this guy.

We take no responsibility for our actions anymore and when the shit hits the fan we want to sue no wonder the place is going to hell in a hurry.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with _sj_ in that a lawsuit is not the answer. But we need to understand as a society what's going on in our country.

By the way, two follow up points.

I told my friend about this who is black, and he said "welcome to america; they've been doing this shit to black people for 100 years. Now they're emboldened to start attacking middle class whites." That really surprized me, but it makes sense. The social services probably have pretty much free reign in the ghetto.

BTW, I don't know much about it, but I'm watching this thing in Texas with kind of horror. I mean, is it possible that this is a community that simply has different (not bad) social values and that we are coming in guns blazing to impose our social values.

Would the situation in Texas be different if the community in question and 100,000 members instead of 1000. What if it had 1,000,000? Would the bring in the army to "save" the children? Maybe drop Napalm on the village? Is there a point where our society recognizes that it does not have the lock on values or optimal social structures.

I really doubt that the 450 kids in Texas are better of in foster homes. The state picked a realtively defenseless group to launch this attack because the public is appalled by polygammy (sounds cool to me, but I'm a guy and not a nice one at that), but the scope of this is truly breathtaking.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. I was just thinking of my 90 year old great grandma. When we had coughs, she gave us a shot of wiskey with honey and lemon, a well known home remedy.

I guess social services would have wisked us away in an ambulance and locked her up in jail.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early years of the Zero Tolerance drug laws, there was a Spanish-speaking grandmother who packed a can of beer in her 5- or 6-year old grandson's lunch.

The child was expelled from school, then it came out that neither the grandmother nor the child could have read the label to know it contained beer.

Maybe not the smartest bulbs in the drawer (mixed metaphor alert) but it still should not have been an offense worthy of expulsion.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more shining example of how when to much power is given to a government agency and abuses it.

Yes it was mistake that the dad purchased the drink & it also the vendors fault as well.

With the way things are going in this country it makes me scared. Ive talked to some people before about this issue.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7322
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit

YES! all the time! I even found that CARMEL COLOR is actually assorted BUGS! Triglycerides is fat sugar, and all non-organic foods have artificial preservatives/ partially hydrogenated oils that can be murder to your heart and 85% of Americans that includes most of us in the forum eats it up like we don't give a care about our bodies. Oh Well! We are what we eat or drink. We Americans are getting fat just like the fat New York-esque charters in the French stereotypical film " The Triplets of Belleville."

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's OK for your school to fill your kid full of corn syrup and serve ketchup as a "vegetable" but don't you dare let them sip anything alcoholic. This is ridiculous.

When he was a tyke, Detroitnerd's Italian gramma would serve him watered-down coffee with lunch and diluted wine with dinner. No doubt she'd be in trouble with today's intolerant "bureaucrazies."

Wally

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i was just thinking of my 90 year old great grandma. When we had coughs, she gave us a shot of wiskey with honey and lemon, a well known home remedy.

I was given that remedy as well as a child, in the 1970's. It was recommended by the family doctor. Now you need to support some pharmaceutical company that pads Wash D.C.'s pockets to alleviate cough symptoms.

quote:

We have become a country of a bunch of whiners and complainers. Talk about suing? Are you kidding me, the father should drop his mistake and let everything die since he was the one who f'ed up.

I agree about how this country is becoming a bunch of pansy-ass whiners, but it's easy to F up when the label on the bottle looks like a soda label, especially if you've never heard of the stuff. The ballpark probably has it labeled "Mike's Lemonade" at the concession, not "Mikes HARD Lemonade", or "Mike's ALCOHOLIC Lemonade". Who looks at the bottle? Especially if you think you know what it is already? I never inspect my beer bottle when I get it at a game or concert. I order it, they give it to me, at a quick glance it looks OK, then I drink it. Sounds like an honest mistake that unfortunately was handled "by the book" with NO thinking at all involved. Bunch of brainless robots following rules not taking into consideration any human element or understanding at all.

(Message edited by Wally on April 30, 2008)

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catholics accept bread and wine during holy communion. CPS might want to send a few agents to crackdown on mass at local churches and arrest a few more parents, along with sending a few kids to foster care.

Wally

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This country is so bass-ackwards when it comes to things like this.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, was given whiskey, honey, and lemon as a child when ill.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old whiskey toddy was a standard in the Detroitnerd house. It sounds barbaric, but mama Detroitnerd would mix up a concoction of tea, whiskey, honey and a lemon drop, and make you drink it. She'd then rub Vicks into your chest and neck, then pin an old, clean sock around your neck and put you to bed.

I'd say, "And I turned out OK," but, um, somebody's gotta be a better example. :-)

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the whiskey-lemon-honey thing too, but at that time hated the taste of the whiskey. A real waste, as I think back on it. Now, I simply hold on the lemon and honey.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom would do this too:

"She'd then rub Vicks into your chest and neck, then pin an old, clean sock around your neck and put you to bed."

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, I'll remove the "then pin an old, clean sock around your neck and put you to bed" and replace iot with "then make you swallow some."

Now I've come up in the world to Zicam and Mucinex. :-)

Those are some GREAT cold medicines. Zicam will literally cure your cold the next day, no joke.

Sorry to go off-topic, but this is not an innocent mistake. The guy could have read the bottle and seen it had alcohol in it. 47 year old "academic" my ass!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing better than a hot cup of Vernors for what ails you.

Lilacgirl
Username: Lilacgirl

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad would make me hot tea with whiskey, lemon, and honey when I had chest colds. I would have hot Vernors with lemon when I had a stomach ache.

I must be getting use to life in Vegas, because you can't step foot in a liquor store or bar with out being over the age of 21. I remember when I was under 21 I was out bowling with my friend. I wanted a cranberry/orange juice so I went to the bar. When he carded me I was in shock...I didn't ask for anything with liquor in it. He went on to tell me that he couldn't even serve me water. In the end my friend went and got my juice for me.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside of improved attitudes about race and gender and somewhat the enviroment, this is the product of the liberal mindset of the 60's chicken coming home to roost. The state takes over totally, knows what is best for all and is Big Daddy. Yet society is falling totally apart. Thanks free love 60's liberals

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little_buddy: if you lived through the conformist 50's, you would understand the roots of the liberal 60's. OK, the drugs and me-first thing did get a little out of hand, but the LAST thing we wanted was for the STATE ("Big Brother", we used to call it) to be in control.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It seems like the employee selling the drink should have asked for ID. Because if the employee did, the dad would know it contained alchol."

CoPa's policy is to card everyone. It is likely that the father did get carded for his beer. CoPa also allows the purchase of two alcoholic beverages per ID. Therefore, even if the father had been asked for ID, he may not have necessarily known that the ID was in regards to the lemonade.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the failed attempt at sarcasm, Wash_man. I wasn't aware of the statute on Truthfulness in Threat Titles. Maybe something like "interesting article" or "look at this" would have been more appropriate.

When I was a kid, my family taught me the respect and appreciation for alcohol:
1. A glass of wine (or two) for "special" dinners,
2. A bottle of beer when visiting relatives,
3. A few sips of Dad's Mystery Drink in the evening while watching TV, and
4. A shot of Fernet-Branca or Brancamenta when sick.
And I've never been drunk in my life! Nor did I ever see any of my relatives get drunk. I don't know how I survived without government "protection".

After WWII, when the Germans were asked why they committed the atrocities that they did, their reply was strikingly similar to the CPS in this case:
"But there was really nothing any of them could do, they all said. They were just adhering to protocol, following orders."
How about from now on, if you see an injustice, speak up and do what is right!

Darwinism

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The clinical professor of law and director of the Child Advocacy Law Clinic at the University of Michigan Law School, Mr. Donald Duquette, has an op-ed on Freep.com today.

This man knows the ins-and-outs of Michigan's CPS agency. He helped expedited the Leo Ratte situation, which otherwise would have been even worse than it already was.

We are the people to change the system - contact your city/municipal reps, your county/state reps, your senators and leaderships. Do not be afraid to speak up when there is injustice. If every citizen cares to right the wrongs, and fight the books, our community and society will be better off.

_sj_

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Injustice? I guess the State of Michigan should refund all the money it collected from clerks who sold minors and for back pay from losing their jobs, becuase I guess they just didn't know it contained alcohol either.

I read that op-ed and all the letters to the editor it just amazes me at the lack of personal responsibility in this country.

I would rather have an over-reacted CPS than one that does nothing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6785
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ I agree... and while we're at it... police officers should shoot first... and ask questions later....

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe the kid had to drink away the pain of watching the Tigers

Retroit

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, it wasn't the "clerks" who were punished in this case! It was an innocent 7-year-old boy! If you don't think that's injustice, please don't work for the government!

Darwinism

Post Number: 742
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit is right - the true victim here is a 7-year-old kid who had to be away from mom and dad for 2-full-days and not allowed to see dad for almost 2-weeks!!

_sj_, since you're so fond of CPS over-reacting, how about you post your name and address here so that someone on DetroitYes can file a report to have a CPS agent visit you and remove your children for any random neglect/abuse reason that you may choose?

_sj_

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

_sj_, it wasn't the "clerks" who were punished in this case! It was an innocent 7-year-old boy! If you don't think that's injustice, please don't work for the government!

I was talking about all the clerks who were caught in sting operations or selling to minors. They had to pay fines and lose their job.

This guy screws up, everyone feels sorry for him. The taxpayers will foot the bill when he sues all becuase he screwed up. But yet we want to place blame elsewhere.

quote:

_sj_, since you're so fond of CPS over-reacting, how about you post your name and address here so that someone on DetroitYes can file a report to have a CPS agent visit you and remove your children for any random neglect/abuse reason that you may choose?

Except that would be a false report, unlike this incident which was real and was acted on accordingly.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, the clerks knew they were selling alcohol, the minors knew they were buying alcohol.

The guy made a mistake. It wasn't intentional.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the dad who bought the Mike's Lemonade should have figured something was up when he was charged $10 for the bottle.

Retroit

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, the two cases are not comparable. Those in government who are entrusted with the responsibility of protecting children from alleged "abuse" must be careful that their actions don't cause more harm than that caused by the so-called "abuser".

Darwinism

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, your statement above parallels the professional opinion of Mr. Don Duquette.

Here is what SHOULD have happened when Comerica personnel noticed Leo drinking "Mike's Lemonade" (as seen on the sign at the concession) ..... Mr. Ratte should have been alerted, police should have arrived, and CPS case worker should have evaluated that the situation DOES NOT warrant removal of Leo. The End.

_sj_, how can you assume that DetroitYes members would file a false report? Perhaps you ARE neglecting and abusing your children - by not having proper electrical outlet covers in your home, by not feeding your child on time, by having sharp objects within reach, by not installing car child safety seat correctly, by not having a hygienic environment at home, by spanking your child when he/she misbehaves ..... and hundreds of other reasons that CPS could be at your doorstep for a REAL report. Remember; don't ever think that what happens to others, won't happen to you.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some friends and i talked about this last night and came to some unanimous conclusions, though i feel few will agree :-)

1. the dad should be severely publicly ostracized, what world has he been living in?
2. there are so-called "dangers" to society, and then there are truly dangerous and scary people
3. this man, and countless thousands of others, represents the latter
4. paying five bucks for a hebrew national is nuts when you can get a regular ballpark for 2.50

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ballparks are 3.50 and the difference in quality makes u for the price

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.