Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Monicas law « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a brief statement about a new (as Trudy Daniels put it) "sticks sn stones law" for city council meetings that would put anyone disrupting city council meeting into a "time out" for the remainder of the meeting. Is this for real?

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a synopsis from the News. And from Barbara Rose no less! I'm sure it will die before they take any action on it.

The effort, suggested by Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, comes after a heated exchange ... between ... Monica Conyers and ...Kenneth Cockrel Jr. in which Conyers repeatedly called Cockrel "Shrek,"...

"There should be some way that council can chastise members who don't conform," Collins said. "So members can't just get up and act a fool and you can't do anything about it."

Collins said she wants to pursue a charter amendment, which would require approval by voters. It would outline penalties, which she said could include not allowing someone to speak for a day or longer, suspending them from meetings or even having a police officer physically remove someone from a meeting.

There is a censure provision in the council's rules, but Collins said she wants more consequences associated with the bad behavior.

Cockrel said fining out-of-control council members could be an option. The effort is expected to be discussed in the City Council's rules committee at a later date.

Conyers did not attend today's meeting. She wasn't available for comment.

Council dust-ups are nothing new. Conyers and Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel traded barbs late last year, with Conyers calling Cockrel a "drunk."

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There should be some way that council can chastise members who don't conform," Collins said. "So members can't just get up and act a fool and you can't do anything about it."

...act a fool: Does this include wearing a Tiara, which must have been very disruptive.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this Conyers on the city council? She's obviously not qualified. Shouldn't someone who acts professional and has common sense be in her position?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real question is my not "why is this conyers on the city council" - the question is WHY DID DETROITERS ELECT HER?????????????

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy:

Ayanna Kilpatrick's own text message: "...a city full of idiots." (see today's Freep)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6425
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ROFLMFAO

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that the public should not be electing people who cannot act professionally and intelligently into positions of importance.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do these people not realize there already IS something in place to accomplish this? It's called Robert's Rules of Order, or Parliamentary Procedure. I learned it in High School.
But of course, that shit don't apply to Detroit City Council. They just want respect.

Bobceng

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there's the problem...only about 25% of Detroit students are getting to or through High School. 25% is not going to outvote 75%, even if only about 30% of detroiters actually vote.

I learned that in elementary school Math. By the way, I am a 1970 DPS graduate, and wouldn't mind a little respect, myself.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, yeah that for the council persons.

What I would be more interested in is pursuing a charter amendment to remove any mayor under criminal charges, not waiting for the trial. If they have charges brought against them, out they go. Marched out without time to destroy the paper trail. You know, like they do in the corporate (real)world.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could understand the kids coming out of DPS today not knowing about procedure, but the people on the council are not 13, at least chronologically.
And, at least some of them (Monica) have post-graduate degrees. Somewhere in law school, a professor MUST have mentioned Robert's Rules.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you vote by name recognition instead of actual qualifications you just don't know what you're going to get either in professionalism or competance. When people get there news in sound bites instead of reading,when people don't go to the public forums and ask the hard questions or even to look that person in the eye and check out the body language you will get people like Martha Reeves, BRC and Monica.
Voting because someone has a name in a field other than public policy is the absolute worst reason to vote for somebody.

Bobceng

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as looking more closely before voting, what candidates should been elected last time, or might look good this time? I honestly don't remember the runners-up.

Maybe runners-up should be given a two-year "window" for appointment if the person actually elected needs to be removed. It might keep a lid on some of the antics if the Councilperson in question could be "replaced in a hot minute".

As far as Conyers goes, John's reputation in Detroit carried a lot of weight with Union and Labor endorsements. Who knew?

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Respect is earned, not owed. Acting like that, Conyers deserves no respect, from anyone. Not even the school children showed her respect.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless if you respect the person or not, you should respect the POSITION. You can be catty and disrespectful outside of the business being handled.

I dislike G. W. but he is the pres and I respect the position.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought of it that way, Vizion. Respect the position? I guess so. But what if the person is making a mockery of the position, the way GWB and Conyers are?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't do anything about how someone performs in their role. All you can do is maintain some sort of decorum and there is a time and place to handle the bullshit. Public meetings, in the media, etc are not the place.

MC hates KC, but she should have enough respect for the position to restrain until they could talk on the side. All you can do is take care of yourself, you can't worry about anyone else. If you do that, it can never be said you didn't do what you were supposed to do... that like think called integrity should kick in at some point.

Look at it this way too.. me clowning GW and MC is not going to make the situation better, it brings me to their level. We have rules for a reason, we just can't pick and choose when we want to hold someone accountable.

Bobceng

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of these positions have been filled by misfits for so long, that it's getting hard to remember to separate the Office from the Officeholder.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The real question is my not "why is this conyers on the city council" - the question is WHY DID DETROITERS ELECT HER?????????????"

Glad someone finally asked the question. We act like these people just showed up one day and decided to be the city council. Enough people voted for these fools, and thats why they sit where they do. Hopefully, Detroit will remember this behavior at election time (although I doubt they will - we have incredibly short memories)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6441
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

me clowning GW and MC is not going to make the situation better

No... But it might make it more funny.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to politicians delivering stinging rebukes with a straight, calm face, a la "you're no Jack Kennedy"? It is very possible to make your point without Z-snapping and shouting.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8545
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"There should be some way that council can chastise members who don't conform,..."

I find that an odd and somewhat frightening choice of words to base a Charter amendment upon.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B-C and VD...

You got my votes...

JV

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The real question is my not "why is this conyers on the city council" - the question is WHY DID DETROITERS ELECT HER?????????????

The same reason Wayne County residents elected John Dingell once his father vacated that congressional seat 50 some years ago. Anyone else think term limits should be expanded to include family members?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's vote to put Lowell in charge of discipline with the authority to ban those idiots for name calling and other offensive conduct. (Am I allowed to call them that?)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6770
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemmingway... at least John Dingell, one of the most powerful members in congress (being the longest serving member helps), brings home some bacon. The new VA Hospital in Detroit was largely his doing (and it's not even in his district).

Then on the other side of the spectrum Monica's husband, the ineffectual John Conyers has been around for decades as well, but has done nothing for Detroit to show for it.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The real question is my not "why is this conyers on the city council" - the question is WHY DID DETROITERS ELECT HER?????????????"

Or: Why don't any decent people run?
Or: Why do they get so easily corrupted when they are elected?
Or: Why don't the electors demand more accountability?

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone take Monica's Poll about the new committee format of the council?

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/le gislative/citycouncil/members/ ConyersM/conyersM_content_fram e.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.