Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Film incentives already producing results « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Los Angeles-based crew has set up in a Woodward Avenue building that's struggled to find tenants for years. There are five people in the office now, and the crew eventually will swell to about 100, many of them local talent, when shooting begins in June. Beyond renting office space, the out-of-town crew is staying in local hotels, renting cars and eating out. They scouted locations ranging from large homes in Oakland County to derelict buildings in Detroit.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/B IZ/805010398

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7712
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the ridiculousness of this line in the article:

"This flat out doesn't work," said Patrick Anderson, a Lansing economist. "We need to attract people who want to vacation instead of getting Steven Spielberg."

I'd like to see how he can explain the economics of how a family (I'll assume four people) staying a fair amount of time in Michigan to vacation (dare I say two weeks?) is going to be better than a full blown movie/ TV crew staying several months here to shoot their film/ video? Even with the tax incentives tossed in- the sheer amount of people being here HAS to be a better boost the economy than the vacationers coming here, wouldn't you think?

And the PR value that it generates has got to be somewhat worthwhile as well.

Again, I'm not some Lansing economist and I'm not the sharpest knife in the math department either and maybe Mr. Anderson has got more facts than that, but I still think his line of how vacationers are better than a film crew here is better for the economy is way off base. If I'm wrong, please educate me here- please.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,Your spot on Im betting. Hollywood $$ is nothing sneeze at. Im pretty excited about this plan. Is thee a state with a better tax credit or whatever kickback there is? Im not sure.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7714
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, not even close. When the Lansing brass formed this incentive package it wasn't to nickel dime the next nearest competitor, it was groundbreaking and well ahead of the curve.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to get BOTH of these groups. Why do both sides in this article seem to think it is one or the other?

Any money is good money if we are bringing it into the state from other areas.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many visitors/vacationers visit this state every year? Hundreds of thousands? Millions?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but their all on a budget, not a hollywood budget.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7716
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question Mikem!

I would counter that with how long are their stays compared to how long is some camera guy, a gaffer, or some crew guy going to be here.

I'm wondering if somehow someway they could measure the swell in the population somehow with these outsiders coming in. Is this a hotel/ lodging sort of question perhaps?

Smogboy

Post Number: 7717
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, I don't think anyone is advocating keeping tourists away from the state or doing anything to keep them out. I don't see how this film incentive is a bad thing at all. I totally agree with you that we're more than willing to take anyone's money!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8551
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, there is the small matter of the local people in the industry who get hired to work on the project.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I suspect that the reason that Patrick Anderson is a LANSING economist, rather than a New York or Washington, D.C. economist, is because of his razor-sharp logic (or, perhaps, lack of it).

Mikem

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although he doesn't have a degree in economics, he's no slouch either. Still, the industry generated $4M in "economic activity" last year. That's great, but a million visitors buying a hamburger did the same thing, and the state isn't giving the visitors 42˘ back for every dollar they spent.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem,

The state already does stuff to promote tourism (I'm sure you've seen or heard Tim Allen on your radio or TV in the past year or so). If I recall, I remember hearing a few years ago that Michigan ranked 9th of all the states in terms of tourism dollars generated. Michigan tourism does very well.

Besides, if the estimates are true, I'd love to see tourists buy $200 million worth of hamburgers.

Mikem

Post Number: 3625
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know they promote tourism, I'm addressing Smogboy's reaction to Anderson's comments. I think tourists spend about $8 billion annually here. Will Hollywood spend $19 B here (before getting $11 B rebated)? I hope so.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8553
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

. The Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau's overall budget is $13 million...

Film Detroit Facts/FAQ’s
What have you done to prepare for Film Detroit’s launch since early 2007, and
since it was on the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCVB)
strategic plan since 2003?
• Attended Locations Trade Show, Santa Monica, CA, Association of Film
Commissioners International (AFCI) April 2007 and April 10-12, 2008
• Attended AFCI Cineposium, Santa Fe, NM; professional development
conference for film offices, August 2007
• Did film scouts in early 2008 while interest in the new incentive was already
beginning
• Attended and hosted Michigan Film Advisory Commission meetings in 2007
and 2008
• As DMCVB, assisted with scouting and location assistance, liaison for films
including: The Island, Transformers Semi-Pro (set visits in LA, Flint,
Detroit); welcomed cast & crew to Detroit
What’s the Difference between Film Detroit, the Detroit Film Office and the
Michigan Film Office?
• Film Detroit is a division of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau, a
private, not-for-profit organization that markets and promotes metro Detroit as a
film location, assisting with scouts, locations, securing hotel room blocks and a
variety of other film-related and hospitality services throughout Wayne, Oakland
and Macomb Counties, including the city of Detroit.
• The Detroit Film Office is part of the City of Detroit, and operates within city
boundaries under the leadership of Deputy Chief Operating Officer Al Fields. In
addition to location scouts, its specialty is making productions go smoothly,
from issuing permits to closing city streets, to “blowing up” cars (as in the film
“The Island” on Fort Street, a state road), the Detroit Film Office makes things
happen to help projects get completed on time and on budget. Film Detroit
partners with the Detroit Film Office in the city of Detroit working together to
ensure a smooth production.
• The Michigan Film Office (MFO) is part of the State of Michigan under the
leadership of veteran Director Janet Lockwood and her Lansing-based team.
The MFO’s jurisdiction is the entire state of Michigan. In addition to script
review, locations and scouting, the MFO ensures productions are handled
professionally, from getting permits on state land and roads, the MFO helps film
projects get done on time and on budget. Film Detroit partners with the MFO on
projects in metro Detroit to ensure a seamless, smooth production. Most
importantly, the MFO is the expert source for details about the new production
incentives, and the MFO reviews and approves incentive applications.
What other film-related projects has the DMCVB/Film Detroit been involved in?
From Good Morning America and The Weather Channel to Italian Public Television to
The History Channel, the DMCVB has assisted with a variety of media and film-related
projects throughout its 108-year history.
How is the DMCVB qualified to house Film Detroit?
The DMCVB is known for its excellent hospitality, service, media expertise and has
more than 800 members including hotels, transportation, catering companies and other
industries. Major movies have recently been filmed in Detroit too: The Island,
Transformers and many more. The DMCVB helped host Super Bowl XL, the MLB All-
Star Game, World Series among other marquee events in Detroit.
What’s the 2008 budget for Film Detroit?
The Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau’s overall budget is $13 million, and
resources for Film Detroit will be reallocated as possible and necessary. DMCVB/Film
Detroit will assess needs and plan for the 2009 budget based on activity and projects
filmed in 2008.
Have any new movies signed definite contracts to film in Detroit as a result of
this new incentive?
One $4 million independent film project completes the application in early April, and it
should begin pre-production in mid April, with filming to begin in late May. Film Detroit
handled that scout in late March and is currently assisting with details such as finalizing
locations, office space, hotels and other housing, casting, crew, etc.
Film Detroit contacts: www.filmdetroit.com; 1-877-478-7883
• Carolyn Artman, Manager, Film Detroit/Media Relations Manager, Detroit
Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau
313-202-1952, cartman@visitdetroit.com
• Xenia Castillo-Hunter, Manager, Film Detroit/National Sales Manager, Detroit
Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau, 313-202-1978, xhunter@visitdetroit.com

Sorry for the long post, it is a PDF.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me wrong. I like Pat Anderson. But he missed an important point. Film and video production today can lead to movie-tourism for the long run. Case in point: 20+ years after the movie, the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa is still drawing curious movie fans. And Mackinac Island for "Somewhere in Time." Same with movie-based tourism in Chicago, Savannah, London, even New Zealand (Lord of the Rings), and the list goes on and on. I betcha Marquette still gets an occasional fan of "Anatomy of a Murder." I can't go by the Scott Fountain on Belle Isle without thinking about Gene Hackman and Al Pacino in "Scarecrow."

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Michigan Tourism Strategic Plan was unveiled Monday at the Driving Tourism 2007 conference by the Michigan Tourism Planning Council. Michigan's tourism industry generates $17.5 billion dollars in annual revenue, 200,000 jobs and almost $1 billion in state tax revenue, and the architects of the plan have set the goal of growing Michigan to be one of the top five travel destinations in the nation.

http://www.absolutemichigan.co m/dig/michigan/michigan-touris m-strategic-plan-unveiled/

Even a couple dozen films a year will be a blip on the radar compared to the tourism industry.

I'd prefer that our lawmakers concentrate on making Michigan a better state to do business in for all businesses. A little more attention to tax, regulatory and labor law reform would help, as would getting serious about the looming pension and health benefit disaster in state and local governments.

But getting movies made here, that's "exciting" and makes it look like someone in Lansing is "doing something".

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The film industry generated $4 million in economic activity in Michigan last year, when an estimated six films were made here, although there may have been some other low-budget productions, too, state film officials said. That could grow to $200 million to $300 million this year, based on early interest in the incentives, said state Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Zeeland, one of the co-sponsors of the bill that created the program."

Even if it's not $200M, lowballing at tens of millions is still better than a kick in the pants. Yeah, it's not as big as tourism, but let's not pooh pooh diversified economic development. Gingellgirl makes a very valid point linking the two areas.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080503/NEW S06/805030320

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 867
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, it's not as big as tourism, but let's not pooh pooh diversified economic development.

exactly what i was going to say. for so many years, people bitched and moaned that we needed to diversify our economy. now they say we need to concentrate on tourism (already our 'other' big industry)? wtf. morons.

i also might point out that when an economy goes sour, tourism is one of the first things to suffer, so why would we put all our eggs in that basket? this complements tourism perfectly, not only for Gingellgirl's observations, but because when people cut back on discretionary expenditures, what do they do? often, they sit at home... and watch tv.

i'd also like to challenge this economist to come up with a program to attract vacationers, rather than just complain about what has been done. bring a solution, not a problem.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6497
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan tourism does bring in a lot of money, but how much of that is in Detroit? Seems like the film industry is rather fond of the city itself. So for you city birds, the film industry might help the city more than tourism.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOOM!

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another factor is many of the tourists in Michigan live here. Tourism becomes money just staying in state, instead of coming from other places. Plus it's not like anyone can float this incentive as a negative for Detroit. Johnlodge is right for one, and the sheer increase in movie $$ in the past month is extremely promising.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4720
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also agree that the impact of hollywood money would be better than trying to get marginally higher amounts of tourists. Those two things make a non sequtor anyway. What the hell is Anderson talking about? Why bring up tourism after discussing the film industry?

An economics degree may not be a sufficient condition for being an economist, but I'd say its a prereq...and that guy is no economist. (Like I'd trust an architect of Prop A to inform me about my state's economy, anyway).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.