Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Light rail service » Archive through April 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4663
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat's first point might be true (but it won't be if a Democrat president arrives). His/her second point is utterly bogus. It touches on one strain of thinking that, yes, a decent amount of metro Detroiters are stupid enough to register with in their irrationality, but I think the ease of using a car in this area combined with the unreliability of current transit is what turns most people off. Yes some paranoid people think that only criminals ride the bus, but they might change their mind when gasoline goes up 100% from its current price and they are presented with a clean and reliable line such as the proposed one. People are just going to run out of excuses, and if they don't want to ride this new line because they fear the potential of a possible ex-felon riding next to them, then that is their loss. There will be enough willing people stepping up [and risking their necks, right?] to enjoy this system.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, I'm not kissing anyone's ring. Ironically, you're the one who habitually suckles on the teat of the god of pessimism. That's your religion, and you're a true, mindless believer.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one, for the life of me, cannot figure out why people in this region are so resistant to the idea of light rail transit. And the price tag is not that terribly high. It’s an investment for the future. But I digress on that aspect.

I had the pleasure of living in two cities with such systems - San Francisco and Chicago. Before living in San Francisco, I never once set foot on mass transit (grew up in Troy). I thought just as many nay-sayers here. But after only a couple of “let’s just try it” trips, my wife and I sold our car, bought monthly passes and never once looked back. No regrets. We actually enjoyed the extra $400 bucks per month in our pockets (that figure not including any car maintenance)

We did buy a car after a few months of living in Chicago, but that was used primarily for recreation, or for my wife and I to drive back to Kalamazoo to visit family. Even then, we often took the train. No, we were not hippies.

Now, with all that said. I am a Metro Detroit person, who would never-ever-never think of using mass transit. Until I actually tried it. So, and this might be a stretch, if I could change my opinion, I'm certain a few thousand other Metro Detroiters who once thought as I did, might have their minds changed to.

Of course, that is all anecdotal.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Observations about the Detroit 1926 transit study:

(1) Detroit was projected to have three to five million residents within the city limits. The five-million point was to occur prior to 1996.

(2) Detroit never annexed anything beyond 1927.

(3) There was a national recession during 1927 and an earlier recession around 1925, or a bit earlier. A number of Detroit automakers did not survive the 1925 recession, such as the Rickenbacker on Cabot.

(4) No "skyscrapers" were started after 1927. The Guardian was completed during 1929. It took 48 years after that for another to be finished--the RenCen.

(5) The Detroit auto industry never recovered sufficiently after the 1927 recession before the big one--the Market Crash in October 1929.

(6) Much of the subways that were planned in 1926 would have been useless today, especially those toward the East Side. It's doubtful that any migration out of Detroit would have been averted had a subway been in place then and now because transportation wasn't a problem while Detroit still had industry within its city limits.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 23, 2008)

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want this thing to happen but I don't want my to get my hopes up only to see this project go nowhere. Also, 3 years just to break ground and another 2-3 before it's completed is a really long time and I'll be in a much different place in my life (probably too old to get as much use out of something like this as I would now). Nevertheless, I'm glad that we're doing this for future generations.

Sometimes I think it would be great to move out of Detroit to Chicago for the next 5-6 years... enjoy public transit and all the great urban living options and then move back to a thriving Detroit.

edit: Although I realize that if I want this city to be better in 5-6 years it's important to be a part of the positive change... things don't just happen.

(Message edited by sparty06 on April 23, 2008)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, your point 6 is debatable. While they could have become useless in today's Detroit, they could also have become an asset and lead to gentrification of areas as seen with Washington DC and its Metro.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat, your pessimism astounds me (as with most of the anti-rapid transiters). Your point about crime is totally false, as crime happens on transit systems all over the world. Gypsy children are taught to pickpocket from travellers in Rome and Paris metros. I'm sure crime is reported on NYC subway and the Chicago El daily. I mean I think your saying that because Detroit, yes, is full of crime. I know, as a white suburbanite, would ride the rapid transit rail, and would tell people and educate people about it, assuming I will be here in 2011/13 which have high odds. Your first point is false. The governor and senators know how much we need this for the city and region. Detroit cannot afford anymore without rapid transit. We should all be in favor of this proposal, we should all educate people of this proposal, and when it comes to be we should all ride it.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5987
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you imagine how people might not want to descend into a subway tube along Jean Street today? Do some dangerous NYC scenarios give you an idea?

Just as not having a subway the past 80 years didn't lead to Detroit being what it is today, having one wouldn't have stopped any of Detroit out-migration either. That Jean Street tube would still be there, but few people would be there wanting to use it. Having one there wouldn't have made any difference when they decided to move out.

Likewise, the subway tube/elevated south of Vernor to the Rouge plant would not have been very useful today because I routinely ride the 49 Vernor bus and they were never crowded and rarely more than 2/3 full whenever I ride.

Ford is still there, BTW, but with a tiny fraction of the jobs it had some 70 years ago. In fact, the Rouge made farm tractors until 1927 and iron/steel for its HP plant. The Rouge Industries spin-off went bankrupt a few years ago, and was purchased in bankruptcy by the sole bidder (US Steel pulled its short-lived bid)--Severstal NA--a Russian company.

As to gentrification, what makes you think that it's on the way? Some say that it's more likely 40 years from now than 10. Even the Midtown projects seem to lost steam even before the real-estate meltdown.

The BC condos will probably be renegotiated if any price declines in excess of 5% have occurred in market value since they were "sold" because it would be less expensive to simply walk away and forfeit the deposits. As a real-estate broker during the 1970s and 1980s, I would be curious to know just what those in the BC would go for in today's marketplace and how much they might go for in 10 or 20 years.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 23, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You never know LY...with transit in place...the sprawl might have been greatly curbed if there was readily available transportation...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4171
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bit dated, but I think it aptly shows that Livernoisyard is making shit up:

http://www.gao.gov/archive/199 9/rc99240.pdf

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5990
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that DDC has produced a GAO source and a bit dated. The dated part isn't a problem, but the GAO shouldn't be considered the Bible as to federal cost overruns.

Being a fiscal conservative and sometimes libertarian (small 'l'), I tend to distrust government sources... Instead, I will produce another source in addition to the one cited earlier:

[So, while there is evidence that the cost overruns may be lower since the early 1990s, there is insufficient data to prove that at the usual confidence levels. Still, the study suggests that the average cost overrun since 1994 is 30%, down from 50%--still somewhat high.]

TRENDS IN U.S. RAIL TRANSIT PROJECT COST OVERRUN
quote:

NASIRU A. DANTATA
Former Graduate Research Asst., Northeastern University.

ALI TOURAN
Assoc. Prof., Dept. of Civil & Env. Engrg., Northeastern University.

DONALD C. SCHNECK
Senior Associate, Booz. Allen & Hamilton, Inc.

ABSTRACT

This paper compares the results of the Pickrell report to cost overruns of transit projects completed after 1990 to see if there has been any improvement in estimating the capital costs of rail transit projects in the past decade. The Pickrell’s report, published in 1990, looked at 10 rail projects built in the 1980s and reported on the cost difference between the original cost estimates and the final costs of these projects. We have compared those statistics with data from 16 recent transit rail projects. The comparison focuses only on federally funded rail projects in the United States. The characteristics of the projects and data in the 1990 study and of the “recent” projects are presented followed by a statistical comparison. We conclude that there is evidence to suggest that cost overruns for projects completed before 1990 are different from that of projects completed after 1994 (i.e., cost overruns have become smaller), but we do not have sufficient data to statistically prove this at a level of significance of 5%. In our opinion this is a positive trend. We suggest that we continue to pursue the current research by collecting data as more transit projects are completed and as more data becomes available.

BACKGROUND

The results of the Pickrell’s (1990) UMTA report on cost overruns in rail projects in the United States have been widely cited in several articles and research publications (Flyvbjerg et al 2002; Touran et al 1994). The report looked at 10 rail projects built in the 1980s. Many more rail projects have been built in the United States since 1990. The objective of this paper is to examine whether the results of Pickrell’s report are still valid today or if the magnitude of cost overruns in rail transit projects have changed. Flyvbjerg etal. (2002, 2003) conducted a study for projects worldwide and concluded that cost estimating has not improved in the last two decades.

This paper compares the results of the Pickrell study to cost overruns of transit projects completed after 1990 to see if there is any improvement in estimating the capital costs of rail transit projects. It should be noted that this comparison is performed at a macro level and is not looking at causes of cost overrun in transit projects. Many factors have been suggested for the cause of cost overrun including but not limited to optimistic underestimation of costs at conceptual phase, the lengthy project approval and construction process, omission of project components during early phases, addition to project scope during project development, and unforeseen latent conditions that are difficult to predict. The study of these factors, although very important, is beyond the scope of this paper. The purpose here is to get an aggregate impression about the trend in cost overruns in transit projects in the past four decades. The current comparison focuses only on federally funded rail projects in the United States. The characteristics of the projects and data in the 1990 study and of the “recent” projects are presented followed by a statistical comparison.

PROJECT CHARACTERISTICS AND COST OVERRUNS
This analysis is limited to the ten (10) studies in the Pickrell (1990) report compared with data from sixteen (16) recently completed projects.

Projects Completed Prior to 1990
Pickrell examined 10 rail transit projects. Among them, two were automated guideway (AGT), four were heavy rail (HRT), and four were light rail transit (LRT) projects. Publication dates of AA/DEIS studies for these projects ranged from 1969 to 1981 and the projects were completed between 1986 and 1989. The average cost overrun was 50%. Nine out of the ten projects experienced cost overruns of 13% to 106% in 1988 dollars. One project experienced a cost underrun of 11%. Table 1 shows the capital costs and analysis of cost overruns of the projects in this study. The actual capital costs of the 10 projects range between $175 million to $7,968 million with an average of $1,551 million in 1988 dollars. The average actual cost for 9 projects excluding the Washington METRO HRT project is $838 million.

The main criteria used for selecting the 10 projects were the availability of detailed cost and ridership data and the amount of federal funding. The 10 projects also comprised “significant share of federally-financed investment in major transit capital improvements” from the late 1970s to the late 1990s (Pickrell 1990).

Projects Completed After 1994

We collected data for sixteen projects planned (DEIS published) after 1984 and completed after the publication of the Pickrell’s report. These projects comprise 1 AGT, 7 HRT, and 8 LRT projects. Bus Transit projects are excluded because the Pickrell’s report considered rail transit projects only. Publication dates of AA/DEIS studies for these projects ranged from 1984 to 1990 and the projects were completed between 1995 and 2004. The average cost overrun was 30%. Thirteen out of the sixteen projects experienced cost overruns of 3% to 78% in YOE dollars. The remaining three projects experienced cost underruns of 2% to 28%. Table 2 shows the capital costs and analysis of cost overruns for the recently completed projects.

The Pickrell’s cost estimates are expressed in 1988 dollars while the costs of the recently completed projects are expressed in YOE dollars. These two formats can be used together in this analysis because they are both inflation adjusted. We adjusted project costs to the YOE dollars using the ENR’s Construction Cost Index. In both cases the cost overruns measure the difference between the budget at the AA level and the actual costs adjusted for inflation.

The actual capital costs of the 16 projects range between $94 million to $1,625 million with an average of $486 million in 1988 dollars. The criteria for selecting these projects were the availability of the forecast and actual costs data and the time period from planning to completion. In general, collecting project data is a major undertaking; relevant reports are difficult to obtain and the information about the date of estimates is not readily available. In this paper, we were interested in rail projects of relatively large size with a DEIS report date of after 1982 (the latest date in Pickrell’s report) and construction date of after 1994. This puts at least 5 years distance between the completion date of the projects and the completion of the UMTA (Pickrell) study.

Projects analyzed by Pickrell had an average cost of about 3 times the average cost of the 16 recent projects presented in this paper. This difference raises two questions: has the size of transit projects got smaller since 1990? Is cost overrun related to project size (total capital cost)? These questions are answered in the next section.

THE EFFECT OF PROJECT SIZE AND DATE ON COST OVERRUN

In evaluating the relationship between project size (cost) and cost overrun, we need to look at all available estimates and actual cost data on transit projects. Data was collected on 37 projects. These include the 10 projects in the 1990 Pickrell report, the 16 recently completed projects, and 11 other projects. The actual costs of the projects were converted to 1988 dollars to be consistent with the format of the 1990 Pickrell report. Table 3 shows the actual cost in 1988 dollars, the cost overrun, and the year of completion for the 37 projects. The actual capital costs of the 37 projects range between $94 million to $7,968 million with an average of $806 million in 1988 dollars.

Figure 1 shows the relationship between the total capital cost in 1988 dollars and the year of completion for the 37 projects. It shows that 30 projects cost below $1 billion while 7 projects cost above $1 billion. The projects under $1 billion were completed from 1988 to 2001 and show no clear pattern of increase or decrease with time.

Among the 7 projects over $1 billion, four were completed before 1990 and the other 3 were completed after 2000. The figure shows that there is no clear trend of declining project size. The correlation coefficient between the actual capital cost and the year of completion is 0.38. This is a weak correlation and we conclude that the relationship between the project size and year of completion is weak, or there is no trend of declining project size. In general, a correlation coefficient of between 0 (minimum) and 0.5 is considered weak and between 0.8 and 1.0 (maximum) is considered strong (Devore 2004).

Figure 2 shows the relationship between the project size and cost overrun. The figure shows no clear pattern between the two variables. The correlation coefficient between the actual capital cost and the cost overrun is 0.37. This is again a weak correlation and we conclude that the relationship between the project size and cost overrun is weak.

STATISTICAL COMPARISON OF THE TWO SAMPLES

Table 4 summarizes the characteristics and summary statistics of the two samples being compared. Figure 3 shows the period between the publications of AA/DEIS reports and completion of projects for all projects in the two samples. It clearly shows that the recent projects being compared were executed in a period after that of the projects in the Pickrell’s report. This is important because the goal of the comparison was to compare the two periods so we avoided projects in one sample that were executed in the time span of the other sample.

In comparing the average of cost overruns, we see that projects completed after 1990 experienced less cost overruns. However, the standard deviation of the cost overrun in this period is larger. Figure 4 shows the cost overrun versus year of completion for all sample projects. It shows that the range of cost overruns is about the same for projects completed before and after 1990.

<snippage>

The results of the analysis suggest if we use a level of significance of 8.9% we can reject the hypothesis that cost increases have remained the same in favor of the cost overrun having decreased in recent years. In similar applications, level of significance values of between 1% to 10% have been used, with being 5% probably the most common assumption. At 5% level, the null hypothesis cannot be rejected, i.e., there is insufficient evidence to prove statistically that cost overruns have changed in recent years.

CONCLUSION

We observe that there is evidence to suggest that cost overruns for projects completed before 1990 are different from that of projects completed after 1994 (i.e., cost overruns have become smaller), but we do not have sufficient data to statistically prove this at a level of significance of 5%. This conclusion applies to both alternatives that cost overruns are different or that they have become smaller. We can reject the hypothesis that cost overruns have remained the same in favor of them being different at a significance level of 17.81% or more and can reject the hypothesis that cost overruns have remained the same in favor of them being improved at a significance level of 8.90% or more. In our opinion this is a positive trend. We suggest that we continue to pursue the current research by collecting data as more transit projects are completed and as more data becomes available.

Danindc

Post Number: 4173
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^While you look at numbers alone, you're ignoring context completely. The source immediately above includes Automated Guideway Transit (expensive and unpredictable), and Heavy Rail (unpredictable when it comes to tunneling, as Los Angeles found out in a big way). You're mixing modes, pal. Why don't you include freeway projects in there too, just to confuse the numbers even more. Never mind relevance.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just as not having a subway the past 80 years didn't lead to Detroit being what it is today, having one wouldn't have stopped any of Detroit out-migration either. That Jean Street tube would still be there, but few people would be there wanting to use it. Having one there wouldn't have made any difference when they decided to move out.

Okay, all major American cities went through significant decline in the 1950-1990 time frame. It's true that Detroit was not much worse off nor better than any other American city in the late 80s and early 90s.

OTOH, name one city with an extensive transit system that is even close to being as depressed as Detroit is today.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5993
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The primary point of the study was to indicate that indeed cost overruns do exist. Also, those overruns average 30% of projects from the past 14 years, down up earlier projects. One primary problem with such studies is the sampling error, due to only having a small sample size. Surely Dan, even you should know that there are only a relatively small number of LRT projects nationwide. The study used essentially what the earlier study used. It separated out the BRT projects in order to keep them rail-oriented. Sheesh.

Even the GAO report would have a similar problem were it to concoct a cost overrun average, instead of merely listing the projects.

Keep up the worming, Dan. You know that cost overruns on government projects are not as low as you imply. Only some 20% or less of LRT systems were built at or under budget. Check out the overruns of the projects in the other (Hawaiian) article I posted a few days ago.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

OTOH, name one city with an extensive transit system that is even close to being as depressed as Detroit is today.

I guess it's not that extensive, but Buffalo has subway service.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4670
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Buffalo. It is a direct link directly downtown, though, and I don't consider that city more depressed than Detroit. Although the downtown is a 9-5 M-F sort of place. It's a pretty small city, really.

Newark has a city subway/light rail, extensive buses, and two major train stations for commuter rail, including one mega-hub in Penn Station. While the latter two are NJ or Port Authority funded, the city subway and buses are supported by the city and region in tandem, if I remember correctly.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess it's not that extensive, but Buffalo has subway service.

It's also not what I would consider a major city.

(Yeah, I realize that I didn't specifically say major city in my challenge, but it's implied from my sentence about the decline of major American cities)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Newark has a city subway/light rail, extensive buses, and two major train stations for commuter rail, including one mega-hub in Penn Station. While the latter two are NJ or Port Authority funded, the city subway and buses are supported by the city and region in tandem, if I remember correctly.

Newark is not located in a region with a faltering economy (it's also a satellite city - ala Ann Arbor, Pontiac - as opposed to a major city). The PATH train seems to be moreso planned for getting people to NYC than to Newark, IMO.

(Message edited by iheartthed on April 24, 2008)

Danindc

Post Number: 4175
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Surely Dan, even you should know that there are only a relatively small number of LRT projects nationwide. The study used essentially what the earlier study used. It separated out the BRT projects in order to keep them rail-oriented. Sheesh.

There are at least 20 functioning light rail systems in the United States (with 3 more currently under construction). Most of these were built in phases, i.e. multiple projects per system. BECAUSE of this, building light rail has become fairly predictable, and planners are able to budget for costs that were once unforeseen.

At what point are you going to stop intentionally disseminating disinformation?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF, the Feds are building a rail system in San Juan PR, only a US territory, not even w/in the friggin' country, and Detroit can't get federal funding?? What's next, trains in Guam?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5995
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan lives in a fairy tale world where everything operates above board, where no lying and cheating and ripping off of the taxpayers ever occurs.

Still, Dan, cost analyses of transit projects show that cost overruns occur, even after 1994. Fancy that!

Considering the exposed and yet unexposed graft and corruption in Detroit, it would be curious to see what Detroit's overruns might be--without having to endure them, of course.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slight change in thread momentum...

If they created a Woodward line what would be next?

Ideally:
Woodward line: Heart Plaza to Birmingham
Gratiot line: Ford Field area to Clinton Township
Grand River line: ? to Farmington Hills,
Michigan Ave line: Cobo(ish) to Dearborn
Jefferson line: GP farms to Wyandott

After these lines are built/established you can construct east/west stations at logical points within the system to form sort of a web...Or uses buses for east west transfers to each main line.

Maybe cobo can be transformed into a train hub when the wings move…

Overall good or bad?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting suggestion for a hub, DB. IIRC, Cobo is sited where the old MCRR Depot was.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5948
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be the use, then, of the not-even-yet-completed Rose Parks Transit Center, then? Somehow, that has to be incorporated into anything Detroit hopes to do or risk it being a big waste.

Greatlakes

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But that's the beauty of these large public projects, especially when they don't talk to or even care that well about other projects that have been done or are in the works, eh? Seeing how much money and effort they can waste in new and different ways.

I want to see LR/rail mass transit in Detroit just as anyone else here, but I do know the government will hardly be efficient or frugal with its budget.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean that you think they'll be more inefficient than other public mass transit systems?

Greatlakes

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, what I mean is that while we all want to see this happen, we shouldn't be surprised that it'll end up costing more than whatever figures are being put out now. What we can hope for of course is that the resulting economical impact will outweigh those costs.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5950
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will cost more than the estimate. I can't think of any transit system/line that didn't overrun costs upon its completion. The Hiawatha Line in Minneapolis, which this is patterned after, came in at $715 million, after originally having been budgeted for $400 million. To be fair, a small part of that was from inflation, but it still leaves hundreds-of-millions of dollars over budget even taking the inflation into account.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cost overruns take inflation into account.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonetheless, cost overruns aren't unique to mass transit. Many large government projects have this problem, from Boston's Big Dig to the War in Iraq! It's just the way that it is. It the politics of mega-projects.

Interesting read on the subject is "Mega-Projects--The Changing Politics of Urban Public Investment" by Altshuler and Luberoff.