Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit as a City Where One Can Succeed-Then and Now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father is from Pittsburgh, but he went to U of M, and settled in Metro Detroit with my mother, working as a corporate bankruptcy attorney.

One of my friends father is from New York City, but he went to U of M, and settled with his wife in Metro Detroit, working as an accountant with a large firm.

Another one of my friends father is from New York, but went to U of M, and also settled in Metro Detroit with his wife, working as a motivational speaker and psychologist.

Now, I understand that all three of these people went to U of M, and married people from Michigan, and therefore had ties to the Metro Detroit region. Yet, that doesn't change the fact that they chose to stay in Metro Detroit even though they were from another area of the country. You can infer from their actions that although maybe they didn't think they would end up in metro Detroit, with their circumstances, they believed they had a good chance of succeeding as a professional in the area and chose to settle here.

While I think that this was the sentiment 30 years ago, it is not the sentiment now. While I do not think that many people chose to move to Detroit to work as a professional unless they were involved in the auto industry, I do think that if you married someone from Metro Detroit and/or made good contacts in the area, the feeling was that you could be very successful in almost any professional occupation that you chose.

It seems to me that things are different now. I do not know anyone who was from out of state who went to the University of Michigan, and who then chose to settle in Metro Detroit, even if they had a significant other from the area.

I think that now, most people do not believe that they can succeed as a professional in Metro Detroit if they are not from metro Detroit, and obviously, even many people from Metro Detroit do not believe that they can succeed either.

Thoughts or Comments?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Detroit Today, Craig had some people on about the amazing opportunities in Detroit. Listening to them made it sound really possible that Detroit is about to find itself on the cutting edge of real estate development.

Melanie Piana, Associate Director of MI Suburbs Alliance, Doug Brown is from ASTI Environmental and He’s also is the co-chair of the Brownfields Transaction Forum for the conference, and Peter Allen is a Developer and Faculty at the Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning.

There is to be a Brownfields forum conference here on May 5 at Cobo and reportedly there will be a huge turnout.

http://www.brownfields2008.org /en/page.btf.aspx

I think it was Peter Allen who reported on the views of younger people, who seem to see Detroit as a great opportunity to make a difference, and who want urban living and public transit. Craggy mentioned that Detroit was # 9 on a recent top ten list of places to locate. It's all in the POV.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone who heard the show elaborate on the statement " Detroit is about to find itself on the cutting edge of real estate development"

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The podcast will be available tomorrow. There was a lot about the current state of brownfields and how they can be managed and developed. Many are in prime spots, and legislation and technology are just right for development of these spots. I didn't hear the who and what, but apparently there is a list at the site I posted.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MP3 file of today's show is available now:

http://www.wdetfm.org/detroitt oday/

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub11, a lot depends on the state of the auto industry and, hence, the local economy. It's all about the business cycle. Right now (past 8 years), things have slowed. But it's possible that things will improve. Or it could just be that our women are getting uglier!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or it could just be that our women are getting uglier!"

No way. Have you been to Hamtramck lately? Meeeow!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.