Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Not too sure if anyone else reported this.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5749
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the building in Capitol Park is in the beginning stages of being turned into lofts. I think it's the Farwell building? I spoke with three workers earlier this afternoon in the building whoi confirmed this. Any one else know any details?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

??1! wow.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been rumored for awhile. Nice to hear they have started it. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Detroit is still moving, albeit slowly. Of course, the old Tortoise And The Hare moral; "slow and steady win the race", lol.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6465
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice sleuthing, DS.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap. This building?
If they can bring that place back it'd be a HUGE leap forward for that block. Lots of work to do though.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got Kodachrome slides I took of the Farwell's interior c.1972. If you could see them, you'd REALLY say "holy crap". The lobby had Tiffany/Tiffany-like hanging copperfoil bowl chandeliers, and the brass and woodwork was to die for. As of 1972, the building was occupied, and EVERYTHING was intact, like a museum piece.

(Message edited by bobceng on May 02, 2008)

Bobceng

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah, not to forget the vaulted lobby ceiling with it's mosaic-work. Old man Farwell's office was also intact, and featured a HUGE moosehead behind his desk. I have black-and-white shots of that, too. I'm guessing the moosehead's probably gone along with everything else.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob-
It would be great if you had prints made of those slides and scan and post them here; I for one would love to see them.
Also, I recall hearing at one time that the chandeliers were real Tiffany, not knock offs.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, after some minor googling;
Nice ceilings!

http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/farwell/photos.html

Bobceng

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on another thread, asking for advice on converting my film into digital images. I've been given enough info to start doing this. When I get them, I'll post them for you to see. The developer might even be interested. My stuff is all copyright-free.

I was told at the time that the chandeliers were real Tiffany, but the source was the bldg. maintenance manager, so I took it with a grain of salt. When you looked at them up-close, however, the quality said "Tiffany".

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is still a Mike Higgins building, correct?

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even thought it was run down and dusty, the Farwell was an awesome building even up into the early '80s.

Was in there twice when a group of young artists were looking to do something with it. They probably made more of a mess than anything, but the interior structure of the atrium and stairs were still intact and impressive.

The artist I remember talking to at that time was working in George Pierrot's old office. Still had the former travel host's name painted on the glass of the door just as in the old movies.

Will be glad to see it occupied again.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three friends and I tried to buy the Farwell in the mid-80's. One of the guys in my group wanted the Tiffany items, including the Tiffany glass skylight, which he figured was valued at that time at around $250,000.

The owner, I believe it was Higgins at that time, refused to sell.

We heard that vandals eventually smashed the skylight and stole the other Tiffany stuff.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Is that a birch tree growing out the side of the building in two of the pictures in Diehard's first link? Very, very strange. Wow!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5751
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I checked the skylight was still intact...

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobceng, can you contact me at rjlj at hotmail.com please ?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some photos of the Farwell Building back in the good ole days with those chandeliers Bobceng was talking about. I'll post 'em when I get home.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 515
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, can you contact me at rjlj at hotmail.com please ?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lobby with the chandeliers:

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Buildings/farwell6.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.