Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Signs Of The Economic Times » Archive through April 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 882
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www2.nysun.com/article/ 75363

The worst may be yet to come....dire predictions.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never stepped into the old walmart in Livonia , I've been to the new supercenter one on Middlebelt road ,actually seemed pretty nice to me - clean , well stocked , workers were friendly . I'd still rather spend my money at Meijers though .

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7317
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

Most people will vote YES on the 2010 SMART property renewal because they want to public transit to run in their areas. Voting no will cause the SMART bus transportation services to be cancelled for good. Due to rising fuel costs these days, there will be heavy increases of ridership on most SMART bus transportation including Park and Rides and Gateway Expresses.

A YES vote will keep SMART buses running for a long time and we taxpayers will pay less by 0.5 mills a year. Last time most taxpayers voted YES in the 2006 Smart bus property tax millage, there is NO EFFECT that a proposed 2030 multi billion SEMCOG 2030 freeway expansion plans in the city of Detroit and nearby suburbs which will add over 25 miles of new lanes and you support shifting tax dollars to the wealthier outer suburbs to get rail service and more roads. That's all a bureaucratic myth! The 2010 SMART bus property tax millage is working wonder for suburban public transit. It helps save the enviroment by cutting down greenhouses emissions from cars and save money from other residents and fight the rising fuel costs. You can go ahead and vote no to bring cuts to public suburban transit so people could ride their gas guzzling cars and contribute to global warming. The rest of the people would vote YES YES YES on the SMART property tax millage.

Bobceng
Username: Bobceng

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mind_field: just read the Sun article. Do you think the prayer service they mentioned will help? It's probably going to be more effective than the current administration's efforts, although everything must really be OK because I saw on TV that Bush was happily delivering one-liners at some event yesterday.

Hopefully, their prayer for lower gas prices will prove more effective than Ella Bully-Cumming's prayer service for lower crime a couple of years back.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: job - Purdue University/Note last sentence
Project Manager II - West Lafayette - University Architect(
Job Number:
0800603)

Description

The Project Manager is responsible for managing design/construction projects, taking the lead in actively pursuing the project scope, schedule, and budget. Serve as a member of a team composed of the client, A/E firm, contractors, construction inspectors, contract managers and financial managers and other interested parties. Projects are typically characterized by:
• Budgets typically less than $5,000,000
• Often publicly bid and often require Board of Trustee or State approvals,
which involve increased attention to budgets and schedule issues
• Scopes will include all building systems and a wide variety of project types
• Duration is normally more than one year for design and construction total

Qualifications

Required:

Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design, Construction Management or a similar field.
2 Years Project Management Experience or 6 Years Experience with design, construction, project planning or project coordination.
Ability to read construction drawings.
Knowledge of building systems and construction trades.
Ability to handle complex projects.
Ability to analyze, interpret and implement university policies and procedures.
Background in general/architectural building/renovations is required.
Organizational , verbal and written skills are required.

Preferred:

Knowledge of negotiations, contract development and procurement, particularly related to public works and construction.

Additional Information:

A check of criminal conviction records will be made for employment
FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
Retirement Eligibility: TIAA/CREF Contribution Waiting Period
This posting represents multiple vacancies

Bobceng

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign of the times, near future prediction: when people start stealing cars for the gas in their tanks. (Product development suggestion: a stick-on decal that you place over your dashboard gas gauge showing a fake "needle on E".)

I wonder if car insurance will rise because they know the tank's gonna need refilling after the car is recovered...easily $200 for an SUV, probably by next year.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 995
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other signs of the times: observers say that SW Detroit is emptying out. Many Mexican residents are afraid to leave their houses to go to church, to go to the store because public venues are being targeted by the INS for rounding people up.

My wonderful neighbor left last month to travel to mexico to try to right his situation. he has a U.S.-born wife and child. He was told he can't return to the U.S. - so now they will leave, too. Holy Redeemer School is less one pupil. Our street (with two foreclosures) will have another empty house.

The vibrancy of which we were all so proud is draining out.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting, because I am presently in the process of moving from Detroit to Mexico to seek a better living and greater opportunity.

Bobceng

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about the opportunity part...how come all those Mexicans are trying to come here? I've heard that the only Americans to do well there are American retirees whose pension checks go a lot further in gated communities employing local residents. Seriously, though, I'd be interested in hearing about what kind of opportunities are available to Americans in Mexico; you might be on to something!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny

The SMART tax has indeed worked wonders because it has balanced our state budget in Lansing by stripping bus money in the city of Detroit thus depriving the low income and minorities operating subsidies that now must come from the general budgets of our city halls.

Danny, when and not if SEMCOG raises the fuel tax 9 cents a Gallon to raise over $450 Million per year will you fight them to get SMART back to Livonia?

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BobCeng, There's all kindsa opportunities in Me-he-co. I once went to Tijuana, and I saw a guy with a cart on the road selling burritos: 3 for one dollar American. He had scrawled "Taco Bell" on a piece of dirty cardboard and placed it in front of his cart. That's pure capitalism, right there.

Did I buy from this entrepreneur? Heck yes, I did. I was mighty hungry after all the cheap tequila I drank all day. The burritos were tasty too. The man carved the meat fresh off a burro's leg on a spit.

Did I get sick as an animal from eating in Mexico? Heck yes, I did. I never saw so much water come pouring out of my rear. Regardless, my point is,er,I dunno, I guess. The burritos gave me brain worms. That's what my point is.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whether to laugh or puke at that one Spacemonkey.

I WAS eating...Thanks!

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on April 29, 2008)

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love it, Spacemonkey! one time I saw a woman in a Mexican fishing village, a non-Mexican, who walked the main beach all day selling chocolate covered bananas..."chocobanana" she called it. also, hmmm, how about teaching English as a foreign language? I have thought about that. I love Mexico!!

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One sign of the times is the number of Michigan tags that are showing up in our parking lots here in Atlanta.

Bobceng

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey, you've got me sold! I'm putting my house up for sale today, packing the van and heading to Mexico. I plan to open a stand next to the guy with the burritos, selling chocolate-covered Kaopectate tablets to the touristas.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're a man with a vision and the courage to follow through. I respect that.

Maybe we can be business partners south of the border. HEMI engines are made in Mexico. Maybe we can sell tacos to the line workers there in Salito.

Bobceng

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping with the line of the thread, we can have our own sign: "Taco Hell...make a run for the bathroom."

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I ate that food in TJ, I got a fever and the shakes; like I caught the flu.

I called my doctor and told him I couldn't get off the terlit. He laughed at me and said that was my system getting rid of the bacteria. He said I should avoid eating food in TJ again. I agreed.

It was a sign of the times.

Bobceng

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign of the times: Big-3 finally ratcheting-down the production of BIG SUVs and pickup trucks. It's too bad that a couple of thousand auto workers are going to have to pay the price for GM's lack of planning and foresight.

Hopefully, the automakers are doing this because the handwriting is on the wall for gas guzzlers, and not just because of the American Axle strike.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roll over SUV and play dead. Your time has come and gone.

Speaking of GM just posted a 3.3 billion loss and they are cutting more jobs. They need to cut the pay of the higher in the food chain at GM maybe that would help with their lossess.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost half of that loss came from GMAC.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cut the pay of the executives....what are you talking about? Rick Wagoner only made $14.5M last year. Rumor has it, his kids are going to have to start brown baggin' it.

Seriously though, it a dual edged sword. Look at the money athletes and entertainers make. And what do they contribute to the region / economy? CEO's should definately be compensated more than Brittney Spears. Then again, these same execs are asking everyone to take pay cuts. Its seems quite hypocritical to accept a raise for yourself.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30 days ago, I interviewed at GM for a job in the marketing department. I haven't heard back from them yet. What gives? Was my position sliced?

Bobceng

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they've read the posts about your Mexican culinary adventures and figure you'd cost too much to insure.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaah, too true, Bob. Too true.

Perhaps they don't want the likes of me stinkin' up their halls.

(I need a job though)

Bobceng

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign of the times, Philosophy Division: being afraid to quote that old Chinese guy who said "may you live in interesting times" because it can get you curb-stomped.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you make a valid point. Times are indeed interesting. Sure, beats the 90's. What a boring decade that was. 70's and 80's were fun though, with the punk rock and all.

Sign of the times: Harmony House is out of business.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another sign of the times: Increase in xenophobia.

Bobceng

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that where you have a fear of warrior princesses?

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that time she sang at the Red Wings game and her top slipped down?

That was awesome.