Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Some toys from when I was a kid » Archive through April 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these people had Dawn dolls? I only got a Tony Orlando action figure.

Ba-dum-tsh! :-)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my favorite Christmas present ever.
The Johnny Seven One Man Army Gun.
image/bmpJohnny Seven One Man Army Gun
J7OMA___.bmp (43.7 k)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sting Puppets

From the Howdy Doody show.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the Johnny Seven gun too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BuvqPMWv8YU&feature=related

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Ragtoplover59 !

I was trying to find some photos that show the turn signal lights working, can't seem to locate them. I asked Mom where they bought it and she said it might have been purchased in Somerset Pennsylvania before we moved here. It seems to have been an East Coast grocery chain promotion, not in stores, but my Aunt seems to think she saw them here too. I've still got the original box and apparently very few of them survived intact. It was one of the coolest toys of it's time. It's got an ignition key to turn on the motor, the horn works by pressing the steering wheel, the steering wheel moves the speedometer, the windshield wipers work, the turn signals click and directional lights blink, the cigarette lighter pops in and out, the knobs all work for the radio, clock, fuel and temp gauges, gear shift works, brake handle, sun visors go up and down, antenna up and down, rear view mirror, etc. It's 24" wide, 12" deep and 14" high - substantial size for a toy! Sucks down 8 D batteries pretty fast. There were some decals included to put on the windshield. I remember vividly imitating my father driving the Pennsylvania Turnpike in awful winter storms, trying to put tissues under the wiper blades to clean the windshield. Pops could drive us between Somerset and Detroit within 6 hours and no tickets!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz-Johnson Smith was locatd in an old post office, on E.Warren and E.Outer Drive, here on the east side.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Elgo Skyine building blocks?

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, Mr. Kelly's Car Wash?

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Remco 40mm PomPom gun. Still see them on e-bay every now and then.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup dtctygrl, I loved my baby dolls too. I wanted to copy/paste the green dress from a Dawn Doll site, but I couldn't. Mom still has them at her house and as full as my house is I think I'll let her keep them for a while. She has my baby dolls too, and one time about 15 years ago I smelled one of the dolls heads and it just about made me swoon with memories! I never had children of my own, but based on how I doted over those baby dolls I bet my own would have been just about the most spoiled children on the planet!

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite games in 1961 was Video Village - anyone else like that one?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic,

I've never seen that game (born a bit too late, I guess), but the word video seems too new to be on an old game, doesn't it? I never even said the word video when I was a kid.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath,

You know, it was actually a TV game show with a 2 year run I believe. It was a life-size game board where the contestants walked around the board. The Bradley game was a miniaturized but pretty close with a bird cage for rolling the die. It was very cool and fun both on TV and board game. I suppose the name came from being "videotaped" for broadcast? It is somewhat intricate for a board game!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, according to IMdb this board game is a collector's item now. I just read all about it.

Do you still play it? Is it fun?

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've pulled it out a few times at gatherings and it seems people like the retro 1960 thing - it's got some fun "tasks" to do like "stand and rub your tummy with one hand and the top of your head with the other hand". That reminds of "Twister"!
You can be put in the jail cell, go over a bridge, something like "Life" too. I especially liked it on tv myself. I discovered it's collectible when I tried to replace a piece. It's hard to find and sometimes goes for BIG $'s.

(Message edited by classicyesfan on April 04, 2008)

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another retro 1960 game I've kept all these years:

Bridg-It (early precursor to Connections, players attempt to place a continuous connected path of bridges from one colored end of the board to the opposite end of the same color while blocking their opponent from doing the same.)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5004
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we had the Video Village board game and I remember those strangly-colored orange $20 bills and watching it on TV too. I remember the red and white walkways and the jail cell too, but not much else. It was fun. We played it alot.

Video Village

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 04, 2008)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Backyard 'Nam was fun when you had beer can bazookas, bottle rocket mortars, M-80's, Cherry bombs, Red Devil lighter fluid flame throwers,giant magnifying glasses and plenty of AMT model cars, Revell model airplanes and plenty of plastic army men and a 1959 Barbie liberated from your sister.

Jimaz

Post Number: 5005
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just occurred to me that many of these obscure, forgotten games could be not-too-difficultly resurrected on the web. Hmmmm.

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 04, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a real Polaris sub, actually bought by a person!
I could not upload the pic - sorry.

HERE

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, you hit the nail on the head with that find! Not only is the Sub there,
but also,
Classicyesfan's car toy, I found it in the toy section, a few pics down and up on the top shelf.

Here are the pics,
Original "Sub" ad

and what you got, although not as streamline, still could have been worth the $6. well maybe lol

and Classicyesfan's Car

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the pictures of the sub's, I'm not sure that they have the nose and tail parts in the right places?
and the rudders not completely assembled, Dad probably threw that thing together in a hurry to get little Tommy to be quiet. lol

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on April 06, 2008)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an airplane cockpit toy with the same concept as the Playmobile. I remember it having a projection system that showed silouettes of planes on a wall, and you "shot" at them with suction darts that you fired from your plane.

BTW, anyone mention Silly Putty yet?

Jimaz

Post Number: 5021
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stadium Checkers

The marbles roll from ring to ring toward the center but only when the slots align properly.

You must be careful that your decision to turn any ring one way or the other does not advance your opponent's marbles more than your own.

Wise words in any situation.

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 07, 2008)

Jimaz

Post Number: 5022
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From about 5/7ths the way down the enormous page linked to above by Bigb23:
quote:

The drama culminates when the surviving kid, now grown up and detained by the cops, finally delivers his bitter monologue to Larry's face...
"I was unsure that [the submarine] would do all the things that you said that it could, but [my friend] was sure that it would work. Sam knew that it would work because Laughing Larry said it would. So why wouldn't it?
You know what you forgot to tell us? That Sam had to know how to swim.
[This is the actual dialogue folks.]
I lost my best friend and I swore that I would never read comic books again, or let my own son read comic books or play with toys or play with other kids. So I kept him in the house around the clock. I was just too afraid that my little boy was going to get hurt."

Oh, yeah, his wife recently got custody of his son thanks to his freakish overprotectiveness which prompted him to try to kill Larry. The End. Ahem....

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't own stadium checkers, but now that you posted the picture I remember loving to play that in elementary school. School also had the Bridg-it game.
My school had a couple pairs of wooden stilts. Those were very cool. We got to use them in gym class. We also had to have races in the gym on those triangular stool things with wheels (general pandemonium ensued.)
My best friend had Guess Who (a board game that I have still seen around recently) and Mystery Date (oh yes, we all thought the "Dreamboat" was a dork and the "Dud" was a doll -- sheesh! like a little grease won't wash off!)

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to get into these toys as a kid too in Popular Mechanics .In the back they always had adds for this kind of junk. http://www.members.hopkinsvill e.net/geomac
Saved up and sent away for the Pee-Wee radio, All it was a crystal radio in a little case. Pissed me off. Still had to hook up a ground and an antenae. Some pocket radio this was???
There was a store down near Hudsons that used to sell crystal radios and the like. pretty neat place. On Broadway ,I think.
Also I sent away for a Kruger pistol, that looked just like a German Luger and fired bb's via the use of a cap from a roll of caps. You pulled back on the cocking lever, put in a bb down the barrel, tore one cap portion from a roll of caps and inserted this in front of the chamber where the bb was at the end of the barrel. Pulled the trigger and it set off. The charge in the cap enough to shoot the bb out. Worth some amount of money now. The reason that there isn't too many around now is that the cap was corrosive and rusted out the chamber on the pistol, if it wasn't cleaned after shooting. As a kid, who thought of cleaning??

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, Mystery Date - loved playing that! The dream boat was a dork! lol

Also, my brother made a pair of stilts. We had to climb on them from the top of the porch stoop I think! Ragtoplover59 should have some pics of those somewhere. As I remember he got "real" stilts and I got a pogo stick. He then made stilts out of scrap wood.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link I found for that WHam-o/Kruger bb pistol. It looks like Kruger was selling these on their own, and then WHam-o must have bought them out.
http://www.thehighroad.org/sho wthread.php?t=219380

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz -

Went back to that blog and read some more. It would have a lot of memories for the posters on this thread, and plenty of funny musings and pics.

Re: The Polaris sub -the owner from the above pic
says -

"I remember this as being a pretty cool toy. It had a little mirror periscope and you could fire the torpedoes and missiles. They shot out using a rubber band sling shot built in. Being immobile it was a bit difficult to aim, but if the dog or my brother happened to pass by the front of the sub... POW! Got em." :-)