Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hash Bash in Grand Circus Park! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone go to the legalize marijuana rally in GCP on Saturday? We spent the whole day in the park cooking out. They had some great live music and there was a decent crowd, mainly Libertarians and hippies. I wish they had an event in the park like that every weekend...

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will definitely be voting no on the use of "medical" marijuana. I can't stand potheads as it is.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah thats just what Detroit needs. A huge demonstration of lawlessness. That'll help our image..not.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not just trying to stir the pot here, but what difference would medical marijuana make, as compared to medical opiates? You can get morphine, demerol, codeine, etc, legally prescribed for medical conditions. Why not pot?
If it's efficacious for the problem, what makes it so much more taboo?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Displays like that are exactly what Detroit needs. Detroit needs more politically and socially active people. Political demonstrations are the bellwether of a strong and vibrant society.

What is more concerning is that this demonstration was only a couple hundred people. Other cities attract many, many more.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7745
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone educate me here.

What's wrong with making marijuana legal for medicinal use?

I'm under the assumption that if it were to be legalized, it would only be able to prescribed by a licensed medical doctor and NOT available to the general public for consumption. I think Jcole's argument makes sense- it's not about opening the door to let abusers run rampant; it's about using it to ease a known ailment, right?

What is the argument against using a substance to help patients who are suffering? Or is it people see this as the gateway to it being legalized for all? Again, educate me on this topic. I'm not and have never been a user but from a casual observer of seeing people who could benefit from marijuana, I'm perplexed to the opposition of it.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 793
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll preface this by saying I don't smoke pot, and I'm strongly in the caffeine and alcohol use camp (mostly caffeine, lately).

The biggest difference between alcohol and other drug bans is the social taboo of it all.

Marijuana is still "taboo" yet I've seen plenty of anti-pot people smoke down - or anti-drug people be cokeheads. It's the sad hypocrisy of it all - but that's people for you. It's always shades of gray.

That said, I believe that we're going towards banning smoking all together - it's already expensive and functionally difficult. I was looking into health insurance for a smoker, and it was over double what it is for me. It's an expensive habit now, not just in cigarettes but the societal costs.

As soon as the economics change where there aren't as many folks in Virginia and tobacco-producing states dependent on it, it'll go the same way as pot.

Many jobs now require testing for pot - if anything, despite the arguments to contrary, I see a future of more regulation, not less.

Politically, save in a few areas, supporting marijuana legalization is suicide. Until it's no longer political suicide to support it, the legalization crowd will make little progress.

So in short - I do think that people should do what they want to do in the privacy of their own homes. The reality is, however, we're a nation that likes to do the impossible.. legislate morality.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't addressing the legalize weed issue. Rather the "let's all get together and break the law" crowd.

Mortking, I strongly disagree. Further, I'd bet 80% of the people that were there, don't live in Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4726
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, it's mostly taboo.

You should either restrict everything with negative consequences, or legalize everything that isn't going to kill you (or have major, immediate effects on your neighbors) after one use, and let people be responsible for their own actions. Smoking cigarettes is legal in spite of the huge health consequences to people who come in contact with it, and all the people who don't smoke but have to pay the price (through taxes or through high medical care costs) of their stupid decisions. So should cigarettes be banned? Maybe, or maybe they should be legal but there should be major disincentive for using them, and a system of medical fees and taxation that punishes people who use them and brings down costs for non-users. Perhaps the same should go for pot.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not smoke but i think pot should be legalized, but just taxed the hell out of though, i mean almost the entire city smokes pot anyway.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasnt there but I can just imagine the "lawlessness" that went on. Im calling my local church to see what I can do about these people. They all need to be locked up.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4730
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, man. I just saw some of the hash bash that happened in Ann Arbor recently, and lawlessness wasn't really the word that came to mind (and this gathering is HUGE, and an annual event, by the way). It's just a rally with a lot of scary people who are relics of the 1960s-70s mostly. Then they go off-campus to city property (where weed is basically decriminalized) and smoke a bit. Nobody got hurt. I'm not exactly itching to join this folks, but they certainly shouldn't be locked up.

If anyone should be locked up under our current system which makes marijuana illegal, it should be high-level dealers and distributors.

I like Umbound's idea. He/she should take some public expenditures/revenue courses in college.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grow up and do coke like an adult!

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Clinton never Inhaled, I've never Exhaled. What this election campaign of 2008 needs is a politico who runs on the platform, "What this Country Needs is a good 5 Cent reefer".

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure take your son or daughter and explain to them that this activity against the law, but it's ok because you think it should be legal. And then when they break the law, what will you say?

(Message edited by Sstashmoo on May 04, 2008)

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government won't allow Native Americans to grow hemp plants as a natural resource for making rope because of their disproportionate zeal in promoting the eradication of the plant.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SStashmoo,
I seriously doubt even those totally for the legalization of marijuana would do that. Why in the world would anyone tell their kids "this is illegal, but I don't think it should be so it's OK" ? Does anyone do that? Young kids don't have the capacity to understand adult issues, so adult issues shouldn't be brought up! T(w)eenage kids want to hear anything BUT their parents opinions, and college-age kids usually have formed their own opinions.

(Message edited by alley on May 04, 2008)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5037
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not allowing people to grow a fiber that can be made into rope or clothing shows that there is some sort of irrational hysteria surrounding the issue.

"take your son or daughter and explain to them that this activity against the law"

Then explain to them that the country was founded by people breaking the law, that lawbreakers helped people escape from slavery, that prohibition was ended because people broke the law, that segregation was (partly) ended by people breaking the law...

If a few hundred people break a law, they are probably doing something wrong. If tens of thousands of people break a law, perhaps it's the law that's wrong.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 583
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great way to spend the rest of day in jail. What a bust!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Not allowing people to grow a fiber that can be made into rope or clothing shows that there is some sort of irrational hysteria surrounding the issue. "

The fact we haven't legalized it the same as most of the freeworld has not, gives substance to the notion that it shouldn't be. The fact that parents feel it's ok to break the law and their children should understand that is further proof. Any other great ideas? :-)

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Encourage the children to be good Hitler Youths and turn in their parents.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5038
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The fact we haven't legalized it the same as most of the freeworld has not, gives substance to the notion that it shouldn't be. "

Let's see...There's Austria, Australia, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Great Britain....umm, looks like most of the freeworld allows hemp cultivation....

http://azhemp.org/Archive/Pack age/Countries/countries.html

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and even if they didn't, no one buys the "everybody else IS doing it" argument, so why would the "everybody else ISN'T doing it" argument be any better?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5283
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent detnews article: Michigan to vote on legalizing marijuana for medical use.

Arizona (or maybe it was just Maricopa County) voters voted in favor of medical marijuana a few years ago but nothing came of it. It may have had something to do with federal conflict. I'm not sure. What ticked me off is why did they put it on the ballot at all if it would have no effect? The whole thing smelled fishy.

Django

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I was joking. See thread on cops carrying assault weapons. Similar debate going on there. Only were talking drugs in general.

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet you were all rambunctious when you were young. Hey Django let me know when you're going to tell your church what horrible atrocities are going on in Detroit. I will be sure to join along minus the joining along.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marijuana kills!

here's proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MKDufIJLDmk&feature=related

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12603
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django IS his own church, whaddya mean?

We should want less fish and more skunk.

Many countries have signed onto the anti-hemp mania in order to qualify for International Monetary Fund loans and other 'guarantees' of free market capitalism along with their favorable leanings towards American corporations, of course.

Nothing more...even the Netherlands must carry the laws on their books to be a member of a few key international groups. They simply choose NOT to enforce the less logical ones. Good for them.

Most police officers do the very same thing here, unless there is a 9 million dollar bill to pay and they want the populace to be as mad at the mayor as they.

Cheers

(Django...same e-mail and I just cleared the voice mails...or knock on my window. Same address there, too.)

Django

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gannon.
I knew we were somehow paying countries off to back us up by keeping drugs illegal around the world, but you my man have explained it in better detail.
Ill swing by, or try the E again.

Jimaz

Post Number: 5284
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, heh. YouTube has a low quality copy of Reefer Madness (duration 68 minutes).

I wish all propaganda would backfire as thoroughly as this one.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do not smoke but i think pot should be legalized, but just taxed the hell out of though, i mean almost the entire city smokes pot anyway."

I agree. There's no reason pot shouldn't be legal and regulated. Tax it and put the money to good use. While you're at it, legalize the sale of alcohol on Sunday mornings and Christmas Day. That's a huge violation of separation of church and state. I wouldn't have a problem paying more tax on alcohol if I wasn't told by an archaic law when I could and could not buy it.

Django

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice point Melody, on the alcohol that is. the pot also. Tax it, tax the hell out of it, I dont care. Does it not make sense to tax it rather than pay out by putting ppl in jail for the possession of a goddamn weed.
I like your thinkin Melody.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11610
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too easy to grow - people would grow their own and the tax revenue would be limited. I believe that is a large reason why it is illegal.

If marijuana were hard to cultivate it would be legal. Of course the US government and many citizens did a hell of a job in portraying marijuana users as crazy, black folks that were out to rape white women.

The US government has made a joke of themselves with their anti-marijuana policies and propoganda. I know very many self made people that are very, very well all and the vast majority spent some time enjoying marijuana.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me, I'd rather have us ingesting something that grows in the ground than the synthetic crap that fills our fridges and medicine cabinets these days. That's probably among the government's motives in keeping the stuff illegal and socially unacceptable--they can't force us to buy it from Merck and Pfizer if anyone can grow it at home.
But a hodgepodge of chemicals and synthetic sweeteners like, say, Diet Coke? By all means, drink up! :P

ETA: Apparently Jt1 and I were thinking the same thing at the same time. Funny how that works.

(Message edited by BearInABox on May 04, 2008)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 629
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, maybe the reason for the low turnout in GCP was lack of publicity? I certainly had no idea it was happening, and might well have attended if I'd known about it far enough in advance.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,
I attended a triple bill at the Cass Ave. Unitarian Church during the early 1970's. The three features showing were "Reefer Madness",the Douglas Fairbanks Jr. silent cocaine classic "The Mystery of the Leaping Fish", where Mr. Fairbanks played the hop-head detective "Coke Enyday" and a U.S propaganda short called "The Deadly Menace." All were viewed under a heavy haze of hemp smoke in the auditorium.

Kinda makes me wanna go up to Mae's Place. I here she gives real swell tea parties.

Jimaz

Post Number: 5285
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from the marijuana angle, the government continues even today their vain attempt to propagandize U.S. citizens despite the blatant illegality of the process.

Witness the recent PBS NewsHour report:

Pentagon Propaganda

Pentagon Propaganda

Jimaz

Post Number: 5286
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =l_e8Fsw4jls&NR=1

http://www.freepress.net/

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive known that, about the loss of tax revenue, because its not heroin, cocaine or meth where its extremely difficult and dangerous to make. This is just weed, where any person with seeds can grow instead of paying a lot for pot, and prices would vary depending on what kind of pot it is if it was legal.

Jimaz

Post Number: 5287
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ring of Fire's Weekly News Vol. 8

Ring of Fire's Weekly News Vol. 8
quote:

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Mike Papantonio run down this week's stories that the mainstream media missed, including Fox News still using the "Pentagon Pundits" and the Supreme Court's ruling that states can require photo IDs from voters.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating and scary, Jimaz. Thanks for posting. What happened to the coverage of the "Supreme Court's ruling that states can require photo IDs from voters," though? I'd be interested to hear about that.

Django

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 says "Too easy to grow - people would grow their own and the tax revenue would be limited. I believe that is a large reason why it is illegal".
Tobacco is easy enough to grow also. Id bet there would be plenty of tax to collect if it wee regulated. The fact that its illegal has made it such a commodity. Hell 2 years ago it was worth the price of gold (an ounce of the "kind bud" went for $400 an ounce). Take the huge profit out of it, tax it like hell and do something productive with the revenue instead of building more prisons. Again I say everyone interested in this debate, check out the thread on DPD carrying assault weapons. Im all with ya Jt1 for all you said, just not on the "grow your own" thing,

BinBox, you go, im all with ya. and I would have been there at the GCP as well if Id known about it. BTW, I havnt smoked in quite a long time.

Jimaz, nice post, very interesting propaganda their feeding us. Makes you wonder how long the ppl will put up with the sh** they feed us.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7750
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still want to know why people can't seem to separate legalizing MEDICAL marijuana from the casual use of marijuana.

If they're worried about controlling it (seems that way), then leave it in the hands of the medical professionals to dispense it like they would any other drug. They seem to be doing a pretty spiffy job of monitoring things like codeine, morphine, etc. already.

Makes sense to me.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't medical marijuana already legal in Detroit...

Smogboy

Post Number: 7751
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly only 12 states have laws allowing medical marijuana but the Feds still have the right to regulate and criminalize marijuana, so for all intents and purposes... no, smoking marijuana in Detroit, even for medical purposes is still a no-no.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a day without weed is like... a day without alcohol!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And people think the mixed drinks or wine I like at $7-$25 at a swanky place are expensive - geez, I don't feel too bad now :-)

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah thats just what Detroit needs. A huge demonstration of lawlessness. That'll help our image..not."

No "lawlessness" at this event, Sstashmoo, but that was a good attempt to put a negative spin on an extremely positive event...that is soooo DetroitYes!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it against the law or not? Just because it was peaceful doesn't mean it was legal. Illegal Pot-party's will never rebuild Detroit.

I could care less about the drugs, I'm challenging the notion that it's a positive thing in regards to a city's image for people to amass and engage in an illegal activity.

Django

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, I dont think the idea was to gather in the park and cause "lawlessness" it was a peaceful demonstration to bring attention to the fact that marijuana should be rescheduled, decriminalized, or outright legalized. Ive been to my share of these"lawless pot rallies" there is not a whole lot of smoking going on. Next year why dont you head down with your D.A.R.E shirt on, make yourself a big sign saying "jail all pot users" and make yourself useful for your cause.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how popular this will make me but even as a retired cop I feel it should be legalized. If I pulled someone over when I was on the road and they only had enough for personal use I would never bust them.

I am the only person going back 5 generations of my family who is not an alcoholic. My father due to drinking lost a business grossing a million bucks a year, thought I was the family punching back growing up and abused my mother. I've known people smoking the weed for 30-40 years and they are just as smart as we are.

In my entire career I never had to fight someone who was high from smoking pot. I had lots of folks who had screw top courage from booze. It grows naturally, modern medicine has all kinds of chemical compounds, side effects but FDA says it's ok.

Anything stronger than pot I think should have tougher penalties though.

Django

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617, while I dont agree with your last sentence. I completely agree with what your saying. I would think more cops would have the same understanding. The same with judges working in the system. They must be sick of putting ppl away for non violent drug crimes.
Rid, I started a thread,I believe its "are the DPD carrying assault weapons on a regular basis now?" its gone in the same direction as this thread far as drugs go. Would like to hear your opinion, actually would like the debate with a retired cop. check it out.

(Message edited by django on May 06, 2008)

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious about this 'Hash Bash'- is there any hash around Detroit? I've read about domestic (Canadian) pollen hash being pressed in wholesale quantities in British Columbia, but that seems so labour-intensive the cost must be insane. I've been told hash is virtually non-existent in the States, and plenty of Americans I've met here (at shows, etc) have confirmed this.
One reason hash is still so popular here (Eastern Canada) is a lot of folks can burn some at work, and unlike weed, the smell dissipates quickly. Not speaking personally of course, my job requires I be straight and not show up smelling like Cheech or Chong, so I'm smoking nasty cigarettes again these days.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12624
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't seen hash around these parts since 1997 or so.

Haven't looked for it, the stuff just usually showed in the 'holiday bonus menu' from many of the sources...they seem to always pull out the better stuff around December.

I've always wondered about that...

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hash Bash is a something of a misnomer; the words ryhme....hence, the title stuck.

Weed Fest...Endo Bendo...Chronic Platonic...Joint Point - just isn't catchy enough

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about giving out baked goods and renaming it the Weed Feed? Sorry, I couldn't resist..! We used to see Moroccan tiles come in around Christmas, just like Moroccan clementines... things that make you go 'Hmm'? I don't think it came through this year, but Canada's biggest and longest running hash importing family (Irish Canadians in the south end of Montreal who more or less run the port there; this is all well documented and public knowledge) has been in jail and other trouble over the last few years.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto....I hear what you're writing.
We have a chain of stores around here (SW Ohio), very similar to "Pier One".

These stores are chock-full of seemingly inane and questionable imported goods.

Strangely....the stores smell like ether & acetone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.