Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Amazing Eaton/Broderick Tower video « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is amaaaaaazing. See video of the construction of the Eaton Tower/David Broderick Tower (the whale mural building).
The ironworkers are literally balancing on beams 30 floors up as they install girders. Simply incredible. Plus, as a bonus, there's a dancing flapper. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR?
Link:
http://www.lib.wayne.edu/resou rces/digital_library/det_news/ video.php?vid=3R2_03

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That whole series of Detroit News film clips from the 1920's is amazing. There's about 300 of them.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4729
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for sharing! Amazing to see the Broderick and other nearby buildings under construction, and to see the bustling city below in the background.

You see how much effort and risk was put into building these amazing old skyscrapers (let alone any old building), and it should really make you want to preserve them. Not only are they beautiful and a testament to our history, but they are feats of engineering and labor. Not that building a building in 2008 isn't hard to do, but it was even harder then (and the results tended to be of such greater quality).

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thread on the videos somehow got forgotten:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/136973.html

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't mean to stiff ya, Jsmyers. (That's what she said.)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing those links! The guys that built the Detroit skyscrapers weren't called "Men of Steel" for nothing. I did not detect a single safety harness in the bunch. They had to have had nerves of steel!

And I enjoyed watching the possible "1st Dream Cruise" video! :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5372
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks so much for sharing. Whenever I see an old film clip from that time period, it is usually from NYC or Chicago.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 795
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you guys also want to see a newsreel loop, I was at the Detroit Historical museum this weekend and there was a great one - some of the clips of the Penobscot are amazing as it looks like anything you'd see in NY or Chicago.

I wish more people would go (or even know about) the historical museum - they had a thing on Parducci too, but I think they could of had some more photos, etc.

The old theatre signs on the 3rd floor are amazing, too :-)

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good stuff!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 7 part PBS documentary "New York" by Ric Burns had some amazing film of the Empire State Building construction. Watching those guys 100 stories up with icicles hanging off their faces as the winter winds nearly blew them off the beam. Meanwhile the steel was still warm, having been shipped from Pennsylvania the night before.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How cool! Thanks for the link, Rymeswithrawk! I had forgotten the Reuther has video as well as photos and archived documents. Think I like the “old and new” shots of Detroit, and that precarious-looking balloon ride, the best. Til I get to the next page.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.