Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Church of Scientology downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know whats going on with that, is there progress? I am not a scientologist or anything and no offense to anybody on here that is. but is there even enough here in the region to attend?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there one in Southfield? I never knew they were going to open shop in Detroit. Where would be their HQ?

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raymond James building.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scientologists have a building on the northeast corner of Middlebelt/12 Mile Road, on Middlebelt just north of the gas station.

Markopolo
Username: Markopolo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scientologists use to have a downtown Detroit facility in the 1970s and early 1980s. They were located on the west side of Griswold between Lafayette and Fort.

Umbound

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they purchased a building a year ago on the corner of Jefferson and Griswold i think. i remember seeing the article on the front page of the free press. I think now it would be pretty neat to have another religious institution downtown, rather than in the 70's, with all the development now, just adds more people.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes--as Matt already pointed out, the Raymond James Building.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they used to have one in Royal Oak a couple blocks east of downtown. They're not there anymore though.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't noticed any activity at the Raymond James Building. Not sure whats going on.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other city and I'd be glad to see the Scientologists exiled to the far suburbs (as they were when they lost their lease on a downtown place in the city I used to live in). Here in Detroit, though, I'd be glad to see them set up shop downtown -- the city needs more weird activity, most of the locals don't have enough money for Scientology to try to scam them, and it'd be great to have more of the folks they _do_ want to scam coming downtown. Hell, maybe some local scammers could pick up some cash off of them while they were in town to give money to the Scienos.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6450
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fmstack, are you saying Scientology is the onliest scam in the name of religion?

jjaba.

Umbound

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt know it was the Raymond James Building my bad.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

religious adaptive reuse ... a Detroit tradition ...

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, say I have a vision of Aliens next week and decide to start a religion based on that, and then decide the Most Holy Temple of Stilton Cheese Orb will be located on the very spot of my home, and the Aliens in my head told me that as holder of the great key, I must maintain my residence in the great tabernacle....Can I stop paying taxes?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, if enough people believe you.

Wow, the Raymond James Building. That is a very prominent (and probably expensive) location. Good to see them downtown I guess.

All the talk I do about judging others, I won't comment on these folks (plus I've heard to many horror stories about what happens to people who criticize them).

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they got it 4 a cool 3.25 mil. It is probably an investment. They have so much money they have to put it somewhere. BTW, it is a cult business not a religion.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW, it is a cult business not a religion.

Easy with the name calling. There was a time when Christianity was considered a cult. While I may not believe what they believe it is hard to argue with their right to exist.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus knowing the church of Scientology they will probably sue you and get this site shut down just because they were mentioned.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6915
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm.... wonder if that's what happened to that "other" website... or maybe Steve Yzerman saw his name and Avatar on that site and sued to get it shut down... don't know really...

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the limited info that i read about scientology seems kinda strange and far fetched, but the again, the stories that belong to monotheisim are just as far fetched.

i welcome them to downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.