Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Grosse pointe north high school » Archive through April 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have kids attending Parcells or Brownell now?

Brownell class of 1980

Etxray
Username: Etxray

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop,

I had Mr. Smith (T Smitty) for civics, although I am the youngest of 6 kids that went to GPN and am sure one of them had him.

Apple,

I have a 7th grader at Brownell. It is a great school.

Applesauce

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Etx, thats what we've heard. Unfortunately, I've heard the opposite of Parcells & thats where we
currently are slated to go. I have 2 kids at Monteith (3rd & K) & have nothing but great things to say about it. If the housing market comes back at all I think we'll be coming to the Farms.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Etxray & Apple, both of my kids went to Monteith and then on to Brownell. Great school. They could have gone to Parcells, but we didn't care for the enrollment. We live in the Woods. The principle, Dr Dibb prides himself on knowing every kids name. That's impressive.

Applesauce

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Servite, we had Neighborhood Club Flag Football at Brownell this past fall & it brought back a lot of memories. I went to Brownell in 1979-1980 for 8th grade & have fond memories. It looks like the place hasnt changed a bit. I remember Mr. Woodhouse, complete with Brownell beanie.

We actually live in Harper Woods & on one of two or three streets that can attend Monteith, & believe me, my taxes reflect this as well! My son is in 3rd grade now & hopefully by the time 5th grade comes, the market will be a little more stable & a move might be possible. It does seem like I'm seeing more "sold" signs in the area.

Btw, I worked for St. Juliana/St. John Berchmans helping to close-up Servite HS the summer before I went to college (1988). What a great school it must've been.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce, was that Jack Woodhouse? If so, it's my sad duty to tell you he passed away a little over a year ago. His sons and I were friends and attended the same University in Arkansas (Harding University)

I worked for Jack one year. He was headmaster of Luckett Academy in Royal Oak. Jack was a wonderful man.

Applesauce

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jack Woodhouse. I'm sorry to hear the news. He was strict, but fair & I always respected him.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember kids waiting till Jack Woodhouse was on the other side of the room, or waiting till he had his back turned and then they would try and make Chinese throwing stars in metals class. They would almost always get busted as if they didn't clean the metal sparks would fly everywhere. The new guy there is Sam, and he also teaches at South.

"Anyone got the inside scoop on whats going on at North/Parcells now?"
Applesauce, Parcells is not the same as it use to be, Brownell is night and day difference. Parcells can be a wild place at times. North is still holding it's own, but it might change when all of these troublemakers move into it from Parcells. One parent told me after we moved to the farms from the woods that her sons friends were not planning on going to college, so they didn't want to do the school work, only have a good time. I have spent time in all of the schools I have talked about.

On a side note Applesauce, if you can unload your house and you are interested. We moved to Houston in August and have bought a house down here while we had good credit. Since then we have not sold our house up there and the bank kept saying they would work with us if we needed it. When we asked the mortgage company to work with us they did a 180 and said no because we were up to date with our payments. This is the second month we have not made a payment and we are hoping to do a short sale if we withhold paying them. We just got a new realtor who specializes in short sales. Our house is in the Farms two to three blocks from the lake (depending which way you take), 1250 square foot ranch. Three years ago it was appraised at 243K, eight months ago it was appraised at 215K. We just want to gone so we can do things down here and we hope to blow it out in the 125 to 150 range. We redid the inside, blowing out the kitchen, opening it up by taking out three main area walls, adding granite counters and made the living area into a big L shape. I flew up for the night in January and walked through it thinking "it's so nice, this market just sucks"

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

harsensis, don't see any ranch homes on the MLS right now, is the property currently listed

125 to 150 range is just up our price range, would love to see the house.....

and gpn 86

had mr. gwinnell, but then you know that postbob, brother in law.......

Harsensis

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is going to be back on the market shortly. We had it off the market trying to lease it for the last few months. That was one of the reasons we fired the leasing company and are switching realtors, it was suppose to be listed in the MLS. It will be a great deal for somebody, just not for us since we bought only three years ago and our mortgage still reflects the pre drop value.

I went to Brownell and then to South 88

Applesauce

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsenis,

Thanks for the info. I've heard similar things about Parcells & I'm concerned about it. I've got 2.5 years to think about it.

I know youre pain as far as selling your home. I listed my home 2 years ago & didnt get one offer. I'm in Harper Woods close to Ghesquire Park. Its the nicest area in HW with all nice brick ranches & immaculate lawns. I helped a neighbor with her snow a few days ago and asked her how her home sale was going. She told me she pulled it off the market after 1 year & no real offers. She originally had it listed for $189,000 & was hoping to get $160,000. She proceeded to tell me that she recently spoke to a realtor that specialized in our area. He told her he would list her property for $130,000 & any more than that would be a waste of his time. Now, her home is nicer than mine & if you can get a nice home in GP Farms in the $150,000 range, what does that say about my area? Depressing to say the least.

They say you have to ride this thing out, but I'm not sure it will ever come back? I fear I'll be looking at a short sale too. Yeah, Its funny how the Mort Co's will only work with you if youre in default??? Its almost beneficial to not make the payments, save all of that money & make them kick you out. Yes, your credit takes a hit, but it can take up to 1 year to foreclose. I know a few people that have handed the keys over to the bank as well, and is not supposed to be as hard on your credit. I dont believe I would ever do either of these things, but I can see why some people do.

After the headline in the paper today regarding the loss of pop in our area, I can see why you moved to Texas. Good luck with the sale of your home.

Harsensis

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the area will come back, but it will take a long time. We were planning on staying in that house for a number of years, but then my wife thought she could advance her career much quicker in a different state. We moved to Houston and the people here have no idea how bad it really is around the country, the market here is thriving. We are still keeping our cottage in Michigan, but I still feel like I am more a Detroiter than a Texan. If our mortgage wasn't so high I would try to hold onto the house and wait it out, but as it stands now, we are just throwing money into a hole. Hopefully somebody will get a good deal on a nice house. One of my wife's cousins lives right in your area, they are in HP but their kids go to Montieth.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A guy from GPN asked me to his prom in 1974. It was at the War Memorial....so beautiful!

Applesauce

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it comes back. We toyed with moving west to Phoenix as my wife has much family in the area, but we are in no financial shape to take on 2 house payments & will not hand the keys over to the bank. Short sale may be a stark reality if it doesnt rebound in the next few years. We like the neighborhood, & are very happy with Monteith, just dont know what to expect from Parcells when the time comes. I wish you luck in Houston, & I hope you get a fair price for your home.

Harsensis

Post Number: 344
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, we will walk away with nothing from our house. I just want to protect our credit as much as possible. I thought I had all my credit taken care of that I needed and my new credit union messed up on adding on an overdraft line of credit. I just got declined for 500 dollars because I haven't paid my house payment up north for the last two months. We have always had good credit, this will just be a blip. We were just dieing up north, the jobs are much easier to find down here. I took a job with an airline so I can get home for free when I want. Montieth is a good school, I worked there for part of the year last year.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, the garbage guys say "Hi".

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, would you like me to post a photo. I can get it on Sunday, but I am not sure if it should go under the 'classifieds',

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce,

I have 2 at Brownell now...headed to South from there

Harsensis

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bullet, but it should be listed on the market shortly. Plus you spend enough time around there during the week, enjoy your weekend.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem, pal:

Harsensis GPF Crib

Harsensis

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bullet, I haven't been there since January when I flew in for the night to take home all of the stuff the family couldn't fit in when they were up there for Christmas. I sure don't miss that snow.

Goose, it will be back on the market shortly, but it has to be listed at the mortgage amount. I guess we have to do it like that, but we just want it gone.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father-in-law was in the first graduating class at GPN. He graduated illiterate.

In high school I ran track and field and cross country against both GP High Schools. Us blue-collar Macomb County kids with mostly substandard equipment beat the socks off the Grossee Pointers and their top of the line, brand new equipment every time.

Those are my memories of GPN.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, that sure wasn't when I went there in the late 70's. North was in the middle of a streak that I think exceeded 100 straight dual meet wins in track. We were in what was called the Bi-County league then and the two years I ran cross country I remember running in the league championship and beating every kid from the nine other schools and still coming in 15th place because we had so many good runners at North. What equipment do you need to run? Are you telling me that the kids from South Lake are running in their dad's old steel toed work boots?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka1---Was Tom Gaerke the track/cross country coach then? He went on to become the Athletic Director at North and has now retired. We sit at the same table each Fri morning at the Ecumenical Breakfast. Good guy. Tom Teatart sits with us, too. They named the high school athletic field after Gaerke

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somebody *cough, bvos, cough* has a chip on their shoulder...

heh.

Harsensis

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goose, the house it up on the MLS now, MLS ID# 30599189 It's listed for less than our mortgage, we just want to move it out. Bullet put a pic of it above and most people walk in and say "I never expected this from looking at the outside".

Gps
Username: Gps

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GPN Class of '99. Ran Cross Country and Track and played Hockey. Pat Wilson was our Cross Country and Track coach, we were decent.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, yes Tom Gauerke was the coach. He used to ride his bike behind us and whistle while we were doing our eight mile runs after school. We were always looking for a chance to bail and take a short-cut back to school. There was a good escape route cutting across the C.C. of Detroit golf course and getting back to Cook Road. The best time ever, two of us cut down Provencal and found a bottle of Heineken sticking out of a snow bank. We popped the cap off on the curb and drank it while we walked back to school while the rest of them ran another five miles. Maybe that was why I was finishing 15th or 20th? Next time you see him, ask him how many straight track meets North won. I always wondered how much longer it went on after I graduated in 1980.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat Wilson was the coach when I was on the track team in the early 90s. On one of our routes, we used to use Provencial as a street and then cut through someone's yard to the Hunt Club, and to Cook Rd. Good times.

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of '91.