Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Martha Reeves gets robbed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha Reeves now realizes what a lot of her other fellow Detroiters have known for years ... you can't
own anything without fear of being robbed unless you have bars on your windows and guards on your property. She acted surprised about the fact that the cops weren't right there to stop it. Even funnier, that the neighbors somehow could or should have stopped the theft.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha and the Vandals.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3101
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Channel 7:

"Detroit police are investigating a robbery at a house owned by City Council member Martha Reeves.

The break in occurred sometime today. The home where Reeves grew up, and not her current residence.

Investigators say musical equipment was among the items taken from the Motown legend's home."

I wish the media would use correct terminology. It was a burglary, not a robbery. But they never let that get in the way of a good story, do they? :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

supposedly, a million bucks worth of recording equipment was stolen

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The burglary didn't happen today, happened on Sunday. By "media" getting burglary/robbery wrong, you mean "TV."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080505/M ETRO/805050441

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame did it.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6458
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you spell EASTSIDE?

jjaba.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lemme get this right: you have 1 million dollars worth of valuables and equipment in an uninsured vacant house? OK, maybe I'm wrong about the vacant part, the article just says 'she' didn't live there but still, does that sound bright?

Oh, yeah, right, it's a member of 'common' council; can't put "bright" and "council" in the same paragraph.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba you're terrible!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7762
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But wait! From one million down to $100,000 worth of goods now.

Martha needs better estimates!

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so now we know math is NOT her strong suit.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 billion worth of equipment and she was uninsured???

dumbass....

bet it was more like $100 worth of junk that got taken....

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11612
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Paul - Go fuck yourself, you left the city and contribute nothing. your opinions count for as much as the junk mail you delivered all those years.

What is funny is that I am significantly younger than you but I can assure you that my little home in Detroit has much more worth of value than your home in your fancy suburb.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want to compare: jt1_detroit@yahoo.com. Of course the opinion of a mailman is worth the price of your typical stamp.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Want a refinance?

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROFLMAO Mortgageking

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that nasty attack on Paul about? I've heard the expression "going postal" before. Sounds like it has afflicted you.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm ticked that Martha's burglary has gotten as much press as it has. I could understand it if they had taken a bunch of her Motown memorabilia, but we're talking about recording equipment--in other words, this burglary was not much different than any other burglary that takes place in the city.

And while I know she's upset and feels violated, she has a lot of nerve going on TV and calling out her neighbors for not seeing what was going on. One of the stations reported that she bought the lot on each side of her house, and that alone would put a fair amount of distance between her house and her neighbors.

If anything, she needs to call out herself for being foolish enough not to have insurance for the items that were stolen. God knows we pay her enough to sit on the council, I know she could afford it.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suggested song titles for her new album:

"Crimewave"
"Robbing in the Streets"
"Quickgrab"
"Jimmy (the door a) Crack"

and you don't have to change this one:

"Come and Get These Memories" because I guess they did.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing left to steal on the Westside, I guess.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, just maybe, now that crime has touched her personally and it is no longer an abstraction that happens to "other" people, she'll actually start doing her job. I believe hearings on the DPD are starting? Hopefully she'll show up.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's getting attention because she's a council member and an older star.

As it SHOULD get attention, by the way - because maybe it will light the fire under the arse of some folks to change things. Sometimes, it takes higher-profile PR problems to push things along.

As for the TV stations covering - OF COURSE they would. "Even a councilperson can get robbed in that city" is a great way to bring in suburban viewers.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide."....We'll see about that! This is Detroit!

I'm still trying to figure out how some of you think we shouldn't be upset about EVERY crime that takes place in this city no matter who the victim is.

Ray1936 wrote: "I wish the media would use correct terminology. It was a burglary, not a robbery. But they never let that get in the way of a good story, do they?"

Robbery: The felonious taking of the property of another from his or her person or in his or her immediate presence, against his or her will, by violence or intimidation.

Burglary: The act of entering a building or other premises with the intent to commit theft.

Larceny: The unlawful taking and removing of another's personal property with the intent of permanently depriving the owner; theft.

(No offense.)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bet it's all been unloaded at the Mega Pawn at 8 & Gratiot by now.

The amount of thievin' that goes on in this town - it's mind-boggling.

Jt1

Post Number: 11617
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What was that nasty attack on Paul about? I've heard the expression "going postal" before. Sounds like it has afflicted you.

Because of his 978 posts about 950 are the same non-sense. He brings nothing to the forum but the same garbage over and over.

Out of line on my part? Sure. But after reading hundreds of posts of the same crap from a bitter old mail carrier it gets old. Paul essentially represents why this region as a whole will never move forward. Until his generation dies off we will be stuck with his bs and the bs of many like him.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He brings nothing to the forum but the same garbage over and over."

I think this is a pretty accurate description of YOUR posts, Jt and yet I am still able to function without attacking. Shame you can't say the same.

Jt1

Post Number: 11621
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

think this is a pretty accurate description of YOUR posts, Jt and yet I am still able to function without attacking. Shame you can't say the same.

While many of my posts contribute little I would say my garbage is around 50% whereas his are around 98%. I point to my most recent post about the Bohemian house as something positive or beneficial. Whne was Paul's last post that was anything beyond his typical?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Paul essentially represents why this region as a whole will never move forward."

Typical example of someone not taking responsibility for their own actions. When you have no answers; are pissed at your circumstances and don't do anything to change things, blame someone else.

Jt1

Post Number: 11625
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Typical example of someone not taking responsibility for their own actions. When you have no answers; are pissed at your circumstances and don't do anything to change things, blame someone else.

How am I not taking responsibility for my actions. I am speaking of the lack of regionalism and cooperation in this region.

I am pretty happy with my circumstance and am working to imrpove the city. Of course that comment is hysterical coming from someone that is always bitching about people buying foreign cars and how management has hurt you and your poor little unions.

I would suggest that you take your own advice when you point the fingers at others regarding the downfall of the domestic auto insdustry and ignore the role that you and your union brothers and sisters played.

Make all the asumptions you want about me and my circumstances. It makes it more entertaining everytime you whine about the domestic auto industry and the way the poor line workers are screwed by everyone else.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There wouldn't be any unions if companies and corporations treated their employees decently.
They brought it on themselves.
I think the city is finally doing just fine in trying to get rid of Kwame. The council is finally showing they have some cajones. That new attorney was a smart move.
How's that for being positive?

Jt1

Post Number: 11642
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There wouldn't be any unions if companies and corporations treated their employees decently.

Agreed.

quote:

They brought it on themselves.

Partial agreement. Depends upon who you consider 'they'. If 'they' have been people over the last 50+ years, I agee.

quote:

I think the city is finally doing just fine in trying to get rid of Kwame. The council is finally showing they have some cajones. That new attorney was a smart move.

Agreed. Hopefully they can get him out as soon as possible whether it be through CC or Granholm.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow this thread sure turned into something. I will say this:

Typical snapshot of Detroit. (The thread, not the news story)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You suck!

yeah..... you!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The citizens of Detroit may have gotten robbed, when Martha Reeves won her election IMO

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.