Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Building on Gratiot next to "Cash City" torn down « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed that the one story building, on Gratiot between The Detroit Pub and the Cash City Pawn shop was torn down, seemingly overnight. Does anyone know if there is a plan for this site, or is it just becoming another surface lot? That building was such an eyesore, but so is the 15 foot hole in the ground sitting there right now...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4743
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That wart of a building facing Brush St. near the DPM tracks?

That's one I won't miss. Hopefully that will make that block more prime for appropriate redevelopment facing Brush and Gratiot.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, given the current state of the economy, they probably had to create more parking for Cash City.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned that 4 hours ago.

Anyway, I'll miss all the good times my Dad and I had at that Hot Sam's location. The new location has a much more suburban feel to it.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Compuware parking deck is anything but suburban.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh yes Mackinaw, "more prime" for "appropriate development" Does everyone here have their heads in the sand? That will be a flat parking lot, forever....in a sea of the ugliest flat lots in the city.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4746
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it will be. And you're right.

I'm just saying, it would be easier to add a nice new building to that block now than before when the parcel had the awkward shape because of that one-story building. I don't expect anything anytime soon.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the architecure is very suburban. And the white box stores very unappealing for high end retail.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ahh yes Mackinaw, "more prime" for "appropriate development" Does everyone here have their heads in the sand? That will be a flat parking lot, forever....in a sea of the ugliest flat lots in the city."

Guess again, Montcalm and Clifford are the ugliest flat lots in the city.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sorta see what you're saying, Rax - it's like it's designed to be seen from a distance, like a lot of the suburban towers.

However, that said, I think Compuware is probably the best place for retail right now. You have some clientele in the building, built-in parking (super key).

Unfortunately, G-man is probably right on that flat lot. At least I hope it becomes a decently fenced, landscaped flat lot. Since it's new construction, the city should enforce it's own rules if it indeed is going to be more parking. Surface parking sucks, but it's what people visiting want.

--rathole--

I know a few businesses that offer free - FREE garage parking, and suburbanites would much rather park on the street and pay for it themselves... then complain that their car might get broken into. If you went to the FREE garage, there is a lot less chance you're going to get broken into or the car stolen - but the logic of most people I've given up on in this region.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.