Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Good time to put down seed??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive got my "razzle Dazzle tomatos", "sweet cubanalle peppers", and "Bartlett hybrid melons" started indoors today to put outside in spring. Im new to this, can someone tell me when to put my sweet corn, cucumbers and sunflower seed in the ground. They all say "after danger of frost" on the Burpee packs. When exactly is that in SE Michigan? Ive been told Mid june but others say much earlier. Wheres Farmer Frank when I need him.

Also wondering how to tell if a seed is organic. I bought my seed through Burpee Seed Co. which my family of farmers has been buying from for generations.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - my dad always started his seeds in the ground mid May, but would not put the tomato or pepper plants in till the end of the month. He was raised on a farm and his garden has always produced wonderful veggies. About the melons, I'm not sure on that, he never took a chance on growing those. Good luck! Hope you find out you have a green thumb!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually end of may is considered safe from frost. You can go mid-may but be mindful of the weather especially when skies go clear and the winds go calm overnight. Here's some more info.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/fr ost/

Django

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, both of you, Looks like May 12 is the last day for the average frost. Il wait a week or so after that just to be safe.
Id also be willing to trade some work rototilling their garden if they had a rototiller to let me use on mine if anyones interested.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memorial day is usually considered a safe bet for planting tender vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons around these parts. You can try hardier plants like corn and beans even now, but it's probably safer to plant a few each week until the end of May, in case of frost or storm damage. You could have planted hardier things like lettuce and peas and broccoli a few weeks ago though. Hope this helps!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget Flower Day @ Eastern Market is May 18th! Perfect place to get your plants if you haven't already

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12640
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

Meet me at Cub's Community garden tomorrow morning...we can work out that tilling issue.

You will love Cub, he's one of the good ones, too...actually he makes a few of us look less shiny, heh, but not on purpose.

jjgannon (at) ix (dot) netcom (dot) com

As for your planting problems, success has more to do with planting them during the proper MOON PHASE...get a Farmer's Almanac, dude, and learn from antiquity. You will also want to plant a few things which chase away and/or distract potential pests and critters...and other things to feed the BEES you'll start keeping, too!

There is nothing new under the sun, and it is fine time we learned the old ways once again...and find those who never forgot and listen to them forever.

Cheers!

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon hit it on the button. Spend the few bucks for an "Old Farmers Almanac" read it! there is a wealth of information contained therein concerning planting, solunar tables, as well as "old-timey" humor, helpful hints and little bits of nonsense that make it well worth the few bucks spent. If it does not have the hole drilled clean through in the upper left corner, it's not the real deal. (the hole is to allow you to hang it on a nail for quick reference) I had a small "truck farm" for a while during the late 80s and early 90s. When I followed the Almanac's planting dates I did well, two years in a row I decided that it was a bunch of crap, and went on my own, from my "vast experience". I lost almost all crops to a Memorial Day weekend freeze when I thought I would make a killing due to my crops being in early, and progressing about three weeks ahead of everyone else in the area. I lost a total of nearly 4 Acres of melons, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and summer squash. Later in August I found that the potatoes I thought had survived, (1/2 Ac. of Red Chiefs) were ruined by a fungus that appeared as a hard kernal and nasty dark void in the center of every potato. I was supplementing my income to the tune of $4-5K a year with that little operation, and was totally wiped out. I only raise a few tomatoes for the wife and our necessary herbs in pots now. (even though we have year round gardening here in South Florida, almost anything can be grown, at any time)
BTW any type of gardening, on even a very small scale is rewarding, healthy, and good for your blood pressure and outlook on life.

Django

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been meaning to pick up an Almanac, My Grandfather who was a farmer turned me on to it many years ago. I havnt bought one in a few years.
Gannon, Ill try and make it, cant promise though. Id like to get this dirt tilled.Ill do my best.
I went out to My Great Uncles house in Ypsi, Rowes Produce if anyones heard of it, Interviewed him for a little documentary for our family. Hes been a farmer all his life,he gave me a few good stories.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.