Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DPS Teachers Help! After-School Program expanding to new schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for some DPS teachers or administrators that can help us bring our after school program to new schools. We're currently in 7 DPS high schools and 10 suburban high schools and we want to expand. It's really hard to get started in DPS without a supportive contact to help us out.

Here's our website: www.buildingwithbooks.org

and here's what we do: We get students involved in local and global community service. Our staff and students set up community service opportunities after school and on weekends and our goal is for our students to do 8 hours of community service a month. Our students also raise money to fund our international programs, which build school houses in developing countries. We offer two students (or a student and a teacher) each year a chance to travel, for free, to one of our project countries to live in a rural village and help with the construction of the school. This summer we've got students and teachers from Osborn, Renaissance, and Pershing going to Mali and this february I went with a group from Western and Cass Tech to Nicaragua.

what we need: A teacher or administrator who will support us by letting us mean in a classroom, recruiting students to the program, coming to the occasional saturday project, getting administrative backing for student fundraisers and helping spread the word throughout the school.

To sum up: You work with us, put in a little extra work each week and we help your students get involved in positive after school activities. Also, you can get a free trip to Africa out of the deal.

sound good?
email me at lwallace@buildingwithbooks.org

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.