Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » May 10th Workday at Fort Wayne « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the monthly shout out to all who are interested in helping to restore this cities premier military history site! As usual, there is more work than people to do it, so if you could, please think about donating a day of your time to this most worthy of causes.

This workday is particularly important due to the fact that it is the last workday we have before we begin our 2008 season.

We appreciate all of you who volunteer.

If you are interested in coming out, please let us know via this thread by responding in the affirmative. We ask for these responses so that we can adequately schedule all of those who come out to work ahead of time.

If you haven't been to the Fort in a while, please come out. I think you would be really surprised at what has been accomplished with just a few dedicated volunteers!

See you at the Fort!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Date? Time?

Should we bring the Ivy Block?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday, May 10, 2008

9 AM to 5 PM

Much work has been done to eradicate the poison ivy, but it's hard (or impossible) to get it all. Birds help the propagation by ingesting the tasty white berries (seeds) in the fall. So yes, Ivy Block would not be a bad idea. And washable work gloves.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11630
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res - You guys do great work but is there anyway of changing the date? The 10th is one of the days of the Motor City Makeover so you may lose out on some volunteers with conflicting vounteer work.

Just something that jumped in my mind when I saw the 10th.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres- If you are out there on May 10, can you check out for me or even see for yourself if one of the two old Detroit Zoo's Steam locomotives is sitting out in an open yard behind or next to a storage warehouse? I have seen somewhat recent pictures of it and it looks like it is in several parts, just collecting rust. Sad. The other old locomotive ( they were donated to the Zoo in the mid-30's by The Detroit News), has been restored and is a static display at the train station at the Zoo.
Many thanks.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit-

Ivy block! You crack me up! We don't need no stinkin' ivy block!

But seriously, over the winter, some of the grounds staff who are not allergic to the stuff went out and destroyed the entire visible amount of ivy that they could get to. It was then disposed of so that it coud no longer do any harm. Not to make light of the situation, I would heed Crystal's advice and bring it along anyway, just in case.

As for the date, I thought I covered that in the title of the thread, but I did miss the time. Again, heed Crystal's advice. We generally get started between 9 and 9:15.

Jt1-

We planned the workday schedule in January 2008, before the dates for this years MCM were announced. Considering there are three dates for the MCM this year, it would have been tough to miss 'em!

We have inadvertantly partnered with the MCM folks working their way down Livernois from Fort toward the entrance to Fort Wayne for the past two years. The MCM does a great job of cleaning the areas around the Fort, and we try to meet them as far out as we can-usually not very far from the Fort, though. I wish we could do more, but our membership is still kind of small and we really have our hands full just taking care of the Fort.

There are workdays throughout the year. If you can't attend this one, perhaps you can come out to the 6-21, 7-26 or 8-16 workdays instead.

The_rock-

It will be my pleasure to inquire as to the where abouts of said train. I know of only one warehouse on the site, the CRC (Collections Resource Center), closer to Zug Island, on the southwest corner of the property. I have, in all of my trips down to the Center, never seen anything such as you describe, but I don't know everything about the place, so I will ask for you.

I will give you an update on Sunday, promise.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11632
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res - I am going to try to make it out this week since I did MCM stuff last week.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1-

It will be my pleasure to make your acquaintance! Please ask for me after you sign in at building 112, the Coalition headquarters.

Let the guard at the gate know that you are coming to the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition workday.

Thanks for your effort. We appreciate it very much!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of work might I be doing? Painting? Digging? Cutting grass?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space-

Quoted from the monthly workday notice:

"Some of the projects that we have planned for the May 10 workday that we will need assistance are:

- Repair the Spanish American Guardhouse porch, including priming and painting

- Front Porch railing of the Commandant’s Quarters

- Continue stripping and glazing the two removed 1848 windows

- Prime one of the 1848 barracks windows restored by the Randolph School

- 2nd coat of paint on the Front fascia of Casemate #3

- Repair to the Commandant’s Quarters backyard fence

- Repair to the Spanish American Guardhouse backyard gate

- Remove the remaining identified three windows from the 1848 barracks

- Paint protective board for the three removed 1848 windows and install

- Assess shutters for use/repair for the front of the Commandant’s Quarters

- TONS of grounds maintenance!"

Let me know what you are good at and I'll slot you in somewhere!

Also, introduce yourself to me if you get the chance. It would be my pleasure to meet you!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.