Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DWSD Chief Resigns « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have inside info on this? I know CC gave him a lot of grief about his water increases.. was he just fed up?

DWSD Chief Resigns

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a good link.

I don't have any inside information on the specific reason(s) for his departure, but I've heard that he was well-respected in his professional circles. Given the current theatrics of City Council and the mayor's self-induced legal and political problems, I suspect that it will be a long time before Mercado's position will get permanently filled.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11633
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect that it is a combination of concern over what happens to KK, city council and the region as a whole.

Anyone that has gone to a community forum that he attended to explain how rates are set would understand why he would want to leave.

As a professional in the field he probably couldn't deal with the continual stupid questions like "If you bill on peak time why don't you tell us when the peak usage is so we can reduce our usage on that day."

Being the boogey man to a region that is grossly ignorant in understanding how rates are set he probably just got fed up. When I saw him speak to leaders in different communities I haven't seen such a lack of professional courtesy (outside of Detroit and Warren city council)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're aren't being negative are you?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine who used to work for City Council said Mercado was one of the most upstanding, intelligent people that reported to council on a regular basis.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Queried by Ken Cockrel about where in Florida he was headed, Mercado continued to decline to answer but thanked the City of Detroit.

"I'll be somewhere in Florida," he said, adding, "I will no longer deal with city councils, and I will deal with a board."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080509/NEW S01/805090323/1003/NEWS01

Being from Puerto Rico and living in this climate probably didn't help either.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He seemed to get a lot of disrespect from some council members (Jo Ann Watson in particular).
No doubt he's glad he's booking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.