Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Open Grill in City Parks Illegal????? » Archive through May 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbors and I have been begun grilling in Grand Circus Park. We did so on Saturday and Sunday with no problems, but on Monday my friend fired up the grill and Detroit Police came and told him to put it out or he'd be fined. Is there a city ordinance regarding this? Is it really ok to smoke crack in the park, but not ok to fire up a grill? Any Detroit Police on DY that can clarify this for me?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly dont know, but do know that many times cops make up the law as they see fit. Often depends what side of the bed they rolled off, sometimes they rolled off the couch, ect. Ive found the DPD to be pretty cool for the most part though, Id rather deal with the DPD than any other cop in the state, thats for sure, if your not doing anything seriously wrong, they dont have time for you. Theyve seen it all. One of the beauties of livin in the D

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have grilled in Grand Circus Park before. We offered some officers a hot dog one time. They obviously had no problems with it.

That's really strange.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12637
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you met an angry, protein-deficient Vegan cop?!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it really ok to smoke crack in the park, but not ok to fire up a grill? Any Detroit Police on DY that can clarify this for me?

Yeah, because the police walked past all the people smoking crack in GCP to bitch at you about your open grill.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the legality, but I'll say this: it's exceptionally tacky and uncouth.

Grand Circus is a formal Downtown park. Barbequing there is like grilling on your front porch - it's just classless. Belle Isle, Clark Park, Rouge Park, and Palmer Park would be good alternatives.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sentiments exactly Eric_c.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11616
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to Eric_c's comments - Just go to Zaccarros buy some meat, cheese and bread and make yourself a little picnic basket and enjoy that at GCP as opposed to griling.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just haul down your couch, get a case of St. Ide's for a foot stool and fire up that charcoal for a little keeping it real in the D.

Classy man.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with distinguishing GCP from other city parks. As long as folks don't park their grill and other stuff in the middle of the sidewalk, there shouldn't be a problem. What else is too classless for GCP? Playing catch with a frisbee or football? Sitting on the grass? Reading NASCAR Weekly? As long as the use isn't obnoxious, loud or some kind of nuisance, downtown residents should be able to use the park as they like.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know Gnome, your comment reminded me of this classic:

http://www.bundyology.com/hpg/ 519.html
http://www.bundyology.com/hpg/ 520.html

Gannon

Post Number: 12649
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you, Swingline.

Plus, classless people need to eat, too. As long as everyone cleans up after themselves, including that stuff that happened to be on the ground before they got there...I have NO trouble with this benign park usage.

Better that than leaving it to the crackheads and winos and vagrants that end up there when it's empty and peaceful for them.

Formal park...that is an oxy-moronic statement if I ever heard one.

We used to grill on the DIA's front lawn when I lived at the Park Shelton.

Classless and cluelessly cheering y'all!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6508
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not classy enough for Grand Circus Park. Well, now I've heard it all.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The world is what you make it, boys. I suppose none of you would see any problem wearing wife beaters and jeans to the Book-Cadillac's grand opening gala, either. There is a time and a place for everything.

Grand Circus is a formal park. Harmonie and Campus Martius, too. There's nothing "oxy-moronic" about it at all.

Like I said, just like grilling on your front porch.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 603
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Officer Supersport? He can give us an official ruling!

If anyone knows the difference between what's the law and what's classless, it's Supersport.

(Message edited by dds on May 07, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 12651
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c,

Judge harshly all you want...making the match with wearing an open-shouldered t-shirt to some officially formal function is quite a stretch even for you. You used to be more logical, at least before you chose to only dump your criticisms here instead of adding positives to the mix.

First time we met, you had what you'd call a 'wife-beater' on, come to think of it...but we couldn't call Captain Jack's riverfront tour exactly a formal function. It would be easy enough for one to judge anyone who chooses to wear one of those anywhere...let alone use such an offensive term to describe a simple article of clothing. I'm sure you don't beat your own wife, and I'd bet you still have those in your wardrobe.

Where are the signs that it is this elusively defined 'formal' park? Who has done the zoning definitions on these things? Or is it just in someone's loose personal definition so they can throw their judgements upon unsuspecting others?

Each one of your formal parks seem to get informally used and abused all the time...I don't see anywhere that this has reared its head before this instance, hence our conversation. The only one with any sanctity at all is Campus Martius, and ONLY because they have privately-funded security.

Awaiting your acerbic reply...

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahahaha Eric-C...as classless as grilling on your front porch? You want me to make up a list of things YOU can't do on your own property? With all the apathy regarding ownership of property in this city, I don't think an open grill on your front porch would exactly be described as blight. Furthermore, GCP is the closest city park to my residence and I can use it any way I please, as long as I am obeying city ordinances. I'm asking if anyone has information on a city ordinance regarding this issue. I'm not asking for your approval or opinion on how I spend my recreation time.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sec. 40-1-26. Use of firearms or fireworks; kindling of fires.

Within or upon any parks, public places and boulevards, no person shall fire or discharge any revolver or other firearm, nor kindle nor build a fire, except in places designated by the recreation department, nor throw stones or other missiles, nor fire, discharge or set off any rocket, cracker, torpedo, squib or other fireworks containing any substance of an explosive nature. The last inhibition shall not prevent special fireworks exhibitions to be given under the auspices or direction of the department, upon special permit issued by the department.

And I'm assuming, the city has designated spots in parks that allow grilling. I have seen no designated areas like that in GCP like there are on Belle Isle or other larger parks.

I'll agree with Eric_c on this one.

quote:

Furthermore, GCP is the closest city park to my residence and I can use it any way I please, as long as I am obeying city ordinances. I'm asking if anyone has information on a city ordinance regarding this issue. I'm not asking for your approval or opinion on how I spend my recreation time.

Most responsible citizens would have found out before the fact. But that's just my opinion.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though they may be up in your grill, this probably isn't about your grill..

This very much looks like me they found some ordinance somewhere to prevent folks from gathering on the park for demonstrations, etc.

There was just that pro-marijuana rally - would make sense that they find ways to make that not happen again.

Gannon

Post Number: 12655
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and people undoubtedly spark fires temporarily there...heh.

But, I'd go for the 'kindle and build' definition...get those coals a burnin' at home then carry the damn grille down to the park hot...THEN do your grilling.

Won't be any fires then...no offense. Just creative classiness...I mean classlessness.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the reason why the Lions' tale gates are held at Eastern Market--no open flames are allowed in the CBD!

Eric_c

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The world is what you make it boys - ghetto is as ghetto does.

If you elect to engage in behavior that degrades your surroundings, or for that matter, use the weak argument that just because everyone else shits on the place, it's gotta be OK to piss on it, so be it. God knows there's no place for grace or sound judgement in Detroit, right?

Incidently, Gannon, the only "stretch" in my illustrative example was that which was intended to demonstrate the ridiculousness of the overall concept.

There is a time and a place.

Additionally - don't make assumptions - I proudly beat the living shit out of my wife and will continue to do so as long as there's a breath left in me. I do not, however, grill on my front porch. That would be downright tasteless.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Hamtramck its against the law to grill on your front porch or balcony and I don't see what wrong with grilling at your neighborhood park. Drive to Belle Isle sounds very suburban.

Gannon

Post Number: 12657
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Additionally - don't make assumptions - I proudly beat the living shit out of my wife and will continue to do so as long as there's a breath left in me. I do not, however, grill on my front porch. That would be downright tasteless.

Thanks for the gut laugh, I know you've not lost that precious sense of humor.

There IS a time and a place...let's make MORE places for groups to have cookouts, then, if the need is so great in the CBD.

How hard is it to find the third solution instead of merely judging another?

I'm all for neighborhood cookouts...the camaraderie and companionship are things we need to encourage.

So, instead of writing tickets, make a place acceptable nearby and encourage its proper useage. Then be consistent and keep those 'formal' parks completely clean.

Same with the homeless...they need a place, too.

Don't just scold and chase away...bring forth a real and true solution and make this place BETTER. Let's make solutions, not just move the problems around and away from our sight.

Cheers

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time I drive by GCP and see garments hanging on a clothes line strung out by the statute of Hazen Pingree, I will know who is doing their wash.
Same illogical analogy.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know... I had the same issue the other day in the alley between Griswold and Woodward.

I sat there, squatted and attempted to relieve myself. Then, out of nowhere, a police officer showed up. And, can you believe what happened next - he had the nerve to ticket me for indecent exposure! Oh my gosh - I am just a mere human! Can you believe that. Everyone uses that alley to dump. I thought that since it was an informal place, an informal alley, I could do what I wanted. What the heck is this city coming to? No mere public dumping, no mere grilling downtown? Where's that casual sense of je ne sais quois that defines Detroit?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6511
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far having a barbeque in the park has been equated to pooping in an alley, smoking crack, hanging your laundry on Hazen Pingree, and wearing a wife beater to the grand opening of the Book Cadillac. Dang!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6784
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think that Charlottepaul hit the nail on the head... "No open flames allowed in the CBD". I remember that ruling when Ford Field opened up.

As for different types of parks, I sorta have to agree with Eric_c... GCP is more of an "ornamental" park. It has formal landscaping with fountains, pools and sculptures. You don't see any horseshoe pits, baseball diamonds or swing sets there, do you? Ditto for BBQ.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spot-on, The_rock! HA!

I'm the first to admit that I know how to stare down my nose, but standards are in place for a reason.

Gannon is right, though. It's actually a great thing to hear that the residents in Downtown are there at all and looking to grill, at that.

Now, maybe, as the neighborhood grows and refines it's sensibilities, the neighbors themselves will move to create their own sanctioned grilling park.

No more clothes lines in GCP!

Eric_c

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok paraphrases brilliantly.